Anyone using a PE Accumount with a MODERN scope?

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by MrCatch22, Jun 4, 2013.

1. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Greetings to all! So, I've found myself at an impasse. Here's the background information: I've got a Mosin-Nagant 91/30 that I love too much to permanently modify, but I've spent some time planning out a Mosin project based on an already-chopped up rifle.
    What I'm looking at is a 19" barrel with a re-mounted front sight (most likely the new night sight that smith-sights has), an ATI stock that's bedded, pillared, and finished Multicam (should mention that this is my "deployment gun," as I recently got back from overseas), a trigger job (couple options in mind), a bipod set-up, a clamp-on brake from Witt Machine, a bent bolt, and a PE Accumount with a decent-powered scope. I'm thinking either a 10x, 2-7x, or 3-9x.
    Now here's the issue: I want to be able to shoot out to 500 yards, but immediately switch to my irons for close targets, without removing my scope. I'm sold entirely on the Accumount, but I cannot or the life of me find a scope that I'm sure will work. Problems I'm facing: Will the Objective Bell cut into the line of sight for the irons? What kind of eye relief will I need to be looking for? Basically...what scope should I plan on getting?
    I've done a lot of searches, but I can't find a single one that mentions a modern scope being used with the PE Accumount. Can anyone let me know what they have seen or experienced that's worked? The three scopes I've got on my list right now are a Burris 10x40, a Nikon ProStaff 2-7 x 32 with Nikoplex reticle, or a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm w/ Accu-Range reticle. The Burris scares me because I'm not sure if a 40mm will drop too low up front, and the other two worry me because I'm not sure how far back I can mount them in the rings, and they need 3"-4" eye relief.
    Thanks in advance, folks!
  2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Welcome to the Forum, MrCatch22.

I solved the problem by putting a jmeck scope mount with an extender rail on Natasha with a long eye relief scope, and open base scope rings. You can look through the base at the front sight and make a snap shot at close range if you need to.

With this setup, you don't have to remove the issue rear sight. You can work up a rear notch out of paper or stiff tape, fiddle with it until you get the setup just right for, say, 100 meters, then make it out of sheet metal and superglue it to the rear ring's open base.

jmeck is a member here. You can PM him for details about the jmeck scope mount. No one makes a better scope mount for the Mosin Nagant. Nobody.
  3. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Cyrano,
    An excellent idea, and I was strongly considering the Jmeck before I settled on the Accumount. I've read far more good reviews on the Jmeck than I have bad, leading me to think that most of the bad reviews (screws coming loose during rapid(ish) fire, band heating and causing POI to shift, etc) are a result of half-hearted installations.
    The big reasons I decided on the Accumount came down to (1) the fact that I can pull the scope and leave the base installed (for deep-cleans, using stripper clips if I want to shoot just irons, etc), (2) I'm more comfortable with a bolted-right-to-the-receiver mount, and (3) I like the "cleanness" of not having a rail.
    Even so, I do like the Jmeck, and the rail could do a number on protecting the scope from errant brass. I'm just hoping that when I get around to pulling the trigger on this project, I'll be able to resist buying a scope until I can find some good starting points.
  4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Nope, all I've ever used was scout scope mounts so I can restore them all back to original. One has a red dot, the other a 2X7 pistol scope.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

You can also look at shotgun scopes, that have little or no front bell. These may work well in such a mount. I have an Accumount for my Swiss K31, and love it. It is rock solid and works very well, though is a totally different design than the Mosin type.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I don't remember ANYBODY ever complaining about a Jmeck mount. Did I miss some? (Sorry Jmeck, I have no wood skills and dreaded the inletting needed for your mounts, which is why I bought a Darrell's, and a see through Brass Stacker, instead.)
  7. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

I've seen some complaints online (two come to mind), but I chose to disregard them, because with so many really awesome reviews, I'm pretty sure that the issues encountered had a lot more to do with people botching the installation (you can mess up anything, including "tying" velcro shoes, right?). Reason I'm leaning towards the Accumount is because I'm trying to stay away from an actual rail. The JMecks was what I was leaning towards initially, until I found the Accumount. I've wanted a PE for a while now.
    It may sound bizarre to have such an odd requirement, but for my purposes the rail would take away some of the functionality I'm going for.
  8. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

I'd looked at a few shotgun scopes, but the ones I've seen all have rifle equivalents. It was interesting to note, for instance, that Nikon has a few scopes that seem to only differ but the word "shotgun" or "Rifle" being in the title, though I guess maybe the reticle may be different.
  9. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Spamming my own thread with posts, but I did some extremely specific searches, and found 3 scopes that people have successfully used with this mount. They are:
    Nikon ProStaff 2-7 x 32 Black Matte Riflescope
    Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm w/ Accu-Range reticle
    Burris Fullfield II: 2-7x
    Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Only issue is that none of the OPs said whether the 40mm scopes dip down into the iron sight FOV. I emailed Accumount, and got a very quick response (2 hours or thereabouts). They said that a 40mm would be fine, but did not specify the iron FOV issue.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Redfield, because it's got some very forgiving eye relief (3.7-4.9). My wife and I are moving to North-Central GA in a matter of weeks, so what I may do is find a store that stocks the Redfield or the Burris (measurement specs are almost identical), and try it on the gun. Then, I could try a 40mm. Looks like I'll have to buy everything BUT the scope first (which I wanted to avoid), but I think the setup will work.
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

