British poll ranks Michael Jackson #4 among most admired celebrities, Jesus #123

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Beckham Is No 1 Hero to Young People - But Jesus Is 123

By John von Radowitz, Science Correspondent, PA News

Jesus scored only a handful of votes – the same number as US President George W Bush – in a survey of young Britons’ heroes, it was revealed today.

They came 123rd – near the bottom of a list topped by soccer celebrity David Beckham, Hollywood heart-throb Brad Pitt and pop star Justin Timberlake.

Prime Minister Tony Blair shared 69th place with master illusionist David Blaine.

Psychologists asked more than 2,500 young people aged between 16 and 24 to nominate the individuals they most admired.

They were given the opportunity to choose great political thinkers, artists and religious leaders as well as men and women whose faces regularly appear on TV and in glossy magazines.

But the vast majority still opted for sport and showbiz celebrities. Beckham was number one, polling 132 votes, followed by Brad Pitt with 60 and Justin Timberlake with 58.

Next in the top 10 were Michael Jackson, with 46 votes, Jennifer Lopez (45), Robbie Williams (44), Orlando Bloom (41), Britney Spears (36), Keanu Reeves (35) and Angelina Jolie (30).

Study leader Dr Adrian North, from the University of Leicester, said: “Although people could have voted for great political thinkers or artists, their top 10 comprised Hollywood stars, pop musicians and a footballer.

“They went for people with nothing much to say but who look good.

“It’s slightly depressing really. What links all the names in our top 10 is not their great minds but their great looks.â€

He thought this was not particularly surprising when young people were continually bombarded with powerful media images that emphasise beauty and youth.

Previous research has shown that highly attractive people are generally thought of more positively than those perceived as less attractive.

One study demonstrated that the tallest candidates tend to win American presidential elections.

Jesus was the most popular religious leader, but still drew only a handful of votes and was ranked alongside President Bush.

“I’ve absolutely no idea what’s happening there,†said Dr North.

“You could say we are a less religious society than we used to be, but if people still believed in big ideas you’d expect the block vote to switch from religious to political leaders. However, that hasn’t happened.â€

He did not think there was any special significance to the fact that Tony Blair and David Blaine were equal in the poll.

But he joked: “The Hutton report next week will really tell us who is the true master of escapology.â€

The poll was conducted via a web site publicised in schools and universities throughout the UK.

Acting, music, sport and TV were the four top categories from which voters chose their heroes.

Art, at number 13 on the list, came after science and religion.

Dr North is now extending the survey worldwide. Anyone wanting to take part can log on to the web site www.celebritystudy.com.
  2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Thats why Brits have such bad teeth and crappy food...their being punished by God....:D
  3. Sniper[MI]

Sniper[MI] G&G Newbie

And ya wonder why the English are screwed up?

I'd like to see that poll conducted here, with the empty headed useless wastes of breathable air that abound in our society...
  4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

probably same results, but we got more waste of genetic material than they do:eek:
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Considering the pollees . . .

it's a sign of the times. Vacuous airheads tend to favor other vacuous airheads. ;)
  6. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    Yep a sad situation for sure. Sniper is right, we (Americans) wouldn't do any better. I've come to the conclusion that Western Civilization (interms of culture) is headed for the toilet, if we're not already in it. We've dumbed down to the point kids don't know anybody to look up to execpt the "current" sports/showbiz stars.

I wonder how many American kids of the same age range as the Brits could identify 10 or more famous Americans (or famous anybodies) and why they were important to American/world history?
  7. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

If it was about celebrities, and it was a write in, they may not have thought Jesus was an option.
  8. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

What no Martin Luther (not King).......no H. Ross Perot......no Bill Gates....no Reginald Clark......hmm...I'm running out of off the all names.

Tom Seaver, Alex P. Keaton? Help me out here.....LOL
  9. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

I looked in the shed....

....ahhh,success,I found several hand baskets.;)
  10. Despoiler

Despoiler G&G Newbie

Come on lets be serious now I really don’t care what 16 to 24 year olds thinks. I don’t think I really started to understand the world in a realistic way till I hit 24.
    Besides if they like him so much I vote for sending Michael over there, and let them deal with the little freak…
  11. Rufus Rhastus J

Rufus Rhastus J Senior Member

West, Central Florida, Third World America
    Re: I looked in the shed....

:cool: hey, may i borrow a hand basket? I have so little respect and faith in the next generation, i think we better get ready for the ride.:nod:
  12. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Re: I looked in the shed....

its a start, maybe you could corner the market, than retire in luxury to you own Caribean isle:D
  13. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Yes Rufus Rastus Jr.

You may have one of my handbaskets,I will see that you get it so we will both have one when the ride starts.:nod: