Best air rifle for the money?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alaskanhunter, Jul 18, 2010.

1. alaskanhunter

alaskanhunter G&G Newbie

I am looking for a new air rifle, a break action one. I have had the 2 same bb guns for 10+ years, a Crosman 760 and a Daisy buck with a longer wood stock i made for it. I have been working at this old ladys farm for a couple months now and she has had a varmint problem in her garden and she wants me to get rid of it. She lives in a neighborhood so real guns are not allowed. I love my 760 but it has lost power and accuracy over the years and im not confident shooting anything bigger than a mouse with it. I would like the gun to be under $150, and i have been looking at a couple of them. The Gamo Big cat 1200, The Crosman Quest 1000 and The Gamo nitro (camo). Which one of these is the best for the money? most accurate? Is 1000 fps enough power for squirels, rabbits, groundhogs, raccons? Thanks
  2. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Personally I would stay away from Gamo. Their triggers aren't very good. I would also try to stick with a wood stock when choosing a break barrel spring air gun. A break barrel air rifle will kill a raccoon and a groundhog...but at close range and keep it a head shot. I've taken a few coons and groundhogs with my Winchester 1000 (junk) and it will kill them, if its a head shot, or if it is broadside an ear shot is good. I think a ruger air hawk ($115) or air hawk elite ($179) would serve you well.

Air Hawk
    Ruger Air Hawk Combo. Air rifles - PyramydAir.com

Air Hawk Elite
    Ruger Air Hawk Elite Combo. Air rifles - PyramydAir.com

Very good video reviewing the two
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETOLphpP9ZU]YouTube - Ruger Air Hawk Elite vs. Ruger Air Hawk - are they really the same gun...?[/ame]
  3. alaskanhunter

alaskanhunter G&G Newbie

I didnt know ruger made airguns, i will check them out
  4. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I like those Rugers. I might have to look into one of those.