Armalite or Rock River LAR-8?

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Doc Jones, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Doc Jones

Doc Jones G&G Newbie

I am, no thanks to Ten Man's persistent insistence that he really digs his AR-10, about to make my first foray into the world of the AR.

I've never had an AR before. I shoot AKs and Mini-14s for carbines and all my .308 semi-autos are other platforms. Early on, I was much influenced by Boston's Gun Bible. Boston has no love for the AR-10 so I've avoided them.

In the intervening years I have learned that Boston's info is quite dated.

So anyway, I'm looking at AR-10s. I know a guy that has an Armalite and a Rock River LAR-8 for sale. The Rock River uses FAL mags (which I have in abundance).

Anyone have any concerns or praise for the Rock River or the Armalite? Is there something better than either without going "high end" like an LMT or POF?

Doc
  2. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I've had the Armalites (4 or 5 including the Sudan AR 10B) and they were completely satisfying. I can't say concerning Rock River.

I ended up selling all of them and ending up with a SOCOM 16....(a note left for you on just ending up with a .30-30 instead of a pistol cartridge lever!)
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

If you want to venture to the land of the Jam-A-Matic, I can't stop you. But I suspect you will soon return to the faith of the True Rifle, and we will be happy to see you.

My antipathy to the whole AR system is such that I regularly mail my Representative and Senators asking them to force the Army to conduct a new battle rifle test specifically excluding the Stoner action from consideration. I have heard too many stories from combat veterans from Vietnam on, about their #>~*%^\! M-16s jamming on them in action, to swallow the official line that this or that modification to the thing has fixed the jamming problem. No. Honest. Really.
  4. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    I have a LAR-8 Predator on order and my Brother has a LAR-8 in 243win on order. From what I've read and seen the LAR-8 is just about fool proof. We also have alot of FAL mags on hand so that factored into our decision to buy the RRA. At 8.6 pounds and with a Wilson air Gauged, hand lapped barrel as standard equipment, they will serve for hunting and killing rocks and zombies.

The August isse of Shooting Times had a large article on the LAR-8 with all 3 uppers. The author goes into alot of the history and details of the LAR-8 and he was quite impressed. The 308 will shoot well under 1" and all configurations feed and fired the cartridges like "a fat kid eating skittles".
  5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

I would recommend the ArmaLite, although you have a supply of FAL mags so the RRA may be a good choice. I would make sure the your FAL mags well function in the RRA first.

This is a NoveskaLite, Noveske upper on a ArmaLite lower. 21" barrel is a tack driver, the NM two stage trigger is adjustable with a simple disco spring position change. I'm approaching 1k rounds and not a single malfunction of any kind. Mags are both GenI and GenII. ArmaLite recently lower the price on the GenII mags to $35 as singles.

[​IMG]
  6. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    The LAR-8 wae designed around the FAL mag, and they also make new mags in 5 round, 10 round, and 20 round configurations.

While your gun looks very nice and shoots well, it isn't an Armalite. It's a pieced together gun. The LAR-8 gives you custom features without having to piece together a gun from different mfg.

May I ask the weight without the scope?
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

You sound like a broken record.

Have you EVER shot an AR10?

Branding ALL ARs as "Jam-A-Matic" because of your assessment of M16 behavior 40 years ago, is not rational.

Doc posted a new thread asking folks for advice and reviews on the two specific brands of AR10s on the market, and you have to jump in and pee in his Cheerios.
  8. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Hey, Doc.

You are a fellow man of Science. Why not do an experiment?

If the guy has both for sale, offer to buy the ammo, clean the guns, and in exchange get the opportunity to shoot them both, side by side to compare.

It's a win-win deal for both of you, because any time at the range, shooting AR10s, is a GOOD day!
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  9. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

Indeed, I can't remember how many times I've heard Cyrano take a swipe at an AR. Why would someone even feel compelled to bash an AR in a thread like this? :dunno: I've heard about AR/M16 jamming problems ad naseum for years, so I guess I should be used to it, but I'm amazed how much it persists. The fact is, it's an exceptionally reliable platform, and available in tons of different calibers, and can serve nearly any purpose you can think of, it's simply more versitile than any other rifle in the world, and there's a reason why nearly everyone who owns a gun owns one.

To answer the OP, I don't think you can wrong with either, my RRA in 223 has been great for me, I'm planning on buying another RRA next week in fact. I've read enough about Armalite to know they put out a great product as well, I'd have no second thought about buying either.