Annoying neighbor, country style

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DaTeacha, Jun 26, 2013.

1. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I'm caretaker for 93 acres of land my FIL owns. The upper 40 or acres is rented out as farmland. The lower area is a casual tree farm. The hillside between is hardwood forest and occasionally logged.

The neighbor to the south farms some of his land, but the westernmost part of both parcels is in a floodable zone behind a dam. He farms right up to the surveyed boundary line.

I don't get down along the line much, but a while back had occasion to come walking along the south line, checking how a logging job had gone, hunting mushrooms, generally messing around while my shoulder healed. I found several stumps of trees on our side of the line. These were not logged - too small, wrong species, cut several months ago, etc. I noticed the neighbor working with his tractor, so went to see him.

Asked him about the trees. After some discussion, he said he had cut them because they were intefering with his farming. Now some of these trees were 10 feet back from the line, and most of them were under a foot in diameter at the base. He claimed they were getting in the way of the planter so he just cut them down.

Examining the area a little closer discloses that he has a tree stand that is based on his ground but terminates in a tree on my FILs ground, which has the hunting rights leased. The trees that were cut are on either side of the stand and their absence gives a nice line of sight for deer moving out of the tree farm and onto his field or vice versa. He knows exactly where the line is as it was surveyed and he has placed 5 foot tall steel posts next to the surveyors marks. Sighting down the line shows his stand is over the line, but he denies it. The tree in which he sits is definitely on my FILs ground, overhangs his field by at least 25 feet, but he hasn't touched it except to trim branches next to his elevated seat.

I went to see him last night and told him his actions could constitute a 2nd degree misdemeanor according to the sheriff. I let him know my FIL is not at all happy and wants to make sure there is no further tree cutting.

He got all defensive and started acting like it was me who was in the wrong and telling me it was my responsibility to make sure the trees didn't get in his way. I told him he had the right to trim off branches that were over the line but that was all. He wondered why no one said anything when he had cut trees there previously (!).

He agreed to remove the stand before deer season starts and to call me about any further need to trim vegetation. If the stand is still there on day one, I will remove it myself. I don't know if I'll set it in his corn or just take it with me, but it will be gone. I'm pretty sure he'll "forget" to remove it. After agreeing to that, he told me we needed to clean out the ditch that carries water from a pond and springs down into the flood zone and through the dike to the channelized stream so his lower land can be farmed! The ditch also is fed by field tile from his farm ground, and he has a stream that ends up being stopped by the dike and a wetland that also is stopped by the dike. Water in the bottom ground is flowing from his land onto ours, not vice versa as he claims.

This guy just can't admit he was wrong, but says he doesn't want problems. He trespassed, destroyed private property, has some of his corn planted over the line, has his tree stand over the line, has his own stream flooding his lower ground but thinks we should dredge a ditch that is doing nothing for us at all. And now the kicker - this guy is an educated, trained professional. He is a wildlife biologist employed by the DNR working in our local inland marsh. He is not stupid, is generally nice, but just seems to think our land is his land and feels offended that we want him to stop treating it as such.

So, thanks for listening, and lets hear about your idiot neighbors.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  2. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

Seems he has a sense of entitlement.Keep making visits and I bet he behaves.
  3. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

people get that attitude about other peoples land.

They wouldnt borrow your car without permission, but they think they can just stroll onto your land and cut firewood or hunt all they want.

We had a 2 acre field by the house that I fenced off in high school to use for bottle-calves. We had horses in there awhile too. It wasnt being used the last few years so Dad let a neighbor up the road use it to pasture his stallion.

He has used it for 3 years off and on, he never offered pay and was never charged.....just being neighborly since Dad wasnt using it anyways.

He took the horse out early this spring, and Dad and my cousin disked it up and seeded it with grass. Dad decided he wanted a little more yard, so he had me take the fence all the way out to basically eliminate the small field.

The neighbor came by when I was finishing up, and threw a holy terror fit because we ''took out HIS horse pen''!

Dad tossed him off the property. But just goes to show, people are A-holes.

If that tree is on YOUR land.....I would take a chainsaw and drop it right now...with or without his stand in it.
  4. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Put a purple dot on all your trees along the property line. If any thing happens and you all go to court over, purple dot on trees will work in your favor. Means no trespassing. Worked for an Uncle of in up in Michigan over someone logging his trees.
  5. JetGirl

JetGirl G&G Enthusiast

I think I wouldn't remember exactly just what happened to the tree stand I never saw on my property.
  6. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Around my old place if your land was 10 acres or more and under "The Clean and Green Act" anyone could hunt there or for that fact have a picnic or campsite...
    Now I don't believe in not asking permission but as our law states in Pennsylvania some one doesn't even need to ask and can be legally protected because of the tax break the owners have...

If no one believes me it is under the Clean and Green Act 319 section under
    the Agricultural Reserve statement...
  7. Sandy Pockets

Sandy Pockets G&G Newbie

Same thing happens when you let someone live in your house. My Mom purchased a house back in 1976. A couple of different brothers lived there and then another brother with his wife. They live there for 5 or 6 years rent free. My (now ex sister-in-law) got all upity when my Mom suggested they take care of the yard a little better. Another brother lived in the condo by the beach for a few months. It was supposed to be only one weekend. His now ex wife was a pig and did not clean up. She got all POed when my Mon went down to the condo and wanted to spend some time there. It was my Moms condo and they were not supposed to be living there. My brothere sure picked some winners. But then again my brothers should have shown more respect for my Mom and taken care of what they had.
  8. thrillbilly

I would move. Just reading that pisses me off.

YOUR land is YOUR land. You mean the bastidges ALLOW anyone to walk on YOUR place and hunt/camp!?

I kinda feel it should still be legal to shoot tresspassers......much less that crap you posted!

Aint NO FREAKING way I would stay there. And if I did I would put 9 acres in every family member I hads name...so legally there wouldnt be any parcels over 10 acres. Thats unadulterated bovine feces.
  9. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Enthusiast

Whatever happened to the days you respected someone else's property so much, you could FEEL when you crossed the property line?
  10. Sandy Pockets

Sandy Pockets G&G Newbie

I just remembered this. My Mom remolded the house she purchased in 1976 and moved into it in 1991. The neighbor next door was using his property to run a business out of. There was piles of pipe and other junk lying around and the yard looked like a junk yard. It is illegal to do that and my Mom went to the county to let them know what was going on. The guy is a total jerk. He spray painted his house and the over spray got all over my Mom's Mercedes 380SL and the windows of the house. The idiot he sent over to "clean" the paint off the car used an abrasive pad and scratched the hell out of the windows of the car. There are other things this moron continues to do over the years. There is supposed to be a variance between the two properties in order horses to be able to walk there. Way back in the day people rode their horses around there. Anyway, this moron tore down his fence and closed up that 3 or 4 foot gap between the properties. I'm sure half of that gap was supposed to be my Mom's property.

Living in an apartment you come across some real winners there too. A young Navy puke moved across the hall from me and for no reason caused problems with me. He threatened to poison my cats and was a complete a-hole. I got back at hime though. I poured break fluid on his car. Don't get on my bad side.
  11. anykey

anykey Suspended

In the northwest- I heard of some spiking the trees- that way if a chain saw hits it- it ruins the blade.

I deplore fights with the neighbors. Luckily all of mine are decent for now.
  12. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Enthusiast

May be a follow up certified letter ref your conversation and his "corrective" action to be taken would be a good idea. Give you a record of sorts in case he keeps being a jerk.
  13. thrillbilly

I would horsewhip anyone I caught spiking a tree on my property.

It dont just ''ruin the blade'' it could easily maim or cripple the MAN running the saw.

Thats a dirty trick the freakin greenpeace treehugger peta types use.

sandal wearing hippy freaks.
  14. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

In most states where logging is serious business, spiking trees is a felony. More than one logger has lost a limb to spiking trees. Have a close cousin in Michigan that almost lost his arm. Back in 1960 something he hit a spike, chain broke and wrapped around his arm. Now this was back when the success rate wasn't very good. He lucked out, they saved it. Still doesn't have complete feeling back but still can use his 30.30 to put meat on the table.
  15. anykey

anykey Suspended

Did I miss something? Trees were cut down from his land by someone else. I thought they were his trees.
  16. Earl Easter

Earl Easter G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

thrillbilly
    It never made sense to me ether but the law is the law and not many know it.
    The tax break on the original land owner changing over to Clean and Green is quite a difference in money in my state.... a huge difference..

"If They Choose to switch it over to save money, it is not mandatory..."

"Ya get what I am saying"

And by the way FELLA it isnt the crap that I posted.... it is the law..

That is what one accepts if they choose to save some money....Other wise
    no one would be allowed to trespass or what ever provided your land was properly posted and those regulations followed.......
  17. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

It seems the neighbor could trim the trees to the property line with no issue. Maybe consider trimming the stand to the property line?
  18. thrillbilly

Ah...so its voluntary then.

I wouldnt take money to basically turn my property into a public area. Thats why people buy land, to seperate from others and have a PRIVATE place to hunt/enjoy nature.

If they want the tax-break that badly, then they get what they're payed for lol
  19. Nerd

Nerd G&G Newbie

You're getting lots of pictures and taking copious notes on all of this, right? RIGHT?? :) Photographic evidence of the encroachment might come in handy somewhere down the road.

If nothing else you might be able to get a county surveyor out there or something. I know you said the line is clearly marked, but if the surveyor (i.e. a neutral third party) makes a judgment the neighbor won't be able to argue as much.
  20. thrillbilly

dont matter. you still dont spike trees.

who knows who will be cutting in there 20 years later? Or even 5 years. Its easy to forget.....and it could be you, or your child/grandchild who hits that ''old forgotten'' tree-trap.

My view on that isnt friendly enough to be stated on G&G

I have worked logging, and cut a lot of trees even nowdays. And I have family/friends who run 'saws for a living.