best scope to mount on a mosin nagant for around $40-80

Discussion in 'Mosin Nagant' started by deerhunter55, Jun 25, 2011.

1. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

hi iam lookin for a good scope to mount on my mosin nagant has to be can a standard scope that will take some serious recoil because i plan to range plink with it and hunt, any would like to have to some type of bdc on it either turrents or crosshair.thanks
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

even the moderate recoil of a mosin will kill alot of cheaper scopes. i would up your scope budget a little .
  3. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

i was looking at the pentax gamseekers 4-12x40 what do you think? its a $180 dollar scope sportsman's guide has them for $69.99
  4. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

i would like to spend about $250 on a russian posp weaver version from kalinka those will not budge, but i just don't have the cash right now!:angryfire: but i have to put a good scope setup before the next month or 2
  5. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

anyone have a better idea?
  6. cooker300

cooker300 G&G Enthusiast

NC star i have one on my mosin and have put 100 rounds down range and its still dead on at 100. i have one of the pistol scoopes i think mine was less than 80 shipped
  7. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Regular

Attached Files:

8. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

thanx for the replies but i need a standard scope to go over the reciver not a scout setup, i am getting one of jmecks side mount scope setups after his prototypes are done, should hear news on that soon, btw has anyone seen any of Osprey international scopes very nice and low cost, comes with flip ups and everything!
  9. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

10. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

Check out Vortex Crossfire and Sightron SI scopes. They are around the $120 price but they have a lifetime warranty, which makes the extra price worth it.
  11. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

A Nikon 3-9x40 Prostaff, several reticals to choose from, great light gathering qualities. You can find them on eBay and gunbroker for around $130-150.
    Its a very good scope for the money.
  12. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

hey jmeck did you happen to get a chance to shoot the new proto-type mount this weekend?:) thanx for the advice on scopes so far everyone!how about the barska huntmaster pro 3-12x50 ir on sportsmans guide has anyone had any good scope from them, i need a decently long range scope at least 6x with over a 40mm bell that will take some recoil for range shootin, when i go i don't shoot 10 shots i shoot 200 rounds and my bidgit is 85 dollars or if jmecks new mount is cheaper more:) pretty please jmeck, hopping to hear from you on the outcome of the new side mount? after i mount my scope i will be able finish my new artice/ turorial on my sporter project because i stock project is close to done, made my self is coming along very well
  13. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

Works real good on a .308 ! This is on a 2A .

Attached Files:

14. WisconsinHunter

WisconsinHunter G&G Newbie

All I gotta say is that usually you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to optics.
  15. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

No testing this weekend, have to make mount parts. A 50mm scope is rather large in diameter for a side mount. A 40mm or less will give you a much better cheekweld as the larger the bells the further away from the rifle the scope has to be to avoid rifle contact. Keep in mind that an average 40mm scope is generally around 47-48mm in overall diameter, 40mm is only the lens size. Happy scope shopping. :)
  16. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

I had a Barska, never will go that route ever again, they cant take too much recoil, the lenses loosen up.

IMO, I like the look of the older Weaver, Lyman, Redfields on the MN. You can find a used one for the price you are looking for, and although they may not be as bright as a new Nikon, they are still very good. Also they usually have 40mm bells or less.
  17. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

blew that up as big as i could and still couldn't make out any thing other than the hello kiity sticker on the gun.

more pics. please? esp if it's a 2a. i have a spot in my heart for them!
  18. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

Here you go !

Attached Files:

19. deerhunter55

deerhunter55 G&G Newbie

thanks for the replies everyone, 40mm or less got it, i think i am down 2 the pentax gameseeker 40mm, and the osprey 40mm, i have heard good things on the pentax and the ospreys are .50 cal bmg recoil tested and have heard good things on those. don't want a reflex sorry, i am long rang shootin
  20. Fat_Cobra

Fat_Cobra G&G Newbie

Check out my girl "Svetlana" compled for under $300 included . oops could not load pics sorry.
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2011