Anyone Else Shoot Skunks?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by tigman, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tigman

tigman G&G Newbie

This year we have been over run with skunks. I have found the best thing is to shoot them with a .22 in the head. The best results come from shots placed just below the ear. If you use this method, then they don't spray. It makes you a better marksman because off shots are a disaster. Skunks can spray 15' and some will charge you when spotlighted.
  2. cabinnut

cabinnut G&G Enthusiast

Years ago I came home one evening to see my wife frantically waving me down from the front porch. We always used the garage to come in the back door. She stops me and says there's a skunk in the open garbage can in the garage (anyone think about replacing the lid??) and what am I going to do about it? Got dad's old 12 gauge Ansley H. Fox double, snuck around to the back door of the garage and waited. When he came up for a look see I gave him both barrels of #4 's in the head at 12 feet...and ducked. No worry - his head was instantly vaporized - no muss, no fuss. Did ruin a good garbage can though. The new bride was impressed...shucks, it wasn't nothin'!
  3. frank m

frank m G&G Newbie

This year we have had an unreal amount of fluid drive pussycats. It became almost a nightly addiction. I shoot them about a half-inch back of the ear and about 1 inch below of the ear. They drop like a rock. If you don't hit them just right they diddle fiddle all over and I am telling you it will stink for weeks. A friend of mine down the street shot one right in the ass that thing run around for the better part of a half-hour and sprayed the whole damn neighborhood. He finally had to drag out this 223 Remington and do a long-range headshot. I was pretty damn impressed giving the fact it was almost 130 yards and it was almost dark. It was still at dusk but it was dark. This year has been the worst I have ever seen. That and the old bitty down the street keeps feeding all the Wildcats and skunks and that don't help.:wave:There is about six of us that got together in July we realized we were being overrun with skunks. At first a few people call the wildlife and didn't get any thing but a runaround and you can trap them and let them lose in the wilderness. Who in their right mind is going to trap a skunk in a live trap put it in your vehicle and drive it out to the wilderness. I say 40 grains at 1250 ft./s works really good.:)And it also permanently takes care of that skunk. They're like cats they breed fast:angryfire:
  4. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

When I was younger I shot them with my Marlin Model 60 and my 10/22 when I saw them. Now when I see them I usually give them a pass unless they are threatening me. I did however shoot a couple with some 55gr Vmax out of my .223 and pretty much turned them inside out.
  5. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Only from a distance, never close up
  6. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

I recently shot one skunk that turned out to be "probable rabid" (it wasn't tested but displayed all the symptoms).

A little later there were 2 more in my yard fighting like tomcats at 3 in the afternoon (bright daylight - not normal at all). I couldn't shoot either one because they were under and around the cars; then they ran off into the brush. Didn't shoot because 1) I hoped they wouldn't spray (did anyway) and 2) I had not yet learned how serious a problem the first one was, and 3) I didn't get a good shot with my 9mm.

In my youth, I used to work in the local chicken barns and we had lots of skunks around. They are actually very docile - like cats- unless there's something wrong with them or they are startled. They are better mousers than cats are. But some would get lazy and injure the chickens at night so we would have thin them out.
    22 shorts at the base of the skull and they wouldn't even twitch. BUT! You still had to get them into a grain bag quickly because as the body relaxes the scent glands leak and you still get the smell.

So...not all skunks are bad. If you have a lot of field mice or moles in your yard, or have garbage they can get into, expect skunks to be there (meat scraps and bones make excellent skunk bait for live trapping) If you corner one, it will "warn" you so pay attention, talk soothingly, and back away.

One last thing - read up on rabies. Until I had the incidents I described at the beginning, I never gave it much thought. Have your pets vaccinated for rabies and remember that there is no cure for rabies. Again - there is no cure. There are treatments to prevent it if you are exposed but if you start too late, it's all over.
    Here in Maine the 5 animals most likely to contract the disease are bats, coyotes, raccoons, skunks, and foxes - but any mammal can get it.
  7. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

If skunks are in populated areas they can pose a health risk because they can be carriers of Rabies. I shoot most everyone I see thats close to the house. Sometimes the dogs gett'em first (Shoeeeee) and the dogs stink for a while. We try and keep the dogs rabies shots up to date. I've killed several with a .22 and killed one a few years ago at 200 yards with my .223. Sierra 55 gr. Spitzer worked good.
  8. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

Skunks, like raccoons are nocturnal. If we see one during daylight hours we shoot them on sight.
  9. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Killed on many years ago Rambo with my Sheridan pellet gun. 20 Cal. pellets back then. Man does that bring back memories.
  10. Rambo

Hunting in South Dakota some years back, I was sprayed in the face by one as I was climing out of a coulee. The last thing going through that skunks mind was a .30 cal,165gr JSP traveling about 3,000fps.
  11. Junction15

Junction15 G&G Enthusiast

Wow! That really stinks getting sprayed by a skunk. (pun was intended - sorry, couldn't resist)

You did well in being able to retaliate because, supposedly, skunk spray can choke you enough to lose consciousness.
  12. Rambo

When you are the one being sprayed, you don't notice it as much as the guy sitting next to you on the way back to the motel. I can also tell you it tastes like diesel fuel.
  13. langenc

langenc G&G Newbie

Trapping something and hauling it 'to the wilderness' is illegal in most states. The guy that lives near 'the wilderness' dont want them anymore than you do.

Get a couple of Duke #155 bodygrip traps and build a cubbie for them. Cats and skunks like to go for the bait in em. The 'old bitty' down the street will never know.

Question for Rambo--why would you drink diesel fuel??
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  14. Rambo

As a kid, I was supposed to siphon some gas. I siphoned the wrong tank and was sprayed by diesel fuel. Never forgot the taste. Like when a radiator cap blew off, anti-freeze has a sweet taste.
  15. RoySmithson

RoySmithson G&G Newbie

I don't shoot skunks. They smell a lot better than the stinkin chicken barns around here.
  16. Bish.41MAG

Bish.41MAG G&G Regular

I know an old guy that used to trap them and then in the mornings he would wake up ride down to the trap with his lawn mower and a tarp. Tarp the cage and put the exhaust side of the lawn mower under the tarp.

night night
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  17. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I haven't shot any yet... but there is a story that lingers from my childhood...

My uncle had a friend (crazy Eddy). Crazy Eddy made him some 12ga shot shells with a red X on the bottom. My uncle, also crazy but not stupid, put the shells aside and left them there.

My uncle was at work one day and his wife saw a skunk in front of the house... She grabbed the 12ga SxS... (See where this is going?) And all she could find were the X marked shells... so she loaded them up and shot at the skunk.... well... both barrels went off, she ended up in a semi-sitting/reclining position and the skunk had vaporized...

I was not told of any curious odor... but I was told that anything that Crazy Eddy ever brought over was disposed of soon after he left.
  18. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Them being nocturnal I never see any while hunting. I do see them driving in the early morning. I hit one yesterday morning about 150 miles from home. I smelled him for miles.
  19. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

I use number 4 birdshot mostly to dispatch problem skunks. I've been known to bust them with my AR as well.
  20. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

When I was a kid I we used to shoot skunks around my Uncle's farm. We used a single shot 410 and #6 birdshot to the head.