Building a Custom off a Model 70 -long action

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by myarmor, Dec 16, 2005.

1. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I just recently stumbled on an awesome deal on a brand new Winchester Model 70 in 270. I was thinking about pirating the action later down the road and building off of it. I am mostly a Target man myself, so this one would be for that purpose. I was looking for some opinions and advice on a few things:
    -1st..Caliber. Not real sure what caliber to go with. I don't know what long action caliber would be the best for me personally.Though I admit,I still like my -06's.
    If this where your project what caliber would you build it in and why?
    -2nd..Barrel. I would be buying a Bull Barrel if I do this project. Not sure which brand to go with though, Douglas, Hert, Lilja-nice but a little $$ for me, though I know they are worth it.
    -3rd..Trigger?
    -4th..Stock. I love the Choate so I will probably go this route.
    -5th..Blue printing? Will Winchester blue print an action?
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

if you intend to build a target rifle, and spend money getting the action right, a good barrel, and good trigger, then dont waste your money on a chaote stock- it would be seriously counterproductive. no winchester will not bluprint an action for you, you need to find a good custom smith.
  3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I've found a stock trigger on an older Win M70 to be excellent. Not sure if it was smithed, but it looked stock to me.

If you want to build a target rifle, I'd suggest picking a round for which ammo is available that would make the best use of your rifle. Of course being a long action would open up other possibilities too.

My suggestion, and this would basically be customizing vicariously, would be 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser. Decent and affordable non-corrosive surplus ammo is available, and modern ammo isn't that expensive either.

Of course 30-06 isn't a bad idea either. Federal makes match ammo for it. And of course there's reloading.

But yeah, if you want my opinion, a target rifle in 6.5 Swede is a good use of a long action Winchester.
  4. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Well I haven't actually heard many bad things about the EDIT-Choate Sniper/Varmint Stocks. Sounds like there is something I don't kow about????

And I didn't think Winchester did the blue printing for an action. But I didn't know for sure.

As for caliber, I too thought about the 6.5 Swede. An excellent caliber with lots of proven matches been won in this caliber. Awesome BCs from such long narrow bullets too.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  5. BattleRifleG3

Figure if you want a long action target rifle, the Swede would be a great choice, since most target rifles are short action and whose higher power rounds would be the expensive and high barrel wear short magnums.
  6. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Anyone else here build off a Model 70 action?
  7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i also would not put a hogue stock on a gun that i wanted a high degree of accuracy out of. i would look at HS Precision for a decent stock, followed by McMillan. a rifles stock has a lot to do with a rifles accuracy and ease of shooting it. a good barrel also helps, Lilja, Hart, Shilen, Krieger, and Douglas all have excellent reputations. also to get great accuracy out of the rifle, you are most likely going to need to handload, most surplus or factory ammo is good for plinking, not match grade accuracy.
  8. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

I do plan on hand loading for the caliber which would be chosen. Though I still am open to ideas on a caliber...
    It's my fault for not being able to check out the H.S. stocks in person. I have -of course- seen them around for a long time, though I haven't been able to check them out in person. I know their bedding is incredibly solid, and they are VERY well built..
    Caliber is still very much up in the air. I would love a custom built 6.5x55 Swede, though I feel that If I did that, I would rather do it on a Rem 700 Action. So in a way I still lean towards the o'l reliable 30-06.
  9. BattleRifleG3

If I wanted maximum reliability in a good old cartridge, I'd leave it as it is. You're looking to make it a target rifle, so give it the best you can! BTW, not all surplus ammo is the same. 7.5 Swiss and 6.5 Swede is all very high crade and non-corrossive. Way better than new production steel cased Wolf and other quality but not match ammo.
  10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

look at the 6.5-284, it'll most anything you desire. i dont care who's surplus ammo you find, it will not shoot with my hand loads, and that relegates it to plinking ammo.