best bullet size for 243

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bullpark 1956, Nov 17, 2008.

1. bullpark 1956

bullpark 1956 G&G Newbie

ok guys i just bought A 243 going to use it mostly for deer and antelope whats best bullet size foe this gun the 87 gr or the 100 gr
    many thanks
  2. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I would say shoot both through your rifle. Then use which ever bullet prints the closest group.

Both bullets should do the job well. Keep in mind that a lot of the lighter bullets are deisgned for varmits and are made to fragment quickly upon impact. Make sure the bullet you choose will expand well.
  3. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Newbie

You MUST use the heaviest bullet for big game as you are using a varmint rifle to shoot big game. I have seen more wounded animals, mainly deer, by people using a 243 with the wrong bullet over the past several decades than any other caliber. The Barnes X is a good choice, or the Nosler Partition in the heavier weights. Plus you MUST limit your range. The 243 has very poor down range energy!
  4. Metronome

Metronome G&G Newbie

If you are shooting standard loads, stick with the 100 gr bullet. I would not reccomend the lighter stuff unless it is the TSX or Bear Claw bullets, things just come apart too easily on the 80 grainers. The light stuff works on the little blacktail deer (<150 lbs) I generally see but better safe than sorry. If you are engaging antelope at longer distances, the heavier stuff will carry more energy, farther than the lighter ones as well. If you have a faster twist barrel, the 100 gr ballistic tips are great!

You forgot to brag about what kind of gun you got too - thats half the fun of being here :)
  5. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

Not to say that I doubt your experience but I recently used a .223 with a partition to take a deer in tx at 229 yds out of a 16" bushmaster. I think the .243 is plenty adequate with the PROPER BULLET. Without the proper bullet a rifle is useless. Think of a .30-06 on a white-tail with steel core FMJ. I would rather have a .22mag HP. Just a radical example but ahh the hell with it... Im gettin another beer..
  6. S.TexasHunter

S.TexasHunter G&G Newbie

I have hunted with a .243 since the 5th grade and i have never had a problem with taking down the animal. I shoot with 100 gr Remington core-lock and it's never let me down an long range shots
  7. bullpark 1956

bullpark 1956 G&G Newbie

sorry guys its a reminton 700 243 im so used to my 30-06 and 338 but just wanted something a little smaller and different to shoot i live here in wyoming so thats where my hunting is done at MANY THANKS
  8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

The .243 is one of my favorite two calibers

so I suggest trying several different bullet weights then going with the one that is the most accurate in your rifle.
  9. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

For factory ammo I used to use the Remington core-lokt ammo in 100gr bullets. It worked on every animal I ever shot. Federal makes the Fusion ammo with the Barnes as well as the nosler bullets. Both of those would be a great choice as well. If you reload then the sky is the limit. The .243 is a very versital caliber great for varmit up to large deer.
  10. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Most everybody is gonna agree with me on this. 100 grain or 105grain.
    Speer makes the 105.
  11. deadman03

deadman03 G&G Regular

for handloads it may be a bit simplar knowing exactly what bullet you are useing, for store bought ammo i would go with 100 grain bullets. although bullets such as a 85gr noslar partion should be perfectly fine.
  12. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

plain jane vanilla ammo-----------100 gr.

for the exotic/premium bullets----check with the manufacturer such as Barnes, nosler, etc.
  13. bullpark 1956

bullpark 1956 G&G Newbie

well im looking at the 100 gr nosler partition, im not much a varment hunter so it will just be used on deer and antelope thank you so very much all for your input
  14. Jim Rau

Jim Rau G&G Newbie

Excellent Choice!!!!:burnout: