Beware of book being promoted by Oprah

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LiveToShoot, Nov 4, 2009.

1. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Not sure if this has been shared yet I received this in an email thought I would pass it along. Sorry if it is a repeat.

Beware of this book - Oprah is pushing it.

BEWARE!!

If you have children or grandchildren, work with children at church, or you have neighborhood children whose parents you know, please take note of the information below and pass it along to others. Schools are distributing this Book to children through the Scholastic Book Club.

The name of the book is Conversations with God.. James Dobson talked about this book twice this week. It is devastating. Parents, churches and Christian schools need to be aware of it. Please pass this information on to Church/e-mail addresses, Parents, Grandparents, Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, friends.

Please pay special attention not only to what your kids watch on TV, in movie theaters, on the Internet, and the music they listen to, but also be alert regarding the books they read.

Two particular books are, Conversations with God and Conversations with God for Teens, written by Neale D. Walsch. They sound harmless enough by their titles alone. The books have been on the New York Times best sellers list for a number of weeks, and they make truth of the statement, "Don't judge a book by its cover or title."

The author purports to answer various questions asked by kids using the "voice of God". However, the "answers" that he gives are not Bible-based and go against the very infallible word of God.. For instance (and I paraphrase), When a girl asks the question "Why am I a lesbian?" His answer is that she was 'born that way' because of genetics (just as you were born right-handed, with brown eyes, etc.). Then he tells her to go out and "celebrate" her differences.

Another girl poses the question "I am living with my boyfriend. My parents say that I should marry him because I am living in sin. Should I marry him?"

His reply is, "Who are you sinning against? Not me, because you have done nothing wrong."

Another question asks about God's forgiveness of sin. His reply "I do not forgive anyone because there is nothing to forgive. There is no such thing as right or wrong and that is what I have been trying to tell everyone, do not judge people. People have chosen to judge one another and this is wrong, because the rule is "'judge not lest ye be judged."

Not only are these books the false doctrine of the devil, but in some instances quote (in error) the Word of God.

And the list goes on. These books (and others like it) are being sold to schoolchildren through (The Scholastic Book Club) , and we need to be aware of what is being fed to our children.

The children of our nation are under attack. So I pray that you be sober and vigilant about teaching your children the Word of God, and guarding their exposure to worldly mediums, because our adversary, the devil, roams about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour (1 Peter 5:[​IMG]. We know that lions usually hunt for the slowest, weakest and YOUNGEST of its prey.

Pass this on to every Believer you know.. And, if you are in doubt, check out the books yourself.
  2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

That book won't be on my 11 yr. old daughters reading list.
  3. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

Definetely not proper reading material for a younger person. I believe in the authors rights to publish his views but this type of reading needs to be taken for what it is. One mans point of view and not the answers to a childs questions. I do'nt like the misleading title either. I have never read or watched anything Oprah has done. She has here following but I do not know of anything in her background that qualifies her as someone who should be recomending reading material.

Michael
  4. dance.and.shoot

dance.and.shoot G&G Newbie

The only reason i'd ever buy that book is because I can't find any firewood...it's a piece of crap!
  5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Sounds like there democrates.
  6. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

Our public schools aren't distributing religious materials. Where is it that Ophrah is actually distributing this reading material? School districts?
  7. petrol

petrol G&G Newbie

That God cannot lie, is no advantage to your argument, because it is no proof that priests can not, or that the Bible does not.
    Thomas Paine

expand that to include hack writers, televangelists, and weird families of lawyers who boycott troops funerals.

As long as you are aware that GOD doesn't write books, you should be fine.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  8. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Who cares?
  9. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

If you want to read about 'conversations with God' try opening a bible instead of listening to that idiot Oprah! That's the problem with people these days...
  10. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

Amen!

Michael
  11. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

God Cares...Even for Non-Believers !
  12. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

Just bears out a theory I have. If oprah ny times promote it, leave it alone.
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Actually,

this strikes me as books custom designed to fit Oprah's well known viewpoints thus positioning the books for support by Oprah.

Oprah may be many things but she is not God's spokesperson and she is definitely not a Christian theologan.

I recently heard her say on her show that the deceased become angels.
    Mmmm - that is just not Biblical. It is, however, Oprah playing to
    the wants of the audience.
  14. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Everybody's God is different. Who says that the God in the book is a Christian God?
  15. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Enthusiast

I don't really care if Oprah is promoting this book or any other book.I don't listen to anything she has to say.Why should I?She has promoted another book(can't remember the title) before and it turned out to be a made up story when the guy who wrote it said it was true.
  16. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    good point
  17. Marine4TheKing

Marine4TheKing G&G Newbie

I think that by referencing the Bible, Thier refering to a "Christian God".
  18. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

I just thought she was pushing it because they paid her to. Never listened to her because of publicity about her & her support for liberals. Didn't realize she actually believed that bilge water. She's even more ignorant than I thought.
  19. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

In response to Dobson's request, Scholastic, Inc., agreed to stop distributing the books to Christian schools, but still sells them through other avenues. The book remains acclaimed for its frank discussions of some very tough subjects. As for the letter above, it's nothing more than an anonymous author's interpretation of Dobson's arguments, passed off as the work of the doctor himself. In short, it is a fraud and its origins call into question all of its claims. Break this chain. References: Focus on the Family
  20. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Methinks the author of that book has a big surprise in store after he passes away, when he gets to the Pearly Gates, gets a stern talking to by God, and is handed his E-ticket to the sub-basement....... Pack for a 'dry heat', dude! :saevil: