Black Powder Revolver Repros, etc

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by vodkazombie, Mar 30, 2002.

1. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Wanted to start another thread about shooting and enjoying the various blackpowder revolver reproductions that are out there.

I own several, and am showing my small collection here. Of everything, the funnest to shoot is the '47 Walker.

Pictured from top to bottom are my brace of '51 Navy's, the 1847 Walker, the '58 New Model Remington Army, and an 1860 Colt Army. These are all italian made repros, with the exception of the '60 Colt, which is a belgian copy. The Navies were made by Pietta, and were very reasonably priced. I've read good and bad about Pietta; guess I got lucky!They shoot very well, and although they did require some minor adjustments (a light dehorning here and there) they were well worth the money. Next down is the '47 Walker.

This was a very poor specimen when I acquired it.

Apparently, it was one of the earlier reproduction importations. And it was dry fired OVER AND OVER AND OVER until the nipples were smashed, chipped, pancaked.. so bad that even a MUSKET cap wouldn't fit on most of them! It required a lot of TLC, and now it is nearly finished. It's a shooter now, needs a good hotblue.

The next item is a very well made repro of the '58 Remington. This is the most accurate repro I own(after the Ruger Old Army). It shoots where I aim it, and I get pie plate accuracy at 25 meters shooting offhand.

The last was a rust bucket when I bought it from a pawn shop. I mean, really looked bad and paid 40 bucks for it. I sent this one out to have hot-blued, and it's now a shooter.

Not pictured is a Ruger Old Army. I consider this to be the finest, most accurate blackpowder revolver bar-none. It shoots everything well, conicals and balls.

Anyone else out there shoot repro black powder revolvers?
  2. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

Some time ago, I bought a used '58 Remington repro(Lipietta), and let it sit for a couple of years. I finally got out and shot it a few weeks ago. What a blast. First time I had shot black powder in over 20 yrs. I'm hooked! The fellow nxt to me at the range had apparently never seen black powder firearms in action. He had gone through 3 mags in the time I took to load my first cylinder, but the look on his face when I touched off the first round was really hilarious. I'm shooting it regularly, now. Can't wait to get a rifle to go along with it. And I've always wanted a Walker Colt. Do you have any trouble with the loading lever dropping when you fire yours? I'm planning on adding a Zouave rifle next to my collection. Then the Walker. And I've always wanted a Remington revolving carbine. I tried so hard to talk my father into one when I was 12, only $70, and in mint condition. I hate to think what it would be worth today. Oh well, ve grow zo soon olt, unt zo late shmart. I'm loading some 45 Colt with black powder for the next weekend. Have you tried black powder cartridge? I'll let you know what I think of it as soon as I get out to the range again. Enjoy!
  3. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Hey, I was wondering when someone was going to reply to this!

I have an R&D drop in conversion cylinder for the '58 Remington. I have loaded .45 LC for it with blackpowder, and it is an excellent shooter.

The Walker uses a Paterson style loading lever, and has dropped a few times, but usually just short of engaging a cylinder. I'm going to purchase a 3rd Model Dragoon and retire the Walker soon.

I love the '63 Zouave, by the way. Just stay away from hard-alloy minies, it seems that every gunshop on the east coast has some back yard lead pot they melt down wheel weights with to make minies. I have found the '63 Zouave to be a good roundball shooter, too. .562 patched with a lubed .15 patch works really well. Use only pure lead roundballs!!!

Colt revolving rifle? Wow. Those things were neat, weren't they in .62 or .64 caliber? They also had a nasty reputation for blowing off fingers when the chambers cross detonated. I think this is probably a myth blown out of proportion. In all the years of shooting, I have never had a cross detonation. Not once. Nor have I seen one. I know it's POSSIBLE... but with a wonderwad over the powder and navy arms revolver seal on top of the roundball, that ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

thanks for the reply. lets get some of these other fellas talking about this!
  4. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

Ooops, my bad, you said Remington Rifle, the cattlemen's carbine, I assume? I've seen them, never fired one, though.
  5. Michael M

Michael M G&G Newbie

Yeah, the cattleman carbine. I've seen a few Colt revolving shotguns at shows lately, and one of which I can't remember the maker that had an enclosed cylinder, like a sleeve over the entire receiver. Wish I had asked just how the thing worked. I do know a fellow who did get a chain fire the first time he fired his Colt repro. Didn't know he was supposed to seal the chambers. This was around 1978, and I don't know if wads were around for pistols at the time. It didn't do any damage other than to his nerves, but he did eventually get back and try again, this time with plenty of Crisco! I plan to pick up the Zouave next month, after my tax refund shows up. I've always admired the looks of this rifle, and thought it would be an interesting step into muzzle loading rifles.
  6. vodkazombie

vodkazombie G&G Newbie

I've found that the Navy Arms Revolver sealant/Shotgun sealer (it's the same stuff) works a lot better than crisco.

