Best Semi auto

Discussion in 'Rimfire Pistol' started by bigdawg77, Mar 25, 2012.

1. bigdawg77

bigdawg77 G&G Newbie

Best semi auto .22lr pistol for the money.

Looking at the Ruger Mark II, Browning Buckmark Camper, M&P .22 and Ruger SR .22.
  2. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Browning Buckmark all the way. Although I dont think you can go wrong with a Ruger Mk. III either.
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

My vote would be with the Ruger of the ones you list above. Mixed reviews on the Browning.

However, if you are open to other models, I have had superb luck with my little S&W 22a! Accurate, fun and reliable. Easy to field strip as well.
  4. bigdawg77

bigdawg77 G&G Newbie

Those are just ones I have found that were not overly expensive/looked like a space ranger gun and didn't have poor review. I like how the Sig feels in my hand but the reviews aren't good.
  5. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

The sig has problems when you use cheap ammo. My dad has one and as long as he uses CCI Stingers or Yellow Jackets it works fine.
  6. Kad Skirata

Kad Skirata G&G Evangelist

Minneapolis, AKA: The liberal pit of Sarlacc
    I love the slab side MkII. I just can't afford one. I will have one as soon as funds, and find intersect. I don't care for the MkIII though. I have not experienced a Buckmark, but heard good things. Recently I picked up a Smith and Wesson 22A and have been loving it. I have put around 1000 rounds through it plinking, and paper slaying. I mostly use Federal Champion bulk, and it shoots them better than mini-mags. The 22A is also a plus for affordability. They all run between $250-$325 with a variety of barrel types, and lengths. It is also much simpler to break down than a Ruger Mk. The MkIII starts at around $300 and goes up from there.
    Also: I owned a Sig Mosquito, and it was horrific. Out of 5 people who shot it, only 1 could get anywhere near acceptable groupings. The trigger is terrible, and probably 90% of the issues result from it. The trigger cannot be replaced. The other 10% of the problem is the sights.
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  7. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

If you find a red eagle Mk 1 Ruger, you might want to snag it. All the others are fine firearms too.
  8. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

I feel that you can't go wrong with any that have been mentioned. I own and I am a fan of my Ruger 22/45 MKIII. For me: accurate/simple/well made and under $300.00.....
  9. Kad Skirata

The only reason I have a dislike for the MkIII is the mag safety, (Which can be removed by using a speed strip conversion kit) and the fact it feels chintzy compared to the solid construction of the MkII. For the price I prefer the 22A over the MkIII. Price not a factor, the MkII hands down.
  10. Sam Ruger

Sam Ruger G&G Newbie

Ruger Mark II

You don't say what you want to use it for. So I'll offer what I use mine for.

Tournament Shooting: No. I don't shoot in tournaments but I have gotten into shooting contests, both times against a S&W. In one, the target was a golfball at 35 yards and, the other, beer bottles at 120 yards. Both my opponents were very, very experienced shooters (so am I). I won both contests (but not by much considering I had adjustable rear sights and a bull barrel). Knowing I should have smoked S&W, I tightened up the Mark II and it will now hit golf balls at 45-50 yards. The "slop" in my barrel came from the factory. I'm told Ruger will fix this if you send them back.

SELF DEFENSE: Although a 22 ranks one step above a CO2 pistol for self defense, my Mark II qualifies. The length of the barrel provides sufficient velocity (1250 FPS) for some (not all) bullet brands to mushroom and the clip can hold 10 rounds (or 12 if you modify it). A vertical "snap out" spring shoulder holster provides both concealability and a quick draw.

SURVIVAL WEAPON: The Ruger Mark II (and the Mark III even more so) represents the ULTIMATE survival weapon regardless of situation (Except it doesn't float :) ). Ranking even higher than it's accuracy is the ability to get low light front sights for it.

Although this is an impressive weapon considering it was based on a cheap Japanese WWII pistol (and not the Luger as often believed) it has one drawback: Disassembly. You don't want to take this pistol apart. It's a bitch. So I don't. I keep the barrel clean and the action oiled. Once, I used brake cleaner on the guts just to how much "black" would run out. Answer - Not much. I've had one jam/misfire in 30 years.
  11. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Ruger

bigdawg77: Sir, as already mentioned Ruger Slabside Mk11 :) with many years of pleasure :)
    My experiences with the others although limited, haven't encouraged me to change firearms
  12. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

The Ruger SR22 is one helluva a .22lr...and I'm not a big Ruger fan so there's no bias.

It is comfortable in the hand, easy to disassemble/re-assemble, will shoot standard velocity ammunition as well as it shoots high velocity, accurate within the '22lr range and is reasonsbly priced.

I bought one to compare with my other .22lr semi-autos and it comes in second only to my S&W 22A-1.

I test fired the SR22 with:
    American Eagle,
    Thunderbolt,
    Winchester Wildcat,
    Centurion,
    Wolf,
    Winchester Super-X,
    Remington 525 (bulk),
    Aguila Supermax Hyper,
    Aguila Match SV,
    Remington milsurp SV.

The only ammunition it did not like is the Aguila Match but it still maintained a 94% cycle rate. I've nearly 1000 rounds through it now...and that's without cleaning it yet.
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2012
  13. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

Smith & Wesson model 41, pricey but a real target pistol!!!
  14. bigdawg77

bigdawg77 G&G Newbie

It would be a range gun to complement my .22 rifle.
  15. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Absolutely!

I totally agree. I've found nothing that out-shoots this one out-of-the-box...that isn't a custom make.

I didn't mention it because it doesn't fit easily into a budget.

Now, I will go into the bedroom, close the door, and quietly kick my butt again for the trillionth time for selling mine.
  16. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I use the Browning Buckmark. I have owned and sold two Ruger MKII and MKIII's... they are too dang hard to clean. The Buckmark is just as accurate and reliable while being supper easy to clean.
  17. Kad Skirata

The insane price is exactly why I omitted the Model 41 as well. I would kill to have one, but I could never justify the price of an FAL for a .22lr handgun. The most I have ever spent on a handgun of any sort was $800 and I nearly had a heart attack forking over that type of dosh for something that is only there to get me to a rifle.
  18. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I really like the Browning and Ruger a lot. I have a lot more experience with the Ruger, so I'm a bit biased. I had a problem field stripping and reassembling the Ruger the first time (like quite a few tend to do) after I taught my self the right way, never a problem again.

The only thing that really concerns me about the Browning is the top strap. It's made of polymer. It looks like there could be a chance where it could get a little chewed up on the rear portion by the slide if conditions were right (wrong tourque on the screw(s) for the top strap. The spring capture seems a little on the cheesy side inside of it as well. All that said, it feels like a dream and is a great shooter.

There is a pretty stiff magazine price difference in the two. Brownings go for about $30, you can get a ruger mag for a spot under 20.

I'd like the opportunity to shoot some of hte other guns they guys are talking about, S&W's etc. Sounds very good.

Attached Files:

19. Kad Skirata

The S&W mag price about splits the difference between the Buckmark, and the Ruger. They tend to run around $25. One of the other nice things about the 22A is you can swap out barrels if desired with no tools.
  20. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

oldjarhead, all he said was the best for the money!!! Even at it's outrageous price ! S&W41!!

Kad Skirata, I could never buy one except I bid on one at an auction about 25 years ago when they only cost around $600-$700. My winning bid was $325! It's even an older "A" serial number with the cocking indicator.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2012