Best Mossberg 500 Configuration: Target and Self-defense (at home and in the woods)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by matt09, Jun 9, 2009.

1. matt09

matt09 G&G Newbie

Long title.

Anyway, I've more-or-less settled on buying a Mossberg 500. My current issue is deciding on which configuration to buy. In general I want this gun for target shooting and for self defense. My fiance's family has a cabin that has both some sketchy neighbors that have shown up on the property as well as a few resident black bears (depending on the year).

I think I'd prefer a configuration that didn't require switching out the barrel (like the field/deer combo) but could still fire a variety of loads (slugs, buck shot, etc.)

I'll also throw out that I'm new to shotguns. Have a .22 for plinking, but that's it.
  2. xd45

xd45 G&G Newbie

While an 18 inch is ideal for defense, a 24 is a pretty decent compromise between the two. One question to ask yourself, would the possible defense situation be more likely inside? You mentioned "on the property". If its just running weirdos off, a longer barrel wont be too big a deal, but once your in the house, anything over 24 inches is gonna get cumbersome around corners.

While its extra cash, I highly recommend two different barrels for the gun. They are easy to swap out, you can do it under 30 seconds, and you can just keep the defender barrel on the gun until your going hunting. My personal opinion though.

Welcome to the forums!
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  3. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

I'm still looking for a bargain priced 28" Mossberg 500 for turkey hunting next season.
  4. unclejer

unclejer G&G Newbie

All you need is a Mossberg or Maverick with a 24-28 inch barrel that will accept steel shot with screw in choke tubes so you can change them when needed. This will accept any 12ga ammo in the chamber length of the shotgun, and be multi purpose, a shorter barrel would be better for HD but you can make due with this and get a shorter barrel at a later time if desired.
  5. matt09

matt09 G&G Newbie

hey guys, thanks for the input and the welcome.

Working on the more-than-one-barrel idea I think I'll get a slugster (which I saw for ~$250) and then buy a 18 1/2 inch barrel from the mossberg website (~$80).

Cheaper then the field/deer and more tailored to what I was looking for (I think anyway --like I said, I'm new to shotguns)
  6. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    What kind of target shooting and at what range? I have a 500 that has an 18-1/2" barrel and a 28" ribbed barrel with two beads on it. When it is sitting at home, it has the 18-1/2" barrel on it. When I take it to the range, I put the other one on, depending on what I am shooting, and change it back when I get home. It is a real quick swap. The longer barrel with the two beads works very well for clay shooting and is very easy to line the shot up. I have, however shot a norinco tactical with an 18" barrel and hit clays with that, but it is harder. If you don't want to change barrels, look at the 8-shot shotguns and the 590 line. I think it would be a very good compromise between the two.
  7. Coeloptera

Coeloptera G&G Newbie

I think they sell a special that comes with 2 barrels already.

Let me see...that's the "500 Muzzleloader Combo" .50 Cal Muzzleloader & 12 Gauge 24" Slugster Barrels.

Nooooot quite what you're looking for.

I have the 500 Persuader. 8-round mag, 20" barrel. Lines up with the mag and I find it easily small enough for HD if needed. Range isn't too bad, but it's not hunting shotgun. For real range, I guess 24" in a good compromise.

Go look: O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Lots of options, they have.

But Mossberg barrel swapping is incredibly easy. No tools, takes literally seconds. In fact, all the breakdown for cleaning and such requires...a stick. You only need tools if you're going to swap stocks or do actual gunsmithing on the thing.

- Coeloptera
  8. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I like the 535, it costs a little more, but it's very versatile. It's a 31/2" mag, but with a regular sized 500 barrel so it will shoot slugs and buckshot. As ya can tell by the pic, the reciever is factory drilled for scope mounts. They come in 24" or 20" barrel in the Tactical configuration, mine is a 20" Turkey Tactical, ya can get a Tactical that is the same gun but in black, if ya don't like the camo. I added the foregrip, it comes with a regular-style forend. My gun can and has handled turkeys, big-game, small-game, home-defense, and clay-shooting with ease. I own a Skeet gun, a slug gun, and a plain-jane field model, as well as a 835 turkey gun (all Mossbergs of course!) but this gun here will do all that. The 535 also comes in a traditional style stock as well, if the Ar-15 style isn't your cup of tea.

[​IMG]
  9. AmericanPatriot

AmericanPatriot G&G Newbie

i just bought the mossberg 500 persauder for $260, i like it, ive been shooting slugs thru it at 50 yards. good gun. im not a shotgun person either, im an ak fan. but i think it'll be good for hd and the occassional shott for the hell of it.
  10. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Hold up Matt before you buy ! Thrillbilly came close to which Mossberg to buy.

People lets not forget Mossberg makes other model shotguns than the 500.

The 535 model is the one I'm going to suggest because it will handle 2&3/4 to 3 1/2 mag's.
    And what I like best of all is the redesigned semi hump reciever. My 930 semi-auto has the same reciever design and it very appealing.

The 535's come in combo's packages like the 500's. All the camo model Mossberg's cost way to much. But it's your money if you want camo But I would consider the Black matte synthectic stock models.
  11. connormcmanus

connormcmanus G&G Newbie

12. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

thrillbilly, that is a nice looking gun, but I do have one issue with it, personally.... with the location of the safety, I find it cumbersome to have a pistol grip. I bought one for my Mossberg and soon took it off and got the traditional style stock.
    I tried to get used to using my trigger finger to flip the safety off, but finally decided to just buy another stock that I'm comfortable with.
  13. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

I found that out too^ (about the safety) I like it on my regular 500s but it is kinda out of the way with the ar stock, it stays chamber empty anyway, so the safety stays off, just pump and shoot. Still love this gun better then all the other shotties I have/had/shot. It's even better with the front grip also. The buttstock seperates and comes off, leaving it w/ dual pistol grips.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009