Ammo search engine

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AmmoSeek, Jun 15, 2010.

1. AmmoSeek

AmmoSeek G&G Newbie

There are a number of search engines out there to find ammo for the best prices, I've created one that I believe is above all others: AmmoSeek.com

Others are:
    AmmoEngine.com
    AmmoSpy.com
    AmmoNow.com
    Gun-Deals.com
    But what I found are that these didn't fill all my needs. What makes AmmoSeek.com better than the others?

• We search the most number of retailers
    • We include only in-stock items
    • We update our database a minimum of every 6 hours. (We have an arrangement with some retailers to get updated prices hourly).
    • We allow search by grain, manufacturer, by arbitrary keyword, etc.
    Bear in mind that we don't sell anything, and we don't make a dime if you find ammo through us and end up making a purchase. Our aim is to make the best ammunition search engine possible, so comments, suggestions, and criticisms are welcome. Feel free to contact me through our "Contact Us" form, or via this message board.

--Mike Miller, AmmoSeek.com
  2. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

This is actually pretty useful, thanks.
  3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

One thing I like better about gun-deals is you can input your zip code and it will calculate price per round and total cost with the shipping costs added in.
  4. AmmoSeek

AmmoSeek G&G Newbie

This, along with adding reloading components, is probably among the two most-requested features.

We've certainly considered the idea, but the main problem is that there's no easy way to implement it. Many sites require that you add items to a cart and begin the checkout process (and sometimes even give payment information) before shipping costs are shown. And then there's the complication that if you order two boxes, the shipping cost doesn't double, but only increased by a small amount. And there's no good way to factor this in because I don't know how many boxes you want. :)

If you notice on gun-deals, not all products have the shipping costs added in, and when they do, they are merely very rough estimates.

Given that so many people request this service, we will still give the idea serious consideration. Likely, eventually, we'll implement something along these lines.

Thanks for your thoughts!

-Mike
  5. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

nice site, very complete. thanks for posting. hope to see you post more than just a link to your site though. welcome to gun and game mike !
  6. AmmoSeek

AmmoSeek G&G Newbie

Thanks for the compliment, tracer.
    Until now I've been just a lurker. With two small children (a toddler and an infant) at home and spending all my "free" time working on AmmoSeek, I don't have anywhere near as much time as I'd like to contribute to the forums or even go to the range (although I did take my wife out a few weekends ago to run a half dozen clips through my XDm .40).
  7. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

understand completly