Best .22LR rifle for 100 yard shooting?

Discussion in '.22/rimfire' started by phrogg, Mar 3, 2006.

1. phrogg

phrogg G&G Newbie

...I read an article a while back about a guy who made a thumbhole stock for his Ruger 10/22 and had a special thumb-adjustable screw for barrel harmonics.

That all just sounds fancy and doesn't really help you unless you know what it means, but basicly, the guy said he was getting 2 inch groups at 100 yards.

I didn't even know .22s went 100 yards.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience with any .22LR target rifles getting at least mediocre groupings at 100 yards? What would I need? If a Ruger 10/22 and a bull barrel would be the extent of it, I'd probably be willing to invest in a $150 bull barrel/stock and a $90-ish scope (8-32x power) to be shooting at 100 yards.

"match" .22 ammo at Wal-Mart is... what, $5 for 50 rounds, something like that? I know that doesn't compare to the $9 for 550 rounds they've got on the winchester stuff, but it's still cheap as far as ammo goes.
  2. ash

ash G&G Regular

All you need is a standard .22 with standard ammo and a good mil dot scope to adjust for elevation.

I have a bull barrel and thumbhole stock on my 10/22 but thats just my personal preference.
  3. phrogg

phrogg G&G Newbie

Does the bull barrel help much?

...Standard does it. Nice. Thanks, ash, I didn't even know that.
  4. ash

ash G&G Regular

Bull barrels nice. I like a little heavier gun.

Just remember the gun only counts for about 20% of the shooting the rest is all you.
  5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

a well set up 10/22 will do 2" at 100yds easily. getting a 10/22 to do under an inch at 100yds is also do-able, but that requires $$$$, experimentation, a little black magic,a good shooter, and top end ammo. i compete in a BR league with my 10/22 at 100yds, and can regularily run groups from 3/4"-1 1/4" on very calm days. id add a little more money to your budget, and then maybe build a gun.
  6. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

LeftyO said it, I will confirm it but you won't do it with the wind blowing ! I have Both the regular 10/22 and my custom Bull barrel 10/22 and the Bull shoots groups better than 1/2 the size of the standard barrel. And Ammo has a Lot to do with it ! I have a little Browning auto that will shoot 10 shots you can cover with a dime at 50 yards with a skinny barrel ! Go figure...
    Rich
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Semiautos are more difficult to group well at 100 yards, but many bolt-actions can do well there - like was said tho, NO wind and good ammo!
    My Winchester 75T has shot two five round groups of a half inch at 100 yards, using a cheap clamp rest and a 6X Weaver scope. Did it with Winny Dynapoint bulk-pack ammo too.
    My 14 pound Martini-action BSA Mk.II International can shoot under an inch with it's peep sights at 100 yards.
    My Norinco JW-27 sporter can do under an inch with Dynapoints too, and a Bushnell 4-12X40AO scope from Wally World.

I've read of shooters of bygone eras shooting 200 yard matches with the lowly .22LR rimfire - makes one wonder, eh? This little round has more going for it than most folks realize. :nod:

An old retired Marine who I used to associate with down here (he's gone to muster with God now) would regularly pop soda cans on the berm at about 110 yards, with his open-sighted Ruger Mk.II pistol with ten inch heavy barrel. I learned much from that old Marine!
  8. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

i run a little .22 sil. shoot in the summer... he is my .02 worth... you see alot of bolt guns on the line... you see a couple 10/22's. most are the 10/22t heaveu bdl. alot of guys are going to the cz.... if you get a bull bdl. you can only shoot 1 class. if you get a std. bdl. you can shoot both.....
    the fartest target for .22 sil's is 100m or 109 yds.... and a .22 will take them down with a good hit.... everybody i know or who have shot sil.'s use the standard vol. ammo.
    as for a scope you need a scope with target turrets so you can adj. for the diffrent targets...but there is a way to use a plain scope off the street....
    if you want some realy fun stop by your closest sil range...alot of serise guys but they are having fun ...its a blast...
  9. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

sorry !!! i was in a hurry this morning to get out in the field.... there are 2 classes for .22's std. class . that is the heavy bdl. and hunter class , that is the tapperd bdl....
    asw far as what .22 ammo to use it all depends on what the rifle likes.. 1 of my sons has a savage mkll and it likes the remington target. my other son has a cz.. it likes the agela se... it also likes rws. but them things are 3.50 a box.. the agelas shoot just the same and they are 15 bucks a brick... my youngest shoots a remington 541-s . that 1 also likes the agelas....
    the agelas are eley primed. you can smell it when you shoot them....
    and as far as a group at 100 yds . off sand bags that little cz will make a nice dine size group if he takes his time....
  10. Smith357

Smith357 G&G Newbie

I use a Walther UIT Supermatch topped with a 50x scope and feed it RWS R50. I have the trigger set to 1/4 oz and when I do my part the rifle will drop 5 shots in one hole at 50 yards and keyhole at 100.
    My T/C Contender with the match grade Bullberry barrel and 24X B&L Elite 3000 using Federal Gold Medal Match is almost equal to the heavy Walther. I win more money with the T/C because the Walther looks accurate just sitting there.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  11. phrogg

phrogg G&G Newbie

Nice. o_o All this is stuff I had no idea about.

Ruger 10/22 with bull barrel it is, then. Any reccomendations on a nice bull barrel/stock for under $250, not including the $200 for the gun itself?
  12. ash

ash G&G Regular

13. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

I'll put a word in for my Remington Fieldmaster 572. It does well at 100 yards on a still day with quality ammo.
    With cheapy ammo I gotta come in to 50 or so yards to hit the fruit or plastic bottles I generally shoot at. (Paper gets so boring)
    That little pump is sweet.
  14. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You Shoot Fruit ??? What did they ever do to you ? Shame !LOL
  15. Outriderdark

Outriderdark G&G Newbie

And I just leave them laying there on the range, too.
  16. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the only bull barrel thats cheap and decent quality is made by green mountain. a volquartsen or magnum research barrel will outshoot them, but will also use up your entire budget.
  17. jellydonut

jellydonut G&G Newbie

Marlin 60

Without even trying hard, I can get ~2 inch groups at 100yards using my Marlin 60 (~100 bucks at purchase date) with a $30 Powerline 3-9x40 .22/pellet-gun scope from Walmart. It stays sighted in well, and I havne't had any problems. The clarity isn't top-of-the-line w/ the scope, but it's good for the money. I use the 500 rd Federal bricks of ammo for about $9 from Wallyworld, too. Those Marlins have very few malfunctions, too. I think I've had one malfunction after shooting around 350 rounds through it. Great accuracy, too. It's a pretty heavy barrel, too. ...not that you need a bull barrel for accuracy.
  18. jellydonut

jellydonut G&G Newbie

Also, the Federal 22LR ammo that has 123 lb/ft of energy at the muzzle, has around 83 lb/ft at 100 yards, if anyone was wondering.
  19. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The venerable Marlin Model 60 is indeed a great little rifle for the money. I like to wow the yokels by shooting golf balls on the 110 yard berm. I can usually manage to nail three out of five. :D
    I find that Winchester Dynapoints are the tightest shooting 'bulk pack' .22LR ammo, though with Winchester's recent troubles, it's getting hard to find.
    Whitedevil84 likes this.
  20. Troy

Troy G&G Newbie

nasty!