Anybody load .35 Remington?

Discussion in 'Remington' started by Pumpkinheaver, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

Bought a Marlin in .35 remmy and was just curious if any of you have ever loaded this cartridge and what is a good powder to start with.
  2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I don't load for it but according to a buudy that does, H4895 and Accurate 2520 work really well in it. I use H4895 to load for almost every rifle l own, it's a great all-around powder for mid-caliber loads.
  3. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Pumpkinhead you lucky rascal I love 35 caliber rifles. Did you buy it new or find a use one.... A used one is nearly impossible to find. Atleast once every 2 weeks I search the net for Marlin 35 rem. leverguns and have found very very few.
    My favorite 35 is the 358 winchester cartridge.

I don't know anything about reloading but I'm sure you know Hornady now has rubber pointed bullet/ cartridges for tube fed Marlin leveraction in 35 Rem. now that should be Dynomite on Deer and Elk.
    Wish you had a picture to show of your new rifle...A.H
  4. KODIAK BEAR

KODIAK BEAR G&G Newbie

35 Remington

Pumpkinhead, don't know if you read it but there is a pretty good article on the 35 Rem in the June edition of Guns & Ammo.
  5. Pumpkinheaver

Hell there where three used ones on the rack when I picked mine out. The stock on the one I bought is in kind of rough shape but I wanted it that way. I bought it as a project gun. When I'm done I'll post before and after pics.
  6. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

I have been reloading .35 Rem for a Marlin since I bought the rifle new in 1970. Just about any medium fast powder will give good results. Bullet choices are limited. I use Hornady 200 grain round nose bullets.

The cartridge has a very small shoulder. I started full-length resizing the brass, with the result that I was getting case head separations after three or so loadings. This was very annoying until I adopted the sizing technique used by those who reload the cartridge for the TC Contender.

Get a .375 expander die. Expand the case neck all the way down with it. Then just neck size a bit at a time until the case will chamber with very light resistance. This forms a false shoulder that will prevent the case from stretching when it is fired. Then prime, charge, seat the bullet, and crimp as usual.

This is kind of a pain in the neck (no pun intended), but it produces very accurate ammunition and the cases last a while.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  7. KODIAK BEAR

KODIAK BEAR G&G Newbie

35 Rem

Just checked and it was the July edition of Guns & Ammo that featured the article, NOT June.
  8. Pumpkinheaver

Thanks for the input guys.

How do they shoot with cast bullets?
  9. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Pumkinheaver what condition are the other 35 remingtons in , and I would like to contact the place that has the 2 left.
    I would like to have one as much as anyone who would like to win a lottery.
    Please let me know...Mike aka A.H
  10. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

The Marlins with micro-groove rifling don't give great accuracy with cast bullets. Try some and see. You may do all right. My (1970-vintage) 336 in .35 Rem throws cast bullets all over the map. Jacketed bullets do fine.
  11. bobd

bobd G&G Newbie

Friends. I load for the 35 rem also. I have eliminated the case head separation issue by adjusting my resizing die to NOT touch the shoulder. I did an experiment once where I took one 35 rem case and reloaded it with a full power load and shot it. Took the same case back to the reloading shop and loaded her up again full power and shot it (I shoot just behind my shop). I did that 15 times and gave up. No signs of case head separation what so ever. I do check the inside of my cases with a #9 crochet needed I stole from the wife. Just run the pointy side along the inside of your case and you can feel the annular ring if it is starting to separate above the web. I do this for every case before loading it no matter what the caliber. I had one case on a 308 separate upon firing and its something I never want to experience again. I have been loading 41 years and that separation occurred my first year of enjoying to reload. Sorry I rambled on.
  12. 454PB

454PB G&G Newbie

I have a 336 in .35 Remington, and it shoots cast boolits just fine in the microgroove barrel. The trick is to size the boolits .359", and if you want full power, use a gas checked design. My favorite is the RCBS 200 gr. RF.
  13. jpkingp1

jpkingp1 G&G Newbie

Oh Yeah, I reload for the old .35 Rem

I've been out of the reloading business since I moved about 8 years ago, but due to political changes, am definitely back into it for the duration of the next peoples republic adminstration.

I have both a Marlin 336 CS in .35 Rem and a Contender Hunter in the same caliber. Factory 200 grain rifle loads out of the Contender muzzel brake lit a few things on fire out at the range that I wasn't too prowd of. Have settled on a super compromise load. That would be 38 grains of Accurate 2230 under a Speer 180 gr fp. The AC 2230 is a quicker burning powder than in the factory WW Super X 200 gr load, which I suspect is burning closer to IMR 3031, and doesn't work the Contender muzzle break nearly as much or spew as much unburned powder. Alternatively, my reloading manual for the TC shows that about 40 grains of 2520 (burning rate similar to IMR 4064) should accomplish the same in a a longer barrel. The AC 2230 Speer 180 load both were super accurate in both guns.

"biker" jeff
  14. 41Plymouth

41Plymouth G&G Newbie

35 remington handloads

Does anyone know if Hornady is selling the leverevolution bullest yet for the 30-30 or the 35? Also, the powder they use is supposed to be something new. Any idea what it is? Has anyone chronographed the leverevolution ammo from a 20 inch barrel to get a good comparison with their handloads?

Thanks
  15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The best powder I have found for the older cartridges like .30-30 and .35rem. is IMR 3031. sam.
  16. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

I like the 35 remington which is why I have 2 of them one is a 760 pump and the other is an old 141 that my grandfathers grandfather bought new A.H. it isn't that there aren't used 35 rem rifles out there people like me just don't want to give them up!!!!
  17. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

That's my favorite too. I am almost out of my last 8 pound jug, though. Need to get some more.
  18. Rangersniper175

Rangersniper175 G&G Newbie

I got a 1970 model 336 with gold trigger the 100th anniv. model. It has the medallion embedded in the stock. It has been on of the best lever guns I have owned. That old gun has downed a lot of deer, Shoots hornady leverevolution better than anything I have ever pumped into it. Was told it is very hard to reload there round due to the length of that slug which changes the neck length and the powder that they use is different. So I was told hornady won't release the specs or the slugs for all there leverevolution rounds. Not a hundred percent sure but this is what I have been told. And it would really take some smooth talk to get me to let my 35 Rem go.
  19. Dollface

Dollface G&G Newbie

.35 Rem loads

Punkin' -

With 200gr bullets, Lyman's load data is pretty good.

They show best load wil be some 35.5 - 36.5gr of IMR3031.
    The low end of this charge range, also works / lead 200gr RNs.

Regards,
    .357Mag
  20. Slow Go

Slow Go G&G Newbie

My old 336/.35 loves 39.5/IMR 4064 under Rem. 200 RNCL bullets at some 2075 fps.

I rarely FL size, just use a Lee Collet Neck die and a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Ammo works fine, feeds and chambers well, groups average just a tad over MOA. Cases last a looong time!

Deer hate it tho! :slomo:
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2009