Best Ar15 Caliber for the money

Discussion in 'AR15' started by TyRick, Mar 15, 2011.

1. TyRick

TyRick G&G Newbie

I want to know what the best ar 15 caliber for the money (as far as ammo) is that can shoot accurate at 400 yards.
  2. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

This ought to be interesting.

If all you care about is accuracy, then the .223 in a heavy bullet (69 grain Match) is probably the best choice, FOR THE MONEY.

If you want it to kill something, bigger than a varmint, at that range, then I would guess a 6.8MM.

It will be fun to see where this Thread goes.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Ten Man has the right of it. The Poodle Shooter will punch paper pretty well with a 20 inch barrel and a match grade bullet at 400 yards. On the other hand, if you are talking about hunting, the first thing you need to do is get a different rifle.

But if you MUST use an AR-15 for hunting because you worship at the altar of the Stoner Fetishists, a piston-driven 6.8mm or 7.62 mm (which is either a SCAR or a Model 417, come to think of it; close enough for jazz to an AR-15, anyway) would take down anything up into the deer and mountain goat range.
  4. Vintovka

Vintovka G&G Newbie

i could never afford one, but the H&K 416/417 are pretty freakin' sweet. identical in operation and appearance to the AR-15, but with AK-47 style reliability. i saw this thing on the history channel where they buried it in sand, and it still shot. then mud, and it still shot. and then they dunked it in water and shot before it fully drained and not only did it not explode but it still shot! that's nothing to AK people but for AR people that's practically unimaginable :)
  5. TyRick

TyRick G&G Newbie

yeah i was thinking of some thing to hunt with.
  6. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Enthusiast

I agree with Ten Man on .223 for paper punching. A factory match round is roughly 60 cents for .223 (thinking Hornady here).
  7. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Hunt what exactly?
  8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

a properly set up AR in .223 is a great varmint hunter out past 400yds.
  9. TyRick

TyRick G&G Newbie

10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

personally, i dont see any good options for deer in an AR if you really want to take 400yd shots.
  11. TyRick

TyRick G&G Newbie

What do you think is the best for deer in general.
  12. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Look into an AR-10 in .308. A 6.8 or 6.5 Grendal also will also work fine, but they're expensive.
  13. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Nine REPLYs before derailment.

Not bad.

If you are talking deer hunting, there's a whole Forum for that on G&G.

Go take a look at the Hunting Forum.
  14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

my opinion is, the AR15 platform does not have a suitable chambering for taking deer sized critters cleanly at 400yds. lots, and lots of good choices in other platforms. do some research and make an informed decision for yourself, on a forum, your going to get 50 people telling you what they own is best.
  15. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Newbie

wouldnt you be able to pull that of with a .25 wssm.

honestly it would probobly cost less in the long run to get an AR-10 in .308 if you want an AR for long range deer.

what rifle/cartrige is BEST for deer in general, i dont think that question has ever been answered.
  16. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

I would vote for the AR10 in .308 to answer your question and I think the AR platform is plenty accurate for that range and .308 is sufficiant for taking deer.
  17. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

If you're hunting, I have to wonder why you favor the AR platform - or any scaled up or down or otherwise modified semi-auto versiion of a military full auto weapon - when there are bolt guns available that will generally shoot better. It's not like you're going to be doing a double tap on a target that's 400 yards out. I know that's a whole different discussion and I don't want to hijack the thread, but I just wondered.
  18. pico

pico G&G Newbie

Some of the newer rounds out there get close to the .30 cal rounds of the AR 10 from the AR 15 package. The 30 Remington has a lot going for it if you are perhaps into reloading. It has the energy of a 7mm mauser for an AR 15. You could take most game in North America with such a round. The 6.8 is likely to be your round of choice if you do not reload, as you might be able to find ammo. If you simply want to hit paper, then the .223 would be hard to beat.
  19. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Actually, a well tuned, 20" barreled AR 10 is good for 2 MOA or better. That is as good as most hunters can shoot with their bolt action rifles.

Personally, I would not use an AR platform for standard "Hunting Season" duty, just because of the tradition.

However, if it was during a time when survival skills were the rule of the day, I would feel exceptionally well equipped with my AR10, if I were looking for edible ungulates out to 400 yards, PROVIDED that I was using HUNTING bullets, not FMJ "battle rounds."

As for the OP original question, I still think the best "bang for buck" option is the .223 in an AR platform for TARGET shooting at 400 yards, and heavier bullets in larger caliber (such as 6.8MM or .30Cal.) for hunting varmints of coyote size, on up to Mulies. It depends on the bullet.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  20. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

Comments like this are disheartening for me when I think about our unity as firearms enthusiast. All "traditional" hunting rifles are adaptations of military arms. Bolt and lever guns where designed to increase the fire rate of a rifle, just as semi and full auto rifles increase the fire rate. The normal progression of firearms usage is designs are first devised for military use and then sportsman adapt their use to hunting and target shooting. Many traditional hunting calibers were developed in the same way. We face attacks on our firearms ownership every day from gun control advocates and anti-hunters. The last thing we need to do is perpetuate false perceptions that a semi-auto is not suitable for hunting when the facts don't support such a claim.

Semi-auto rifles, such as the AR10 and AR15 designs as well as many other adaptations of semi-auto designs are very suitable for hunting and some attributes make the platforms better suited for hunting depending on your needs. For example a semi-auto can take the punch out of heavy recoiling round and this can be very helpful for a recoil sensitive shooter, such as a small statured female, a younger shooter or an older shooter with joint or shoulder issues. Consider also that the modular design of these platforms allows virtually anyone to do custom modifications to the gun that gunsmiths traditionally do for more "traditional" hunting guns. Mounting a scope on an AR is greatly simplified with the mounts available compared to doing the same for a bolt of lever gun. The adjustable stock has been used by many to make an ar style rifle adjustable to fit several different shooters in the family making it useful for both dad, mom and child.

The AR platform is accurate, anyone that says different has never shot one and doesn't have a clue what they are talking about. Suitable hunting calibers are available in the AR15 and AR10 platforms for hunting varmints to big game. We should all support any form of legal hunting from archery to semi-auto's and everything in between. United we stand divided we fall. Wise Up!