Barrel exploded off 4" Taurus 627 Tracker in .357 mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Noboundaries, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Noboundaries

Noboundaries G&G Newbie

Well, I had an interesting day at the range last week where I shoot quite often, using 3" and 6" Big Burst targets pasted on the back of a B-27 target. I was shooting my .22 Buck Mark Camper for warmup at 7-10 yards and having an accurate day (many several sub 1" to 1.5" groups with just less than 1 second interval).

Once warmed up I shifted to shooting DA with the Taurus loaded with factory Blazer Brass .38 Specials. Fired a total of 30 rounds. Once again, nice accuracy (about 2"x2") at 10 yards. Loaded factory Blazer Brass .357 mags, checked that the bullets seated fully and naturally (no burn ring hangups), and started DA shooting again. I was amazed that I was spraying bullets 3-4" left and 3-4" above and below center. I concentrated on my grip and recoil anticipation (I'm a southpaw), reloaded and the groupings got a little better, but not much. Then the cylinder completely hung up with one unfired round remaining. It would not turn it, it would not open. I notified the RO of the situation, told him I was going to continue firing the .22 until the Taurus cooled and then try to open it. He agreed.

I fired the .22 for about another 30-45 minutes (100 rounds). The Taurus opened then with a little difficulty. I closed it and opened it several times trying to see what the problem was, but it opened and closed easily after getting it open. I emptied the cylinder, DA dry fired several times, loaded empty .38 and .357 casings and DA dry fired again. Absolutely no problems.

I loaded 7 .38s and fired them DA, no problem except they were impacting about 2" to the left and low when previously they had been center grouped. I loaded 7 .357s. The first round impacted in the previous grouping, then the next three impacts started walking further down to the 7:30 position, reaching 6" off center. The last cartridge fired wouldn't advance DA, but did SA. When I pulled the trigger, the barrel went flying downrange and the bullet impact was 20" down at the 7:30 position.

I counted my fingers, looked at the shortest snub-nosed pistol ever held, then started laughing. I unloaded the remaining rounds and notified the RO. He called a cease fire, retrieved the barrel, said he'd never seen anything like that, then told me he was selling his Taurus the next day. I had fired a total of 32 .357s. at the point of failure.

The gun was purchased in 2003 and has been impeccably maintained. I'll ship it back to Taurus for the second time on their lifetime warranty. The first time I shipped it to them was due to timing issues (it was shaving bullets). Lets see what happens this time.
  2. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

I'm glad to hear you're ok and no one else was injured. This post does not make me want a Taurus at all. Years ago I shot a friend's Raging bull with factory ammo and I thought it was pretty cool but I couldn't understand why there were two cylinder latches when Ruger only used one in their pistol in the same caliber.
  3. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

While you didn't go into full detail about what actually failed , I can only guess that it was caused By metal Failure...This is what I have been warning people about for years concerning Taurus and Why I won't own one...South American steel and Metallurgical Practices SUCK...Period
    I'm Glad you were not injured.

Rich
  4. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

A very interesting story, and its a good thing that you came out unscathed. Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Do you have any pics of your debacle? Where exactly was the failing point?
  5. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, we definitely need pics!
  6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

What would you say about the quality of Springfiel Armory 1911's?

Do they too suffer from the dreaded "Souther American metal" disease?

To the OP, glad that nobody was injured, seems you got ahold of one of the infamous taurus lemons, my condolences.

My 605 has had about 600 trouble free rounds through it, half with .357 Mags, and half with .38 Specials, maybe I got the lemon, since Taurus is such awful quality :smirk:
  7. Noboundaries

Noboundaries G&G Newbie

Pics? Yep, got pics. Took them as soon as I got home. Here are a few for your examination.

Attached Files:

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I don't Know as I only have the OLD ones Not made in SA....You can freakin Laugh all you want but when you have worked on as Many as I have and seen the Crappy parts and workmanship inside you might see the Truth about Taurus and Not just the Outside "Polished" facade.

I can Bake you a Mooseturd Pie that will sure Make your Mouth water when you see it........until you know what is inside !!! LOL
  9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

After seeing the above pictures...I REST My Case !!!:eek:wned2:

Rich
  10. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

There's a youtube video of the same thing happening to a S&W revolver so I guess it can happen to anybody.
  11. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

I've seen pics of similar failures of a couple of Taurus Judges. From what I read, the problem is with an overtorquing of the barrel causing a stress fracture and resulting failure.
  12. Noboundaries

Noboundaries G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the input guys. I've been working long hours and haven't had a chance to run by a gun shop to ask a few questions. I have no problem shipping it back, but if Taurus returns a new gun, my understanding is that it will have to be DROS'd and I need an FFL for that to happen. Hopefully I'll get the amputated Tracker off to Taurus this week.
  13. single shot

single shot G&G Newbie

I have had a few problems with weapon in my life - usually a semi with many many round through it. The ONLY new gun I have ever had a problem with is a Taurus 856.

You boys just keep on in denial!
  14. Kaybe

Kaybe G&G Enthusiast

Mmmmmm....mooseturd pie! The same thing happened to friend of mine during his yearly qualification for the dept. Smith and Wesson Model 64. He fired one round, re-sighted, couldn't find the front sight. Looked at his gun, couldn't find the barrel. Broke right off at the frame. Metal Fatigue. The gun had about 60,000 + rounds of +p through it. I personally think that blued steel is better than stainless. It seems to hold up better, but that is just my uneducated opinion. Glad you were not hurt.
  15. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Happened to my brothers Smith too.
  16. Drygulch

Drygulch G&G Newbie

To N/B'
    You are right, IF they send you a replacement,it will have to be DROS and shipped to a dealer.I had a nice 69 Taurus in 357. Shipped it out once due to timing. Was shaving lead from some chambers. Some years later, mag extractions were impossible. Sent it out for repairs. After many excuses and almost nine months later, I finally got a replacement. Tjhe new 44 mag with ported four inch barrel. The only legal help I got was from Miami Better Business Bureau. The DOJ and NRA were useless. Then Taurus lied to the BBB and claimed they did not recieve the paperwork. The new 44 is OK, not the quality of a SW. Good luck!
    Rod
  17. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Moose, can you share that recipe, or is it a family secret?
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

So I take it any pictures of my almost 30 year old Taurus Model 66 that will still shoot cloverleaf patterns would not impress you? Even though the only part ever replaced in it was a spring I damaged myself?
  19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I had a 6shot Taurus replaced by a 7shot and the only thing I had to do was re-register it in the sherrifs dept,no dealer.It was written up as repairs. ,,,sam.
  20. FISHPOND

FISHPOND G&G Newbie

Post the video please..

Not to choose sides, but I have taurus's and smith's and Kimbers and Rugers and they treat me good. However if one ever does this, I'll be sure to let every-one know... Sorry about the pistol!!!!