Best High Capacity Semi-Auto Handguns

Discussion in 'Survival Gear' started by animalspooker, Nov 15, 2011.

1. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Regular

I'm not doing a poll, but would like everyones opinion.

I want to know what you think is the most dependable semi-auto with 12 or more rounds of capacity?
  2. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Hands down HK. Be it USP, P2000, P30, or if you must have a .45 and high capacity the Mark 23 Mod 0
  3. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Glock 17.

Love or hate Gocks, they pretty much set the standard for AK47 like reliability.
    And with 17+1 rounds of 9mm capacity it pretty much tops out the round count. Plus you can use a 33 rounder glock 18 mag in there too.

The Glock 19 is 15+1 capacity and is the best combination of frame size and capacity. Plus it can accept the 17 and 33 rounder mags too.

Its smaller than an HK P2000 which is 13 rounds and its lighter than a Sig P229 which also holds 13.

Also to throw in the mix is the fullsize Smith and Wesson M&P9 which also takes 17 round mags. Basically Glock reliability but improved ergonomics.

For 45 ACP, The HK45. 10 Round mags and the gun does not require you to have a 10" long trigger finger like the older full sized USP and Mark23.

or the FNP-45 which has 14 round mags.
  4. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

I am perfectly happy with my Para-Ordnance P14-45 with the 14 round magazines and one in the chamber
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Most dependable, without a doubt, is GLOCK.

THAT is why I carry them every day for CCW.

There are other guns that are nicer looking, nicer to shoot, and even nicer to hold, but there is no other semi-auto hand gun that is more dependable.

That is my opinion, and I am not alone.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

7. Erickson

Erickson G&G Enthusiast

Glock without a doubt has one of the best if not THE best track record of any high capacity pistol series. There are other guns that I do think could be/are the Glock's equal in terms of quality and reliability.

Browning Hi-Power
    CZ-75
    H&K USP

Honorable mentions

Smith & Wesson M&P
    FN Five-Seven
    Probably several others that are escaping me.

While not my personal favorite there is no denying Glock is king and probably will remain so for the foreseeable future. The gun is reliable, can take a beating and a shining tribute to the KISS rule. I am not much of a fan of the slimming Glock did with the Gen 4 models so if I were to ever get myself another Glock it would be a Gen 3.
  8. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

High cap. mags are made for a lot of handguns if you don't mind the dangle.
  9. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Interesting

historically, the Browning Hi-Power 9mm has a very long track record of success. I am not certain if it holds more than your stated number of rounds.

Best wishes.
  10. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Newbie

From my personal experience I have to say...

1. Glock
    2. Ruger SR series
    3. Springfield XD/XDM

But I hear good things about S&W M&Ps, Sig, and Beretta. But as far as reliability and price I don't think you can beat the top three I named, and nothing beats the capacity of 33 round Glock mags.
  11. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

For what its worth, if i really needed too, if I had to go throw my glock across the parking lot right now Im extremely confident it would still work.
  12. Erickson

Erickson G&G Enthusiast

13 + 1 if you are not in California.

How could I have forgotten Beretta and Sig... I have very little trigger time with the XD/XDM and Ruger SR series of pistols but that little bit I do have left me with nothing but positives to say about them as well.
  13. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

What are the complaints against the Tanfoglio/CZ/Witness pistols?
    EAA Witness Pistols - Dick Metcalf's Handgun Column
    “...I know for a fact that the basic Witness/CZ design is capable of 1.5-inch accuracy at 50 yards when properly tuned.” ...Dick Metcalf

I'm curious because I don't recall reading anything negative about them (I admit I'm not a bottom-feeder fan) but I seldom see them mentioned as a prime choice.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  14. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Regular

I'll mention them as a prime choice. CZ-75 family. CZ, EAA Witness, Jerhico, Armalite 24 and some others. Combines much of the Browning High Power design (considered by many the best combat pistol in the world) with the Petters' Sig P210 slide and rail system (the most accurate service pistol in the world).
    Mine's a Witness Steel 10mm service pistol. Also convertible in 9mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP and .22.
    Utterly reliable, accurate, easy to shoot with a perfect fit to hand (if you have "Browning hands", like me).
  15. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Regular

Ok. Glock it is. I am interested in a 9mm. Which Glock do you recommend? Are the Gen 4s any better?
  16. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

The Glock 19 is THE most popular model of Glock sold.

It is darn near "perfect" size for ALL intended uses, but especially CCW and Home Defense.

I prefer the Gen 3 Models, but that is just a personal choice. Now that Glock has corrected the springs in them, the Gen 4 Models seem to be selling well.

Best thing to do is go to a dealer that has both Gen 3 and Gen 4 Models for comparison.
  17. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Para Ordinance P-14. Check out the abuse test on you tube. Past with flying colors.
  18. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Enthusiast

Somewhere there is a torture test comparison of handguns under $1k, firing without cleaning until mechanical failure.

HK did not do well.

Springfield XD and Sig both made it to almost 10k rounds.

Glock made it over 10k, and was the last one standing, so they just got tired of shooting it.

Wish they had a thumb or grip safety.

There were others tested, but that's all that comes to mind.
  19. Erickson

Erickson G&G Enthusiast

I had a Glock 17C as my first handgun years ago and it was a fantastic gun, never had even 1 malfunction with it and it happily accepted every type of ammo I threw at it.

The talk at my LGS is that the Gen 4's have some spring problems but given that I am not an avid Glock man and that you always hear about things when they go wrong and far less often hear about them when they go well I would not take that as the gospel without doing some more research.
  20. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Newbie

The problems with 4th gens seem to have been taken care of now but unless you just want the adjustable back straps I see no reason to get a 4th gen over a 3rd gen. The 3rd gens are proven and are generally less expensive. I have a G17 and G26 right now and am looking for a G19 to complete the 9mm family. I may go with a G23 (.40 S&W), that way I can just use a 9mm conversion barrel and have the option of using 2 calibers, something I see as a real plus in a SHTF situation.