ammo shipping costs!?!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by billy, Mar 10, 2009.

1. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i just got taken to the cleaners at THE UPS STORE.
    it is the only game in town for shipping ammo.
    almost 40 bucks to ship a few hundred rounds.
    i am never shipping ammo again.
    i gave a fellow g n g member here a deal on some ammo.
    i sold it below my cost and told him i would cover shipping.
    jesus i lost my shirt!
    NEVER AGAIN!
  2. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

That is exactly the same issues we have in the UK, very few shippers will ship ammo now due to all the Hazmat regs and it costs an arm and a leg. That's why when I buy ammo, my buddies and I all get together and do group buys just to make it economical. One of the few shippers in the UK is the aptly named company TNT.
  3. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Same is true for shipping firearms back to manufacturer for repairs. UPS charged me $52 for next day air (required by manufacturer). The item didn't make it next day, it arrived the second day...to make it short, I called UPS on the situation and, believe it or not, the UPS store I used refunded the $52 in full.
    Billy, keep an eye on the shipment and if it doesn't arrive when it's scheduled to arrive...go raise holey hell (politely) with the store...you might win out.
    I agree, shipping costs for the private sector are out-of-control. I wonder why the shipping is so high when a 28# case of .22lr only costs a dealer about $14...does UPS have a business discount?

(I know, I mispelled holy but it was on purpose)
  4. billy

like i said.
    never again......
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Aw come on Billy, I need some ammo!:)

I thought UPS hazmat was only 20 bucks. Does a UPS store actually charge double that?
  6. billy

the ups store charges anything they want.
  7. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

And you misspelled mispelled also. I/we know, that was on purpose also. lol

Gotta use that super saver or whatever it is? It costs about half of that $52 bucks? My FFL, well one of the FFL's I use told me about it.
  8. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

I have found that going to the local UPS stores are quite a bit higher than going directly to the actual UPS shipping store. The reason is the markup so they make a few bucks. Since they are the only one where you live you were taken for sure.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

This kind of stuff drives me crazy !!
  10. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Loaded ammo doesn't require Hazmat - only powder and primers. Ammo does require the ORM-D labeling though.
    Will USPS ship ammo? If so, they have a fixed-rate box. Much cheaper.
  11. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

Big Dog I tried shipping new in the bag brass with no primers through USPS and they stated they would not do it. They considered it ammo and wouldn't ship. I had to ship it through fed ex.
  12. failsafe

failsafe G&G Newbie

i used to ship ammo for a company using ups . keep the package under 65 lbs . 64.1 lbs will round up to 65.lable package ormd -cartridges small arms .buisnees do get a discount , the amount of discount depends on the volume of packages the buisness ships daily, greater volume gives a buissness more leverage when talking to a ups sales rep if ups sends a 18 wheeler to pick up daily you can be shure thier rates are much less than u or i wiil pay, i compared the cost once for a simple non ormd package i could have paid close to half of what it cost from work as oppesed to shipping ups from staples or another ups outlet,
  13. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Its always car parts guys its ALWAYS CAR PARTS . YOUR HONESTY WILL SCREW YOU AT THE POST OFFICE , OR ANY OTHER SHIPPING COMPANY . Think about it fedex moves more drugs around this country than any cartel or so the bad guys tell us. And do you think they tell them what it is ? It's a car part thats all they want is a name to put in the box.
  14. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

Billy you got hosed. ORM-D has no extra associated cost at UPS if the clerk knows their own regs. Just write ORM-D Small Arms Cartridges in a rectangle on the box. Print the labels on my PC and drop them off at the UPS store.

Also on shipping fire arms, I typically just use a ups large golf club box and remove the stock wrap them separately in bubble wrap and ship. Usually costs around 16-18 bucks.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  15. TGF

TGF G&G Newbie

I just saw this, I get mil surplus brass all the time shipped to me in the large USPS priority boxes for flat-rate of like 8 bucks for under so many pounds.

I think the moral of this thread is two fold. Know the regs before you go in, and don't trust the minimum wage guy behind the counter.

Here is some decent info to get you guys started.

http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/shipping.htm
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  16. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Enthusiast

if it makes you feel better i sold a $50 videogame on ebay. ebay wouldnt let me charge more than $4 for shipping. UPS store charged me $10...for a cd and plastic case in a very small box. NEVER offer free shipping and ALWAYS charge more than what you think it will cost. thats the creed im living by at this point
  17. Never_Evil

Never_Evil G&G Enthusiast

I will never go to the UPS Store, just go to UPS itself, or Fed Ex, or the actual shipping place.
  18. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

UPS "stores" aren't UPS, they're basically privately owned mailing centers, and they're outrageous. I just ship the stuff in USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes. Just received a bunch of 9x18 yesterday from Big Boomer shipped that way.

Still need to figure out how to get those Jeep seats down there to ya. THAT'S gonna cost a bundle! It'd be great if we could find somebody driving down that way from here that could toss 'em in their truck and meet ya someplace.