... and the BEST AR-15 handguards out there are ?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarryO1970, Nov 16, 2009.

1. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

... G&G Sisters and Brothers ... I am in the hunt for the best handguards out there. I am looking for rifle length handguards with a rail on the bottom (at least) that will accept a bipod.

... does not matter to me who makes it. Any suggestions with links?

Larry O
  2. Whootsinator

Whootsinator G&G Newbie

Well, if money is no issue, I'd grab just about anything from the Knight's Armament Company.
  3. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

I personally went with a YHM Lightweight FF rail system on my SPR build. It works great, no frills, takes a picatinny bipod, and you can put a cap on it, too.

Jim
  4. gunadvocate

gunadvocate G&G Newbie

I've got a surefire free float rail system and it works very well
  5. LarryO1970

Does anyone have these : Yankee Hill Machine AR-15 2 Piece Rifle Handguards (YHM-9803) = $139.99 ?
  6. at4rxj

at4rxj G&G Newbie

Full quad rail, go with Daniel Defense or LaRue, if money is an issue go with Midwest Industries, If you really need to scrimp go with YHM...

For a customizable setup, where you have a smooth tube you can add sections to, go with the JP Enterprises vtac handguard. If that's too expensive, settle for the YHM one.
  7. LarryO1970

... unfortunately, money IS an issue ... so I'll probably go with the Yankee Hill 2 piece for now. Maybe later I'll get a free floater ... we'll see. Eventually I'd like to get a Knights handguard ...

Larry O
  8. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

I have owned YHM, good equipment for the cost. I currently have Surefire on my AR and a 870 Remington. The Surefire fit and finish is spot on.
  9. gunsforlife

gunsforlife G&G Newbie

the Quad rail system handbags are very useful if you are going to use all the gadgets that you will also buy for them (lasers, flashlights grips and so on...)
    But to be honest, i just love my Free Float Forend with OM Rubber gripping area. Its just look SO elegant and cool!
  10. LarryO1970

... most of the gadgets don't really impress me any ... the idea is for a bipod mount without having to change out the gas block. (at least, not yet) ... and in the future, see what comes around for accessories that are actually useful. The Yankee Hill rails are pretty inexpensive, all things considered ... and they are going to do what I need. and I don't even use it.

... at work I was issued the AimPoint CompM2 and the AN/PEQ 2 and I don't even use them. I think it's a mixture of being cumbersome and a failure on my part to really adjust my personal engagement style ... although if I were in a theater where it was needed, I'd make it work.

Larry O
  11. jrswanson1

jrswanson1 G&G Newbie

Rails let you put multi-color covers on them as camouflage. They're also handy for attaching lights if you shoot at night. And bipods with rail attachments are easy on/easy off. And you can put a BUIS on them.

Jim
  12. LarryO1970

Jim ... take a look at my pics in the AR15/M16 pictures thread ...

Larry
  13. gunsforlife

gunsforlife G&G Newbie

I don’t know what your work is, but I used the AimpointComp a few times and I think its a VERY descent red dot... not expensive and very durable.
  14. gunsforlife

gunsforlife G&G Newbie

Also, if I may add, some soldiers use their bipods as a grip for assaulting. You save space, money and weight. But its not as comfortable as a good grip.
  15. ZombieHunter

ZombieHunter Suspended

An old friend of mine that just got out of the corps stopped by my store to show me his new CAR a month or so ago. I asked him if he was going to be replacing his round free-float with a quad-rail for this purpose, and he gave me a distinct "NO!". He told me he liked the comfort of his rounded handguard when he was in AfPak and later in Iraq when he had to actually "use the sights"...and if he needed a forward grip, there was always the mag well.

I believe it's MAKO industries that actually makes a mag-well grip for this exact purpose...
  16. gunsforlife

gunsforlife G&G Newbie

Really?? I never heard about this kind of mag. can be cool. I Googled MAKO industries mag but didn’t find anything... :(
  17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I really like my Yankee Hill Machine Carbine length ventilated free float tube. It came with two rails that can be attached in any of 8 locations (45 degrees apart), plus is threaded for a vertical grip or whatever. Since it's metal and not plastic, you could upsize any of the threaded holes to mount items that take bigger screws.

As is, it's round and lightly fluted with two ventilation holes in each of 4 "sides", 90 degrees apart. It's low enough that I could mount low riding irons on the flattop upper and see over it with no problems. Right now, I have a low profile gas block that is just barely shorter than the hand guard.

Midway has a very large selection from which to choose.
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  18. privateer

privateer G&G Newbie

Larry I have this rail mount in a box somewhere . It did not fit the ports on my colt handguard , if you think it it may work for you let me know.
    ETI UFIR=

John
  19. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

You might want to also consider composite over aluminum for less weight.
  20. Mojo

Mojo G&G Newbie

I'm gonna buy a trx extreme for my next rebuild

TRX Extreme