Best derringer?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by blat, Oct 20, 2010.

1. blat

blat G&G Newbie

I didn't see a thread on the subject, so I started one.
    I'd like to hear personal experiences from you who have these guns.And that is: What is the higher quality derringer; the American (ADC) or the Bond? I had a couple ADCs years ago, but never even put hands on a Bond yet.The ADCs I had were excellent quality, back then.I don't much care for the 45C/410 guns; would probably get one in 45ACP, 357 or 9MM. One of the ADCs I had was their double action only gun in 357; I don't think they offer that gun in 357 now.38 special and 40 S&W is all they list.I also had a conventional Model 1 in 45ACP.I'm pondering on getting another top shelf derringer.I have or have had the Davis and Cobra guns, but those are totally out of the ADC/Bond class.The cheap derringers I've had like that all worked, but I want a quality 2- shooter.Can anyone out there share their opinions with me? Thanks.Oh, btw,does anyone have the model 7 Lightweight ADC? I'd thought about one of those in 38 special or 44 special.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  2. ouch

ouch G&G Newbie

In the hard woods - next to a pond in Missouri
    The Bond is built like a brick shouse. Very solid. Look for one used. If it isn't the "right" caliber the barrels are interchangeable and reasonable. Consider one in 45 colt. That way you can hand load it how you want, Light medium or too hot to handle. I keep all my 45acp loads the same and will work in autos.

the Bond trigger takes some getting used to. If you pull it back it is heavy. If you pull it down it becomes quite reasonable. Use a two hand grip if possible. Strong hand pulls back the hammer and operates the trigger. The weak hand holds the handle.

My wife enjoys shooting a Bond in 45 colt. Last time that she shot it she nailed the x ring at 20 feet. I usually hit the black.
  3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

They are a real "hoot to shoot" and I am pleased to hear others enjoy them so much.I couldn't choose between only two.My favorite derringer is a Hi Standard top break DA in .22mag.Even with the seemingly 200lb trigger pull,I have killed several varmints (mostly chucks) with one.
  4. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTMxYhSfh9o]YouTube - M4 Alaskan Survival .45-70 Derringer[/ame]

:)
  5. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

We get the Bond ones in the shop. I really like them but haven't owned one yet !!
  6. ouch

ouch G&G Newbie

In the hard woods - next to a pond in Missouri
    Here is a short silent video shooting my 45 colt.
    Mine doesn't have the 410 option but I think that there is the potential for better accuracy as the barrel has more rifling than the 45/410.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3-DNnqTtqw"]YouTube - Bond Derringer firing both cylinders[/ame]

[​IMG]
  7. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

Regarding the 45-70 Deringer; I wonder what would hurt more, the grizzly mauling or shooting that.
  8. BarryHalls

removed, double posted
  9. BarryHalls

lol, indeed. Fun concept. I wouldn't mind one as a derringer though, it's just too dang bulky to be much good.

I mean, if you only have 2 shots, make them count, but still, those things are too big to fit in your sock.