Any Experts on AK Barrels?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 147 Inches, Jan 9, 2009.

1. 147 Inches

147 Inches G&G Newbie

Hi,
    I found a Bulg. SSR85C2 today that I like very much. Best AK I have ever put to my shoulder.
    I live in New Hampshire.
    The SSR85 is Mass. Compliant, meaning the gun does no have a bayonet lug or threads for a flash hider.
    I left the gun behind me and I was pissed that a NH store would stock something so foolish, just so he can sell it to customers from Mass..

I was first afraid that the distributor swaped the Org. Bulg. Chrome lined Barrel out for a barrel that can sell in the States with the foolish laws.
    I can't prove this. Can you?

I was told today from a gun store owner that his gunsmith could put threads on the compliant barrel, then I could put whatever flash hider I wish. Is this true?

Another gun store said they could weld one on? Weld? Is that good for the barrel? I have heard horror stories about welded flashes falling off.
    The barrel looks like it has threads, but they are just lines.
    The gun is $750.00 and if I am spending that much I want the gun to look right and with no flash hider it just looks well, Foolish.
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

You said the barrel has "lines" on it? As in it had threads but they were ground down? In theory you could have a gun smith thread the barrel but if the diameter is now too small and they just thread it you wont be able to use standard ak adaptors. They could however collar it to use 22mm threads. As far as welding it can be OK for the barrel as long as the person welding knows what they are doing and doesn't burn through the barrel, they are pretty thick and usually arc welding stays to the surface. Another options is silver solder which supposedly is OK but I wouldn't trust with my life. Also if you are going for a 74 style brake the forward preasure may eventually put too much forward stress and eventually break the weld (especially given the fact that the welds are going to have to be somewhat weak as not to damage the barrel). For the cost I would say hold out for something that you want rather than getting something just to have it. If your not going to be satisfied, what's the sense?
  3. 147 Inches

147 Inches G&G Newbie

For the cost I would say hold out for something that you want rather than getting something just to have it. If your not going to be satisfied, what's the sense?

Sprout,
    Well said and I agree.
    No since and going further with this thread.