Big black cats in ga.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by hickorynutk@win, Aug 14, 2009.

1. hickorynutk@win

hickorynutk@win G&G Newbie

About a month and a half ago my wife and I were on the way over to a friends house about 12 miles from our house in Marion Co. about an hour before sunset. As we were driving down a dirt rode I saw something jump the road about 70 yards. in front of us. Being a deer hunter I've always got an eye out for furry stuff as I drive. When I saw it the first thing my mind said was deer, but as the eye image was prossesed I realized I was looking at a large black cat. No not a fat house cat cuz it cleared the road from bank to bank in a single bound, never touching the roadbed. The next day I called DNR to report it and was told that Ga. dosen't have any population of panthers although my call was the second call that day, the other coming from far SE Ga. and they get calls all the time, but without a picture or some kind of positive ID they don't count.
    After telling the story to a number of people I heard stories from at least 4 others that had sightings in our area over the last 10 years or so. Any body else see any of these non-existing cats?
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I was watching Monster Quest a couple of weeks ago and they had a show about Big Black Cats here in North America. They even had a guy in North or South Carolina that video taped one. It will take someone shooting one or one getting hit by a car to confirm that they do exist.
  3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

some of my neighbors have seen the big black cats too.

about 5 years ago early a.m. the wife was getting a cup of coffee, looking out the kitchen window she saw a puma crossing the back yard with one of our ducks in its mouth!!!

so i called KY Wildlife to report it, the brain on the other end said Ky has no big cats, and if it was it was an illegal pet that escaped or turned loose:34:

i did ask if we see it again can i shoot it? he say only if its threatening livestock or people. well the ducks disappeared that year...one at a time.
  4. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

There are plenty of them in Dodge County. The local game wardens will tell you they "aren't here", but "if you kill one you will be prosecuted". My question was, "how can you be prosecuted for killing something that doesn't exist". They laughed and said "do it and you'll find out".
  5. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Just shoot them anyway if there a threat. I surely would !!! If I had a Duck and one of them Panthers got it I'd be gitting even !!!! Ain't NO dang Panther gonna be eat'in my pet Duck and get away with it !!! KA-BOOM NO CAT...A.H
  6. Annie Oakleaf

Annie Oakleaf G&G Newbie

There's been a good many people down here in Brooks Co. that's seen them. I've also heard that folks have gotten em on game cameras too.
  7. 2dogs

2dogs G&G Newbie

I just heard of some guys down in Talbot county in middle georgia who captured several pictures of a large cat on one of their trail cameras....SEMPER FI:unitedstates:
  8. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

They're cougers, mountain lions all the same to me and you but black. As my dad says "there used to be tons of the things around before the damned pilgrims got here and shot anything that moved." I would suppose that in the more rural areas back east they would be making a comeback and just like in every other case in animals changing their diet to suit the environment they inhabit. I was watching it on the History Channel and about half of the biologists studying these "rare black cats" are saying that they are genetic rarities like what would happen with two chocolate labs having one or 2 of their pups be a yellow colored puppy. My opinion? I'm sure its either a comeback of the almost extinct "Nitney Lions" or Black Panthers or a genetic rarity what would now be a genetic 50/50.
  9. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Regular

We got em in Murphy N.C. Wife saw f/male with cubs at our spring. One launched me out of the tub about 2:00 am with a scream outside.
  10. Clyde

Clyde G&G Newbie

The big Black cats are chasing the over sized pigs that are running around in Ga.
  11. Clyde

Clyde G&G Newbie

Are razorbacks consider PIGS?
  12. G. Green

G. Green G&G Newbie

Don't know about black ones, but big cats are out there in more places than people realize. Official response to a reported sighting is usually about the same as if you'd reported a UFO. (had a big cat hit by a train here in Oklahoma a few years ago, yes a train)
  13. Thrawn

Thrawn G&G Newbie

Seen 'em twice, once back in '97 going down HWY.32 around the Thalman area with my parents and the second time while I was driving along the same highway in '04 a few miles east of Hortense. Both times @ night. Ive seen the monsterquest show too, and until then I never really put much thought into the sightings except as "interesting".
  14. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

GON.com - Wild Panther Confirmed in Georgia - Georgia Outdoor News I wonder how many more times this will happen before they decide it isn't a fluke.
  15. blueice

blueice G&G Newbie

Please do not shoot the big cats....:hail:

Just tell them you are from PETA...:dead1:

Click image to enlarge.....

Attached Files:

16. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

Odd that we keep hearing about black ones while all the known mountain lions/cougars are tan. Black jaguars are fairly common and those big cats have been known to wander from Mexico up into the border states and as far east as SW Louisiana. Maybe they might be more widespread than has been proven.
  17. knotjammin2

knotjammin2 G&G Newbie

Panther siting

I believe that he saw a panther. I do a lot of whitewater kayaking and backpacking up on the Chattooga River and try to stay up on everything that goes on up there. This area is the far north eastern part of Georgia. Here is a link to a story about a Forestry Service worker that saw a Black Panther.

Big cats sighted, but DNR still wants proof» Anderson Independent Mail
  18. rockman7

rockman7 G&G Enthusiast

i wonder why dnr told my youngest brother to keep thier animals inside as they put out live traps around his home after half a dozen sightings about a black cat if they don't exists here?

also tell my business/hunting partner the critter he saw in a cotton patch that growled and screamed at him was only a household kitty.
  19. hickorynutk@win

hickorynutk@win G&G Newbie

If you ever got the chance to shoot one they would have a hard time charging you with anything since they don't exist! You could always claim you thought it was a large wild house cat that just looked bigger through a scope.
  20. wonderfvl

wonderfvl G&G Newbie

First post here! I joined this forum not only because I enjoy firearms, but because I saw one of these cats last month and had to comment. I'm not a hunter, but would not hesitate to shoot one of these if it threatened me.
    I live in Atlanta, but was visiting relatives about 80 miles NE of Atlanta, the outskirts of Athens, GA. Leaving their house around dusk, my head lights caught a large black cat. It immediately did a 180 degree turn and was gone. My immediate reaction was "my God, a black panther". Then I'm like 'that's crazy, there's no black panther's in Georgia.' I just thought that my eyes played tricks on me and that huge cat was just a neighbor's large house cat. I've not given it much thought till I ran across this forum doing an unrelated search. Just reading some of these events, and writing about my sighting gives me the chills.