AMT SS 380 9mm Kurz Back Up

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killsnapz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

I was given this pistol many years ago by a LEO who was retiring and used it as his backup weapon. I have never fired it and it has just been sitting in the safe. It is way to small for my hands to even hold properly without fear of catching the slide on my thumb. As you can see from the pictures it appears to be in very good contition. I am thinking of getting rid of it seeing as it does nothing but take up space and I am really not intersted in pistols. I found two listed on Gunbroker. One was bid up to $250 and the other $225. I know nothing about it and there is not alot of info I could find besides the fact that AMT went out of buisness years ago. The barrel is spotless and I can only imaging that it probally has not been fired more than twenty or thirty times in its lifetime. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I am hoping the local gunstore might take it in on trade on a Enfield or Mauser!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michael
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

amt went out of business for a reason.
    their products where horrible.
    inferior metal and workmanship. they tried to bring all the features to weapons for cheep but cut to many corners and you ended up wasting money. lots of failure to feed problems.
  3. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

fair sell of that gun would be around 215 bucks, maybe less or more depending on who it was

i wouldnt buy it for more than 180 personally
  4. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

if it was given to me i would shoot it but i wouldnt pay too much for one. put it up on gunbroker and let them decide the price.
  5. cjleete

cjleete G&G Enthusiast

AMT guns were like Detonics in the 80s, they either worked great or barely at all.
    They had some good ideas, like the factory 1911A1 longslide, which NO ONE made back in the day for less than an arm and a leg, and we were so used to working on our Colts that a little more work on a gun that cost a third less wasn't so onerous.
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

My favorite dealer routinely carries one of those as his 'in-store' gun. He's a competitive shooter and a collector and is vastly knowledgeable about firearms in general. He calls it his "baby Eagle." He has big hands, but he says it fits him perfectly and he's never had a malfunction with it. He has more pistols in his collection than you can count - but this is the one he chooses to carry in a place where he's most at risk of being robbed. That ought to tell you something.
  7. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

I had one I brought it to the range and it was not fun. Couldn't get it to feed or extract or eject reliably. I brought is back to the dealer and he credited my price to another firearm. They are not a very good firearm....
  8. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I have one, and have never had a failure of any kind. The recoil even with the little .380 is quite sharp on the web of the hand. A good jacket pocket gun. There really is no rear sight, so you more or less aim along that ridge. Mine shoots about 4" low at 10 yards which is quite sufficient for such a little defense gun. A real pain to dis-assemble....A perfect candidate for the spray cleaners. I like mine for the times I want to carry and concealment would be hard with normal small pistols.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

in 1981 3 of us bought AMT hardballers. all 3 functioned fine. I still have mine and use it often.
  10. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

i owned a hardballer II and it would fail to feed about one in every 10 rounds no matter which brand i tried.
  11. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

I am just not a pistol guy so I probally will try to trade it in. If I can't then I guess I can always put it up on gunbrker. One just sold there for $225 but it was slightly different in apperance than mine. I never shoud have sold my Italian made Beretta 92F that I bought back in 1988. My freind has one and I always make sure he brings it with him when we go so I can fire off some rounds. It is the only pistol that ever fit good in my big old paws andman that thing is easy to keep on target no matter how fast you want to empty the clip. Darn thing was heavy to carry though!

Michael