All of those sound like long eye relief pistol scopes. IsI'm assuming a S&K is a scout scope mount? Like I said, only have two Mosins scoped, and none of them an S&K mount. I much prefer the Brass Stacker because it is a see through design. If the scope gets messed up somehow, I still have the option of just using the iron sights. I put the red dot on my Darrell's mount, just switch it on the see the dot is there before I go, so the range trip would not be wasted.
  11. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Nope, they're all rifle scopes :) I posted the models based on how they're listed in Amazon, so anyone can see them there. I was looking for 2-7 range, with the plan on zeroing it at 2x, figuring out if there is a shift to the POI at 7x, and then being able to switch between the two freely. I never use any mid-range power...just min and max. I'm comfortable shooting at 500 yards with a 4x, so I don't really need to go bigger. Even so, I *might* change my mind, as I've got a little while before I start this bad boy.

Funny you should mention the Brass Stacker; in my starter post on this thread, I mentioned that I have my stock Mosin, which I won't permanently alter. That's why I'm gonna pick up a 'rescue Mosin' for this project. Well, the stock Mosin is going to be getting a replacement stock (so I can keep the original untouched), which will get bedded, pillared, and floated. I'm going to put on a Brass Stacker with a BSA 2-7X28 Edge Series Pistol Scope. I already have a Smith-Sights Classic Target Sight for the front sight post, so that guy's gonna be nice! All my tweaks will be entirely reversible, so I'm happy with that.

My current Mosin is shooting AMAZING groups...I'm attaching a picture of my best 50-yard group. 5-rounds of Czechs Silver-tip, four touching, and one was a flier. This is with irons, and I have to say that 91/30s definately have "battle sights;" I'd like to see a replacement rear sight with a narrow notch, and some high-viz markings.

Anyway, regarding the rifle I'm planning out; I'm doing the PE, normal eye relief scope-over-irons set-up to have a 500-yard shooter that can also be used for close-in hunting. That's why I'm opting away from the scout-scope on this one.

Someone please let me know if the image doesn't post right...I'm new to posting stuff on forums, and the account that it's coming from is friends-only.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Ahem, not to be bragging (of course I really am..wink wink).......but here is my best 50 yard group using my 91/59, which is my most accurate of my Mosin carbines. And I was using green lacquered Czech silvertip light ball ammo! That was some GOOD milsurp ammo, let me tell you! As a matter of fact, it was the very first 5 rounds I ever shot in that rifle. Not even any warmup shots!

[​IMG]
  13. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Haha! That's a great group! The Czechs ammo really is better than I thought it would be. It's really the reason that I'm excited to accurize my current Mosin, and to build up a target gun. Seems like I'm getting about 1.5"-2" MOA, and the stock irons are pretty much an educated guess every time I shoot (might need to pick up some white targets, come to think of it), so I think I can get some really nice groups.

For the build mentioned above, I'm pretty excited to cut down the barrel to 18"-19," because I'm thinking that as long as I pick a gun with a good bore, a shortened, free-floated barrel will help out quite a bit.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

What?????? I always thought longer was better! Only my 91/59 is even CLOSE to, say my M39.
  15. MrCatch22

MrCatch22 G&G Newbie

Depends on a lot of factors. A longer barrel that lacks the heft of a nice, thick target barrel will oftentimes be less accurate than a shorter barrel, due to barrel whip, flex, etc...but this is just talking the barrel; not other contributing factors. Granted, I've seen a lot of chopped Mosins that did not gain or lose accuracy, but every one I've seen has been tested with Milsurp ammo (or not tested before being cut), so I don't really think you can gauge it off that.

There's a Sniper Instructor that posted a much more presentable description of the above a while back. I tried to find a link, but it looks like the article has been taken down. He had a Remington 700 chambered in .308 cut down 8" (to 18"), and the accuracy increased significantly, presumably due to barrel stiffness.

I'm not familiar with M39s, but didn't the Finns accurize 91/30s to come up with the M39? If I'm remembering that right, maybe the reason your M39 is much more accurate than you other Mosins is because it's pretty much a "match-grade" 91/30, thanks to the Finn's improvements.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I don't know about "Improving" them, they made their own barrels and put them on the Russian receivers. Had to pass a rigid QA if it was a captured Russian rifle, but those are not M39's.