I'm going out this weekend to do some BP shooting. I'll be hitting the local gunshows over the next few weeks to look for my next project. I'd like a flinter rifle in .45 to build.
  7. pappa

pappa G&G Newbie

Sounds like I need to join you guys and start firing the Armi San Marco Walker I bought several years ago. I had heard so many horror stories about corrosion that I just didn't want to mess up my pretty new gun. I wonder if anyone has taken a deer with the Walker? What size .44 ball are you using? I notice there are several sizes, varying by a few thousandths.
    How much FFFg are you'all using in yours?
    I have a LLPietta Russian marked 1851 also from Navy Arms. Haven't fired it either. I love the looks of BP guns and 1800's military SP weapons. TIA
  8. Doug

Doug G&G Newbie

New to Black Powder

I recently purchased an 1858 Remington .44 Revolver (Repro). Im new to black powder, and am looking for anyone in the Palm Beach County, Florida area for some "hands on" instruction with this gun. Would like to learn the basics before I start shooting on my own. If you can help me, I'd appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
  9. Dixie Slugs

Dixie Slugs G&G Newbie

Last summer I traded/bought a new Uberti Remington 1858 Carbine. After replacing the nipples with Ampco and changing the rear sight to a Marlin flip down, I started testing loads. My final load is 25.5 grs of 777, an oxyoke wad over powder, Johnson's wax over a .454" Speer pure lead RB. This load will group inside of 4" at 50 yards with my old eyes. I killed one nice hog this year with it during black powder season. Just keep your left hand back on the trigger guard extension!........James
  10. allan1898

allan1898 G&G Newbie

That's great. I'd like to try pig hunting, but keep putting it off. I have had some roast, and wild pig is excellent. The Remington carbine is on my list of must haves soon, but work is a little flaky right now, so maybe later than sooner. I do like the Zouave, though. But I use minie bullets, Lee mold. They come out right at 500 grs and .575 o d.One of the fellows at work gave me the drops from a job, about 60 lbs of lead. I have to hack saw the mess to useable size first, but the results are worth it. I guess I could set up a slitting saw on the mill one day when I'm not busy. But then what would I do when watching the boob tube? My next project will be combustible paper cartridges for an 1858 Sharps replica. Haven't fired the thing yet, and hope to have time soon. Right now I'm playing nurse for my ex. I thought I had committed to a week, but looks more like a month! Soon as she gets back on her feet, I will get on with my hobbies.
  11. Doug

Doug G&G Newbie

What size Percussion Cap?

What size Percussion Cap do I need for the 1858 Remington .44 Revolver (Pietta)? The manual that came with the revolver didnt specify. Its either a #10 or #11. Thanks
  12. allan1898

allan1898 G&G Newbie

I've been using #11, but have to pinch them closed a bit to keep them on. There weren't any #10 around at the shops I frequent, but I will try a can as soon as I see them. With my luck they will be too small! And my Pietta did specify #11, both the Remington and Colt Navy replicas, as I recall. But then my rememberer doesn't work as well as it used to do. #11's work fine, but pinch them a bit closed so they fit on tighter.
  13. Gary

Gary G&G Newbie

Anti Chain Firing Grease

I've owned a Uberti 1858 Remington for a couple of years and really enjoy shooting it. One of my local gun shops reccomended vegetable grease to prevent chain firing and it's all i've ever used. After firing the gun, if it's a few hours before I get home to clean it, the combination of this grease and black powder turns into something like black concrete. Very difficult to clean. Does anyone have suggestions on something better than this grease i'm using.
  14. Dixie Slugs

Dixie Slugs G&G Newbie

After shooting/hunting with percussion revolvers, both original and repros, for many years there are some thoughts.........never use petro products as bullet/ball lube, use Bore Butter over balls/conicals, the best powder so far is fffg Triple 7 (if you are not going to use black), use swaged pure lead balls or pure lead cast conicals, get some Ampco nipples from Track of the Wolf, Lap barrel with Flitz on a tight patch, get the little plastic tubes that go over the caps & down on the nipples to reduce cap frag and reduce possible blowby causing chain fire, and last....use Oxyoke wads between powder and ball.
    I am hunting with a Uberti Remington 1858 Carbine now and have killed one nice hog with it...........James@Dixie Slugs
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  15. Gary

Gary G&G Newbie

1858 Remington

James, Thanks for all of the good information, I will take your advice, especially on the powder. I've thought for a long time that I should try something besides black powder. One more question, if you don't mind. I've been looking at .45 Colt cartridge cylinders and was leaning toward the gated cylinder. It looks like it would be handier to use. Thanks
  16. allan1898

allan1898 G&G Newbie

Gary, for cleaning try Windex with vinegar. NOT ammonia, but the "multi-surface with vinegar." I saw this in books by Mike Veturino, and I have used it myself. It really works. The gunk just melts away. I keep it and a spray can of oil in my range bag along with a few rags. And I still use vegtetable shortening. It takes me less than 15 minutes to clean my pistols, and not much more for the rifles.
  17. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I also have a 47 Walker repro and a 58 colt at the house great guns and fun to shoot - 60grains of FFFg with a 122gr ball is just amazing.
  18. Dennis

Dennis G&G Enthusiast

I just bought a 1847 walker (uberti)
    brought it home today
    gonna shoot it sunday I hope.
  19. Smokin_Gun

Smokin_Gun G&G Newbie

Yes Gary... Young Country Lube 103, TC Natural lube 1000, Tollow and Beeswax or parafin wax. Or any non-petroleum base product. Use scalding hot water and dishsoap to clean. Soak and scrub,rinse in scalding water. The hot metal helps dry itself as you wipe it down. You may wanna wipe it with a gun oil rag.
  20. Smokin_Gun

Smokin_Gun G&G Newbie

Please don't put vinegar on your Bluing that's what they use to age shing blue gunes to make them look old. It's a kitchen antiquing process