Best ak for the money

Discussion in 'AK47' started by alaskanhunter, Jul 1, 2010.

1. alaskanhunter

alaskanhunter G&G Newbie

What is the best ak-47 for the money? I know that the Romanian aks are the cheapest, but are the good quality? I have heard of them having "canted" sights and gas tubes what does that mean? Are they fixable? What other aks are available and how much? I would like to spend no more than 450 and it has to be 7.62 cal. Thanks for the help!
  2. pico

pico G&G Newbie

Get a chinese mak 90 with a milled receiver. You can't go wrong with it. The only drawback is that it will not take ordinary milled AK receivers, so you will need to cough up some cash to get one from ironwood. Also, it does not have a threaded barrel, so to make it first class you will need to have this done or get a pin on muzzle brake, which really such and rarely fit the thicker barrel. For the cost, these are not bad at all.
  3. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

A Yugo M70 is another good one for the money.

But for the money you have and want to spend, you're probably looking at a Romanian WASR10.

Just buy one in person and inspect it for gas tube and or front sight canting. Also make sure it takes 30rd. mags.

Some say they're junk but like your typical AK, they run great. You just have to watch out for poor workmanship. I mean, that's the only way I could explain the gas tube and or front sight not being put on straight. Other then those minors issues, which you can look for and see and then avoid, you can find a good Romanian and it will work and shoot just as good as the rest.
  4. alaskanhunter

alaskanhunter G&G Newbie

How can you tell if the front sigt and gas tube are canted??
  5. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

The EAA Zastava PAP can be had new for around $350 and has a warranty. The single stack magwell can be easily opened up for double-stack mags. (There's a thread on doing that somewhere on this site.) Steel single-stack mags can be gotten to replace the stock plastic ones if you'd rather go that route. It's available with either wood or black polymer stock and forend.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  6. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Saiga most definitely. You're gonna get a good many people saying Mak 90, but the truth is, they aren't a bit better than a Saiga and cost 2-3 times more. If you want to spend the money, Arsenal is the best brand in the US right now. I had a Romanian and it served me well, but when compared to a Saiga or Arsenal, it doesn't come close. I'm not sure about Zastava. I've heard they're no better than Romanians, but I haven't seen one to verify that. Also, if you go with a milled receiver AK, you will have more trouble finding parts and accessories for it. When you do find them, they'll cost more. When I can afford it, I'm buying a Saiga.
  7. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Personally I place the stock against my shoulder low enough that I can look over the receiver cover, which I use as a reference point, and eyeball the front sight ears. If the sight leans to the side it's fairly easy to see. Of course this is by no means the best way but it works ok for a quick check.
  8. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

9. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

My Saiga .223 was $230 brand new a couple years ago.
  10. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I got a Siaga 7.62x39 with the stock replaced by a Tapco M4 style stock for $450 and two 30 round mags. Bang for the buck Siaga is the deal going.
  11. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The pricing varies but I would buy an American commie clacker by I.O. Inc. They can be had in 7.62x39 or 7.62x54R. Check out their pistols too.Welcome to I.O. Inc.
  12. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer G&G Regular

Save up a few more dollars.

The best 7.62 AKMs for my money have all been pre-ban Chinese Norinco and Poly Tech.
    I prefer the lighter stamped receiver over the heavier milled receiver, but you can't go wrong with either.

Norinco and Poly Tech MAK90s are great if you are on a tight budget.
  13. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

I will be picking one up that I put on lay-a-way soon so I will be itching to see how it performs compared to my Saiga - I was pretty impressed by the fit and finish and am looking forward to putting some good furniture on it. I am thinking wood from Ironwood - not sure though.
  14. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

In the $450 range I have personally been very impressed with the Yugo and the Chinese AK's, I would NOT recommend a WASR at any price point.
  15. pico

pico G&G Newbie

Midas is right on... stay clear of the WASRs and either get a chinese ak or pick up a SAIGA. If going saiga, consider the 7.62x51 version, which is great.
  16. Rifle_Shaman

Rifle_Shaman G&G Newbie

Ive gotta say Saiga, its a brand new RUSSIAN rifle.
  17. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

The Yugo M70 is an excellent rifle. I love mine. I had a WASR-10 and I sold it and got the Yugo and never looked back. I don't know how much they run now, but when I got mine it was going for $450 or so, I think. :ak:
  18. TinCan Assasin

TinCan Assasin G&G Newbie

I must have lucked out with my WASR. I like it. Not a tack driver, but accurate enough given it's an AK.

TCA
  19. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

20. JC-75

JC-75 G&G Newbie

I'm gonna say saiga. It's as close as you can get to a russian ak.