Been wanting a 45-70 rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by Mosin_Mike, Apr 24, 2012.

1. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Newbie

I have been drooling for months looking at 45-70 rifles, I like the Marlin guide gun also the full sized rifle is nice also. The Ruger No. 1 is great also but its more expensive but it's at the top of my list, would love to find a used one. Henry has one also but there is also all the cool Italian copys of the Springfield trapdoors, Sharps, Rolling Blocks, (John Brownings!!) 1885 Highwall, all expensive. At the cheapest is the Harrington & Richardson at about $320. I would rather not spend more then a grand but I'm not sure which I would like to spend my hard earned money on. I like the lever guns but the single shots are classic looking. Has any one ever shot the Ruger No1, Harrington & Richardson or the Marlin and what did you think? Another great one is the USSG Inc side by side ($1020), awesome old school safari style, most side by sides start at 10,000 bucks. Help I want one and I'm tired at staring at the ammo at the store and dreaming.
  2. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Enthusiast

Personally I think I'd get a lever action gun in .45-70.

I've been in love with that round ever since i saw it while browsing the ammo racks a gander Mnt. Ever since then I have liked that round. Its huge lol.
  3. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Newbie

It looks like an awesome round, I just found a lever gun for 585, thinking about it. Is the big loop better then the reg loop, I prefer the reg one but the big loop is six rounds vs four. I dont plan to spin it like the duke! LOL
  4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

I currently own two of the original Marlins; one Guide Gun, and one XLR hunting rifle.

There is more "smile per boom" factor with the 45-70 than just about any cartridge out there.

IF you can find an original Marlin (before Remington) 45-70 of ANY model, buy it. You will not be disappointed.

I'm a big fan of Ruger, but NOT a big fan of single shot rifles.
  6. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

A word of caution

This is too much cartridge for many shooters.
    Try to shoot one or at least watch one being fired before making a purchase.

On the other side you can often find used guns in this caliber pretty much in new condition as it too much cartridge for many shooters.

Best wishes.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

That is one of the reasons I suggested getting a used one. Most of them are like new.

Just so we don't scare him away from a .45-70, I will say that it is very similar to a 12 gauge shotgun in felt recoil. Anyone who can shoot a 12 ga. can shoot a .45-70.

I have sold 5 of my guide guns over the years, because when I let my friends shoot them, they wanted to buy them right away. I just get another one.

Now that Marlin is Remington, and folks are squawking about the quality, I will not be selling any more of my Marlins.
  8. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Newbie

I will look in to used ones on gun broker. As for the round if its like a 12 gauge no problem at all. Hell, if it was like a 10 guage I would still want one. I went and saw a Marlin today but the shop only had one with a 22" barrel Im looking for the 18.5. Its out there and soon I am going to buy one. I did see a Ruger no 1 also but at over 1000 bucks it's way out of my price range but they are nice.
  9. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Ive allways wanted a lever 45/70 like the Marlin. I have a few original trapdoors in 45/70 and also an Enfield Carbine converted over by Navy Arms. Im not sure how many they converted but they are nice rifles and not many around. Maybe I will get my lever gun one day. Whats the price on the lever Marlins ?
  10. Mosin_Mike

Mosin_Mike G&G Newbie

They run about 550 and up to a little less then a grand for the tricked out model, less if its used. Those trapdoors are great rifles, do you ever shoot it?
  11. 18whlsrolin

18whlsrolin G&G Newbie

I live in middle TN and the H&Rs can be had for $250. You might want to look around some more. Another plus about the H&R is that in many states you can use a single shot 45-70 to muzzleloader hunt with. The number of states allowing this is growing. I have gotten great accuracy from the H&R 45-70. The more I shoot the more I am drawn to simple designs that clean up easy. I still love my levers but I find I don't hunt or put a lot of rounds through them much anymore. Good luck
  12. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

The factory loads for 45-70 are pretty mild, they have to be for those that shoot the old ones. If you get a modern lever gun (Marlin, Win.'86) you can load'em up quite a bit if you are up to it. They really aren't half bad with 350 gr bullets.