Best rifle in $400.00 - $600.00

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Leee, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Leee

Leee G&G Newbie

I'm on the market for a new 30-06 rifle and I need some opinions on what to get.

Just From Cabela's website I narrowed it down to these:

1. Browning A-Bolt II Hunter (wood, blued) - $599
    2. T/C Venture (composite, blued) - $469
    3. Weatherby Vangard (composite, blued) - $429

Does anyone have first-hand experience with any of these?
    If you have any recommendations of rifles to add to my list would be great.

Thanks
  2. Lightweight

Lightweight G&G Enthusiast

Of those listed, I personally like the Weatherby Vanguard series (aka Howa). I just like the feel of the action and the controls, of course may people have written excellent reviews on them as well. The Weatherby versions have the 24" barrels so that is nice/different. My brother had used a Howa .300 Win Mag for years with LOTS of success (and he doesn't treat anything like a safe-queen). Durable affordable and accurate.

Also take a look at the Savage/Stevens rifles, and the Marlin XL7 Series - both excellent values.
  3. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

I own a Vanguard in .270win I can shoot 1 inch groups with it at 100 yards, and I wouldnt be suprised if the gun could shoot better and I was just hindering it haha.

My biggest complaint with the vanguard is when you pull the bolt all the way back it feels a little looser then I would like, but not really bad just a pet peeve of mine. But aside from that I really like mine. I would definitly recomend it. I have a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x5mm scope on it. How ever I did have to use high rise scope rings to make it work as the bell was to big. Even with the high rise rings I have about a 1/4 of an inch of clearence from the scope bell and the barrel. All in all I spent just under $700 for my whole set up, how ever I picked mine up for $399.

But in the end I am very happy with it and I feel it would be hard to replace without Going after a much more expensive rifle.
  4. TikkaTakDriver

TikkaTakDriver G&G Newbie

I just ordered a Vanguard but don't have it yet, I'll let you know in a few weeks. Other rifles I would recommend in that price range would be a Tikka T3... hence my username, the Ruger M77 is a very solid built hunting rifle in my opinion... and I bought my an old tang safety style in 30-06 that shoots groups under an inch, and you can't go wrong with a Remington 700 of any kind. Savage has several models in that price range too. I have no experience with them, but i'm sure someone is going to tell you the Marlin XL7 is worth a look as well. I personally don't care for Browning bolt actions.
  5. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have the Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win. and I feel that it is the best rifle value available without spending 2 or 3 times as much money. Having said that, the other 2 choices on your list are also good rifles. If you can go to a big gun show and handle your 3 choices(plus some others)that would be a good idea. Or if friends or family have them a range day with several rifles might be in order. Savage, Marlin, Mossberg, and some others have very good products and affordable prices as well.
  6. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Of the three mentioned I would go with either the Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 or the Browning A-Bolt, there are also several flavors of the Remington 700 and Savage 110 in that price range as well, you would be well advised to go to a gun store and fondle each of them, and decide which one you like best.
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

you mentioned some great rifles but I would just like to add the new Marlin bolt action rifles are affordable and have gotton some great reviews for performance in the gun magazines as well as this forum.

Best wishes.
  8. FamilyProtector

FamilyProtector G&G Newbie

I was doing the paperwork on a 600 dollar rifle when I saw the savage edge(now called the savage axis) sitting on the shelf for 300. All the other guns I saw in that price range were total garbage, but I had to at least see it. I was surprised at how smooth the bolt felt, and the trigger didnt creep. I actually changed my mind and went with the savage at the last second and I am glad I did. I trimmed the spring on the trigger just a bit to bring it from 6 lbs to about 3 lbs, it feels great. My friends cant believe what I paid for it...and I am shooting 2 inch groupings at about 135 yards. Take a look at it while you are deciding on the others, you might be surprised.
  9. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Savage Axis you say? I don't like it, but that's just my opinion. Stevens 200, or any of the Marlin bolt actions are a better rifle.

As to the OP, my friend just bought one of those Browning A bolts in 30-06. Nice rifle, but I do not like the bolt/action on Brownings at all. They just feel weak.
  10. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I don't have experience with any of those rifles, but I'll throw in another vote for a Tikka T3.
  11. ouch

ouch G&G Newbie

In the hard woods - next to a pond in Missouri
    there are 30 caliber guns available for 300-400 dollars. Look for used. Find one that looks good from a private party.
  12. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I know its not on your list or 30-06 but have you looked into a Finnish M39? You could change the stock for hunting throw a non D&T scope mount and a bent bolt for hunting and then change it back to the military dress for plinking and still keep the total well under the price cap you are looking at. The ammo is pretty close in power so your range wouldnt be limited and good 7.62x54R 203gr SP rounds still cheaper than low end '06 ammo.

Just throwing an idea out there.
  13. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    Of the ones asked about, I vote for the Vanguard.

If you really want the best gun on the market in the $400-600 range you need to get a Marlin XL-7 in 30-06. They're lightweight, more accurate most guns costing 2-3X as much, full of expensive features at an inexpensive price, and are often found for well under $400. The money you save buying the Marlin you can use on a very good scope and still be under $600 total.
  14. bryarx

bryarx G&G Newbie

I haven't shot any of those rifles, and I don't know what your arsenal is made of, but I would suggest checking prices at Wal-mart and compare them, can usually find it cheaper. I love my Rem 700 for what it's worth.
  15. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

As much as I like hunting with a Mosin Nagant I don't think an M39 is the way to go. They will be about $300-$350 and its not drilled and tapped for a scope, and drilling and tapping an M39 is not cool. You would have to pay for a Jmeck mount, then get a bent bolt. An M39 also just isn't the kind of rifle you would bring out for foul weather hunting. For the money a Marlin, Stevens 200 or a Weatherby Vanguard would definitely be the way to go.
  16. BudW

BudW G&G Enthusiast

They have a deal on the Savage edge I would look at
  17. Reinhardt

Reinhardt G&G Newbie

Out of the three you mentioned, I would go with the T.C. the other two are made in Japan. I beleive in buying American made firearms, our economy needs all the help it can get! JMO!
  18. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

I did say non D&T scope mount, bent bolt handle, differant stock and as far as taking it out in bad weather I wouldnt have a 2nd thought about it, that is after all what the rifle was built ot handle, afterwards if you clean it properly oil it no one will never know the differance. I am not fighing with you just trying to clear up any possible confusion.

A lot of people get very wraped up with new weapons so every now and then I throw it out there that there are some very nice old ones out there too that are still within people's budget. Of the three that he listed I like the Weatherby Vangard.
  19. dmsbandit

dmsbandit G&G Newbie

upstate New Yorkistan [the first openly totalitian
    Why anyone would mess around converting any military gun to a hunting gun makes no sense. You can buy a new gun for the same money and have a gun that will do the job much better than any Mosin or Mauser.
  20. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Enthusiast

Like I tell my wife when she asks why I do things, It is simple because we are Americans and we can do that. Look it was just an idea that was a little outside the box.