brass cleaning media

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by squirrelly, May 22, 2011.

1. squirrelly

squirrelly G&G Newbie

Ok iknow the best media is going to be walnut or corn cob but has anyone ever used saw dust to clean there brass and if so dos it work.
  2. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

I use lizard bedding. $5 for a 10 lb bag that has lasted me almost two years. I throw some Flitz metal polish in with it and they come out bright and shiny.
  3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you could try sawdust, but i'd give a 99.99% chance that it will not work.
  4. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I've found a 50/50 mix of Walnut and corn cob media with 3 to 4 capfuls of Dillon;'s brass polish works just fine.

If like in this case if the way people have been doing it and what they've been using to do it works, don't fix what aint broken. lol
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I tried Rice , grits, corn meal, and silica sand, never tried sawdust but it would be a pain to get out of Bottleneck cases. So, I went back to Corn cob and Ground walnut shells as they work the best....
  6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I took the advice of guys on here and bought some 14/20 corn cob blasting media. I put Turtle Wax compounding polish in the mix. Works great and does not get stuck in bottle neck cases. 40 pounds of the stuff cost me 30 bucks shipped. Still got a bunch left even after dividing with my friends.
  7. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Saw dust may or may not work. My biggest concern would be any nautural or man made chemicals in the wood that may negatively interact with the brass. Least case, it makes it look not so good. Worst case, something chemically ruins the structural integrity of the brass. Also, wood is pretty much hygroscopic sucking up moisture like a sponge. As a plus, there are good recommendations above for alternatives.
  8. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

My money says no, sawdust won't work worth diddly. Too fine, too soft, not abrasive enough. Might work for polishing brass that's already cleaned, but not for cleaning and polishing dirty brass.

Try it, then come and announce your results! Bring photos.
  9. squirrelly

squirrelly G&G Newbie

well i tried it in the sawdust because that was all i had on hand.well it came out allot shinier than when it went in.i used some surplus 8mm mouser and 7.62x39 i had lieing around just to see if would work before useing the brass im going to reload.i took some pics but dont know if they show the difference or not.pic on the left is after the tumbling and the right is before.

Attached Files:

• new.JPG
      new.JPG
      File size:
      1.3 MB
      Views:
    • old.JPG
      old.JPG
      File size:
      1.2 MB
      Views:
  10. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Apparently clean enough to run through a set of dies without scratching them up.
  11. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Go figure. lol But I'll still stick to my 50/50 mix as mentioned in my previous post.
  12. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I accidently mixed some walnut and corncob a while back. it has become my favorite media ever since. the stuff works excellent.
  13. trigger

trigger G&G Enthusiast

As a wood man for over 35 yrs. I would think a DRY hard wood shavings/dust would be fine. DO NOT use a soft wood like pine/ soft maple etc. They contain to much tar/pitch/sap. I may try some oak/ash/walnut just to try. Besides, I have more than I can eat
  14. Romey

Romey G&G Regular

Best media I have found is treated Lyman. 15$ jug has lasted several years of tumbling several thousand rounds per year. Infact last year I know I ran and hence tumbled above 15,000 .45 cases alone which isnt counting several other calibers of pistol and rifle.