Brown Bear and Silver Bear ammo

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by Pred, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Pred

Pred Suspended

Ok, so whats the difference between the two? I'm doing some price checks on ammo, and see I can get a 700 round tin for $129.97(Brown Bear) and 500 rounds of Silver Bear for $89.97.
  2. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

if i'm not mistakin silver bear is silver casings and brown bear is brass casing's i have a case of silver bear and the caseings are silver and i seen a case of brown bear and the casings were brass. hope this helps
  3. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

both are good ammo though. i can only think of cosmetic reasons just like tommy. they both come it different grains too. not sure though.
  4. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

The Brown Bear ammo that I've bought was a laquered steel case and the Silver Bear was zinc plated.. I've also had Golden Bear ammo, which is brass plated.

I have a couple boxes of Silver Bear that's nickle plated.. Don't have any idea why some Silver Bear would zinc and other would be nickle.. :confused:

I've found it shoots better in my Yugo SKS than Wolf. It cuts my groups in half, for the most part, but each gun will be different..
  5. Teakwood

Teakwood G&G Newbie

6. Paper

They don't even mention the nickle plated cases, yet my boxes of Silver Bear say nickle plated on the lable.. :confused:
  7. Teakwood

Teakwood G&G Newbie

You have to poke around a little:

Silver Bear Pistol Ammunition
    "This high quality ammo features distinctive nickel plating on the
    cartridge case; hence the “Silverâ€￾ Bear name."

Brown Bear Pistol Ammunition
    "This high quality ammo features lacquered steel case construction; hence the
    “Brownâ€￾ Bear name."

Golden Bear Pistol Ammunition
    "Distinctly different than anything else on the market, Golden Bear's name describes it's color but not its' unique construction; in which a brass coating encases the steel case."
  8. Paper

Yeah, but my nickle plated stuff is 7.62x39 rifle ammo.. And I have other 7.62x39 zinc plated ammo, also.. That's the part I'm wondering about.

Same caliber ammo, same name, different plating..
  9. TDBARSTOW

TDBARSTOW G&G Newbie

JUST JOINED. READING YOUR POST. WHERE CAN YOU GET THIS AMMO SOLD OUT EVERYWHERE. ONE THING WITH LAC COATED MAY GET HOT AND JAM IN GUN.
  10. TDBARSTOW

TDBARSTOW G&G Newbie

NEED 223 AMMO BAD ANY IDEAS.
  11. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

the only ones who ever have problems with a jamming gun are the ones who don't clean their gun!!!! i have been useing wolf/brown bear golden bear/silver bear and anything i can find to shoot through it but i clean it after .

12. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

cleaning your gun should be as natural as taking a shower if you want it to go bang everytime and not jam on you.
  13. Sprout47

Sprout47 G&G Newbie

Cleaning? What is that? I use an AK :p

j/k
    Just cleaned mine out today as a matter of fact ;)
  14. Paper

AIM .223 .223

AIM has Wolf, Brown and Silver Bear .223 ammo on hand right now..You'll need to be patient because they're 3 weeks behind on shipping, which they'll inform you when you place the order.

They've also got AK/SKS ammo, but it's brass and a bit more pricey than Wolf/Bear ammo.
  15. Montana_Mauser

Montana_Mauser Suspended

...I've cleaned my SKS once and it has never malfunctioned.
  16. mtncrash1

mtncrash1 G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Sportsmans Guide has 223 for $134. 500 rds 3 to 7 day shipping. Mine got here in 4 days.
  17. joeman169

joeman169 G&G Newbie

cant clean our guns?

bullcrap, everyone i have every met has problems with that laquer coated crap. I get jams every time i shoot, it is very sporadic and you never know when, but it happens. Usually at the worst time... Like when I need to shoot again at that deer. Or Im at the range being embarrassed because I cant clear my round.
    Just love it when they treat you like a 4 year old and think you have a live round in there too.... but rubber mallet or piece of wood and a firm wack always fixes it. I have heard that people remove the laquer from those coated shells before they shoot sometimes... Just a thought, you might want to try that.
    Dont insult everyones intelligence by saying we cant clean our guns.
  18. Enscribe

Enscribe G&G Newbie

You've just met a whole forum of people that feed Russian ammo constantly and never have probs. Maybe next time you can consider your 1 post as the wrong time to try and start an argument.

It has been proven by the BOX O Truth that the lacquer does not melt under the heat of a blowtorch, your gun doesn't get that hot. Don't buy it and leave more for the rest of us. If your having jam problems its a prob with your gun, especially if your having jams in an AK platform.
  19. imarangemaster

imarangemaster G&G Regular

Silver and Brown Bear

+1 to what Enscribe said. I have shot thousands of rounds of both in 223 and 7.62x39. Zero problems. Some with Wolf 223, but that was accuracy issues and failures to feed in an M4gery because of light loads. SIlver and Brown Bear tend to be more accurate than Wolf in my experience.
  20. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I've never had a problem with lacquer coated casings either. In fact, my Golden Tiger shoots better than my Silver Bear and Wolf.