Beer can mortar

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MAX7.62, May 30, 2005.

1. MAX7.62

MAX7.62 G&G Newbie

NEW PROJECT, NEW PROJECT!!!!!

I've actually gotten rather hooked on the scale black powder cannon thing so after two very successful cannon projects I decided it was time for a mortar.

I have studied a scale Cohorn mortar on Cannon Mania's web site ;www.cannonmania.com
    and decided that was the one! I just finished the main machine work on the tube - barrel - pipe - - whatever, today and still have to build the sled. This mortar is basically of beer can caliber and will use cement filled beer cans as projectiles! According to the specs Cannon Mania gives 350 to 400 grains of FFG will launch a cement filled beer can close to a half mile! I think the bore will accept tennis balls as well but I haven't test fit one yet. I'll try to post a pic or two later, I might actually have this one finished for the ALA-BAM-ER machine gun shoot next weekend. I have a 2" smooth bore Wierd style cannon that will definantly be there.

NOTE: The "Wierd" was an actual cannon design used during the war of northern aggression.
  2. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

You'll put yer eye out with that!
  3. Otter

Otter G&G Newbie

Keep in mind the guy from Vermont who had a cannon for launching loafs of bread, he took it to Ohio where it blew up killing two people and he is pending trial at the cross bars hotel. My cannon would launch a beer can full of sand over a mile, 2.75 inch bore.
    we stopped playing with it before anyone was seriously wounded. If you must play, play safe, use a sand pit where you can take cover to avoid flying pieces of steel.
    I also know of a guy doing a civil war re-enactment who lost an arm when he rammed a powder charge down the barrel of his cannon while there were still smoldering embers from the previous blast. My advise, learn from other people's misstakes, not your own.
  4. inuyasha

inuyasha G&G Newbie

least the guy knew enough to use one arm when ramming the charge... i was supposed to help out in the alamo re-enactment *yes at the actual alamo.. i was like 14 or so at the time* and the guy stressed a LOT that you use ONE hand to put it down back in the day because they could go off and remove an arm.. this way you would only lose one rather than both. didnt end up helping out -- went on vacation same day, but it was nice knowing for my own world domina... next time i do a re enactment <.< >.>
  5. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

In Rev-War Re-enacting we have established safety procedures as a result of learning from such tragedies. I can go into more detail if you wish. While I mainly know musketry, I know of some significant artillery safety methods which would have probably prevented the accidents described above.
  6. steel_warrior1

steel_warrior1 G&G Newbie

Ah hell, go for it, just make sure you don't blow yourself up!
  7. tinny

tinny G&G Newbie

After reading this post I had to join so I could reply. Ok Who do you think is going to beleive you have a cannon that will launch a beer can full of SAND over a mile????? If you had ever fired a cannon with anything full of sand you would know that any amount of powder that would send it even 200 yrds will collaps a beer can filler with anything soft like sand and second one mile is simply impossible to do.
  8. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

mmm uh your sand point may be valid but I have whitnessed concrete filled beer can projectiles fly much farther than a mile down range

farthest shot was in excess of 8000 feet
  9. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

That's some crazy stuff man. It doesn't seem worth it to me. Stick with muzzle loading or something.
  10. bluetruck99

bluetruck99 G&G Newbie

i want pics and video! the best i've done is tater cannons. (both compressed air and the electric spark ignition varietys)