Best 9mm ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammunition Reports' started by lorcin25, Apr 23, 2008.

1. lorcin25

lorcin25 G&G Newbie

I am sure this has already been asked (probably dozens of times) but what is the best 9mm ammo for personal defense AND for plinking?
    Just bought a Tarurus 24/7 and want to know what is the best.

(I tried searching for this topic but I absolutely hate how this site's search works).
  2. evilblackrifle

evilblackrifle G&G Newbie

For personal defense the heavier bullets (124-147) are best. I like Gold Dots 147gr
    For plinking - buy whats cheapest.
  3. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

My favorite plinking 9mm ammo is Winchester White Box (100 round boxes).

For self defense, 147gr Federal Tactical HST ammo gets very good reviews.
  4. tlarkin

tlarkin Suspended

I buy the winchester 100 round value pack of luger 9mm, makes it about 5.5 cents per a round.
  5. BloodRedStratus

BloodRedStratus G&G Newbie

Another for the Winchester 100 round value pack for plinking. The place with the best price for me locally is Wal-Mart.

I have heard good reviews and reports on HydroShocks for self defense. I keep meaning to pick up a box to take to the range with me, but just haven't done it yet. For now, I am just using Winchester hollow points. I believe they are 147 gr.
  6. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

i like 9mm guns
    two of my FAVs sig 229 <16 rounds> Ber PX4 storm <20 rounds>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hydra shock
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  7. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Yep, unless you want to buy big bulk lots , you can't beat the Winchester 100 round white box, Wal-mart $18.50.

For defense I like the inexpensive Federal +P+ 115 grain JHP law enforcement load, they don't restrict them anymore and are easy to find, go for $18/ per 50 round box. From all the statistics of it's use, the Federal 9BPLE is as good as it gets, other loads that look better on paper and have expensive magic gee-whiz bullet construction may do as well against people, but nothing does better. Federal's plain little vanilla flavored hollow point has an excellent record of performance going back 20+ years.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  8. 9mmfan

9mmfan G&G Newbie

Federal Hydra-Shok 147 gr. for self defense and Winchester White Box 100 round value pack for practice and plinking. Also Federal is making another 9mm round that I'm getting good reports about:

Premium® Expanding Full Metal Jacket
    An ideal choice for agencies that don't permit hollow point ammunition, this revolutionary barrier-penetrating design
    combines a scored full metal nose over an internal rubber tip that collapses on impact. It never fills with barrier material
    and assures expansion on every shot. A lead core at the base maintains weight retention.
    [​IMG]
  9. lorcin25

lorcin25 G&G Newbie

I never hear much of powerball ammo. Are most on this board not fond of it??
  10. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

Cor-Bon's powerball construction to insure expansion sounds good but they only offer it in a 90 grain bullet, I'd prefer something heavier.
  11. HEMI

HEMI G&G Newbie

DPX, gold dots, hydra shoks,ranger T,
    There are a bunch, find what shoots best in your gun.
  12. Drizzdog

Drizzdog G&G Newbie

Self Defense Ammo

I usually go by what Massad Ayoob writes. I always found him to be informative and one of those guys whose "been there" so to speak. I believe its important to have that self defense ammo shoot flawlessly through your gun so make sure your taurus feeds whatever ammo you choose without a hitch. For plinking ammo I'd go along with with 100 round value packs at walmart, You can't really go wrong with the accuracy for the decent price that it is. I love to read reviews/demonstrations on ammunition, and here's one on cheaper ammunitions on the market The Box O' Truth - Educational Zone #6 - Cheap 9mm Ammo Accuracy

I would also stay away from 147 grain self defense ammo, I've read in quite a few places that it doesn't feed great in some top shelf guns, and that it's ballistic performance is actually less than a mid grain bullet, like 124 grain. In some cases it does have a knack for over-penetrating.Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm That article was written based on the opinions of three published "experts" on the subject, Ayoob, Marshall, and Sanow. Basically I think whatever is good and comfortable for you is your best choice. I can say I enjoy shooting the winchester white box and I have pretty good results. I also like american eagle red box 124gr FMJ. For self defense in a 9mm, I have carried 124gr Hydra-Shok's. They cycled and functioned reliably and I have faith that It will do damage. Just my Opinion through some research and first hand experience.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  13. ander254

ander254 G&G Newbie

Beware of going to Box o' truths website. I made that mistake a couple days ago. I spent 4hrs just reading articles. Pretty amazing stuff. Other than that it sucks you in...its a great website. Wish I had his job. And how about that Buffalo rifle?
  14. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Best 9mm ammo for personal defense is Hornady TAP ammo. NUFF SAID!
  15. mwatson

mwatson G&G Newbie

For plinking cheap stuff, and self defense hydra-shock or corbon.
    Mike
  16. Drizzdog

Drizzdog G&G Newbie

No joke, I still stare at his buffalo rifle, It's great that they make them here in Montana, not so great that they have such a waiting list. :34:I found the cleaning the stock with the oven cleaner to be great. Tried it out on the nagant and it worked beautifully. I've heard of the old dishwasher on the pots & pans cycle, but the nagant is too much of a tall beast to throw it in there. I enjoy the fact that he's got people sending him ammo and he gets to test it by shooting through dry-wall/cars/wood/bricks/whatever he feels like. I can honestly say for penetration tests, some of them are "real world" materials. Apparently he hasn't yet tried penetration tests on humans *child rapists and murderers* so i'm still waiting for those results. :eek:wned2:
  17. ander254

ander254 G&G Newbie

from what i've seen on his website (which is every article sadly enough...i said hours on there..) he shoots anything people send him. I guess we can hogtie us up some rapist or murderer and send it his way. Yeah did you see the double decker trash can oven which they heated up i believe a mosin to get the cosmoline out of it? I've thought about acquiring a couple mosins but i really don't want to go through the cleaning process, because the one other was flat gunked-up. Guess i'll get mine off of gunbroker already cleaned.

wait...that gun oven was on i believe surplusrifle.com...but anyway its still a great site. I was amazed at the penetration (or lack there of) of the taurus judge.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  18. Sins-of-Mosin

Sins-of-Mosin G&G Newbie

Another vote for that white box. Thats all I've ever bought and never had a issue.

For personal defense - no clue.
  19. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

for me its whatever is cheapest, thats white box from wallmart most of the time
  20. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Suspended

Personal defense ammo costs about $1.00+ a shot. Plinking ammo, about .20 a shot.

It's a matter of what you can afford. If you can afford to plink with good, late model hollow points then that's what you should do.

I cannot afford that $1.00+ a shot stuff until my children quit asking for shoes every week or two. :09:

I like to get the plinking ammo to be at least the same bullet weight as my self defense ammo so the point of aim and recoil stay fairly consistient.