Building an AR15/M16/M4

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Bravo, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Hiyah guys,

I'm starting to become more and more intrigued by these weapons, and am starting to consider building one myself.

The Problem: I know nothing of the parts that it requires to build them, nor do I know which are compatible with what...

I was wondering if you guys could give me a few links to some good sites that sell these Upper/Lower parts (I'm assuming there is more to the gun than an upper and lower...but I don't know).
    Also, I was wondering if you guys could give me a price range on what these can cost (min - max).
    Lastly...and this may make a few of you frown, but I'm sort of interested in the 6.8SPC cartridge, but love the M4 design. I'm not sure if this round will catch on, but is it currently possible to build one of these guns chambered for the 6.8mm Rem SPC?

Thanks again folks :D

EDIT: One more question...when obtaining an upper receiver, can you build it from a bunch of parts, or is it best to get the entire upper group already constructed?

I found this barrel: LMT MRP 16" 6.8 SPC Chrome Lined Barrel

But at the same time, found this upper: Stag Arms 6.8SPC M4 Upper Receiver Group

Are these prices bad? Are these companies good?

EDIT(x2): Last question...I found this lower: Ko-tonics - 6.8mm AR-15 Complete Lowers

Will this lower and the upper that I listed above produce a working firearm? :34:
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2007
  2. Pred

Pred Suspended

Lets so, go check out Eagle Firearms.net, Bravo Company, Del-Ton and Rainier Arms. Anything and everything you need to buy can be had from those places. For the most part the only thing you have to watch out for is the large hole Colt stuff, however I highly doubt you'll run across any. And actually it can be as simple as putting an upper and lower together with the two take down pins. Just order a complete upper and a complete lower. On cost, I'd say $500 is about the least you could build a GOOD rifle for. If you build your own lower, or buy one, your going to spend atleast $100 for the lower, $60-$70 for the parts kit, and about the same for a good stock. Then you will probably want to buy some tools also, so your talking $275 to $300. A good bolt carrier group will cost you at least $100, and don't skimp on it either, it's the heart and soul of the rifle. Now the upper is what can make or break you, so to speak. You can deck out the lower with a $200 stock, a $50 grip, and spend a few $100 on a trigger, but you don't have to. With the upper, you can find the old M16A1 uppers off destroyed M16's for about $175-$200 at shows. Nothing special but you can built up a few rifles pretty cheaply doing this. Really, the sky is the limit on building an AR. You can easily spend $3000+ on one. But I'd say for a good rifle with decent optics, probably $850-$1100 would cover it, depending on what you want and want the rifle for. The M4 design over the standard barrel profile only allows for one thing, to attach a M203 grenade launcher to it. However since you can't own one(at least not without money and paperwork), spending the extra money on it is up to you, but thats all it gives you. I would stick with the .223 round for starters, IMHO. Give it another year or two to see what other rounds come out and how they catch on.
  3. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

Yeah, I may end up buying a .223 ...seems to have cheaper ammo, meaning I can shoot more, which makes me happy. It also would give me an excuse to build another one in the future in a different caliber :D

Look for me to update this thread in the future asking about 2 specific uppers and lowers, just for confirmation.
  4. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

do you have to be 18 to buy all parts, or just for the lower reciever(as legally speaking, that is the firearm)?
  5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Wish you were my neighbor kud.with your great desire to learn about firearms and my access to them we would probably be out on the range come rain or come shine(I dont mean moonshine)being limited only by daylight and how much this old body could stand.In all these years I have never quit asking questions about firearms.It seems they are a nonending learning subject. samuel.
  6. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

cubbie, you only need to be "of age" to buy the lower reciever.
  7. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

i wish i was your neighbor too, there aren't many places i'd rather be than at the range and you seem to have all your ducks in a row when it comes to guns

cool, thanks
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2007
  8. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I would suggest getting the complete upper assembly. The manufacturer will set the head-space and test-fire it before it leaves the factory (unless some bubba put it together in his basement). Next point - buy from somebody you can trust. I like buying name brand lowers. They really don't cost much more than the off brands and will make your finished rifle more valuable when done. Several good Internet resources exist for putting the lower parts kit in. It is not a big deal at all. The main thing is to install the parts in the correct order (i.e. the mag release before the bolt catch, etc.).

I have been thinking about the 6.8 spc, but the price of ammo is still deterring me. Although the ammo and mags are becoming more widely available. I went with 5.56 on my last M-4 build. I think the 5.56 and 6.8 use the same standard lower. The only difference would be the labeling on the lower. Midwayusa.com has quality parts at good prices. Good Luck
  9. riverider

riverider G&G Newbie

Tools first

I have found that most on my tools just won't cut it at working on my AR. So I have started buying some small items like brass punchs and pin installing punchs from Brownells. If you don't have the right tools you might end up with a damaged AR.
  10. Tex in Maine

Tex in Maine G&G Newbie

Brovo
    I bought my Olympic Arms AR 16" Plinkster from a dealer for $600. Which I feel is pretty inexspencive fro an AR, I have seen some as high as $2000, with matched barrels and whatnot, all I want is something that looks cool and puts holes in what I'm aiming at, which it does and rather nicely I think. But if your lookng for the experiance of building your own then I'm sorry but I can e of no help since I am very new to shooting scene.

Does Hoppes no. 9 make a cologne?
  11. Beer Forever

Beer Forever G&G Newbie

If you are dead set on 6.8, I think that the Stag complete upper is the way to go and just build your lower to your specs. It is more fun and informative that way.
  12. golem1961

golem1961 G&G Newbie

AR-15 barrels are self headspacing, so that is not an issue. That being said, I would suggest you build the upper yourself, if only to understand the inner workings of the rifle. The main thing to remember when attching the barrel is to get 50 footpounds of torque and NEVER NEVER go back to align the gastube slot. you may get by with it a hundred times but you may also get a catastrophic separation. All in all the AR is a fantastically easy platform to work on and I would suggest building one from the ground up.
  13. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I'm going to go out on a limb here. But, from the knowledge I have gained thus far, most parts from different manufacturers are interchangable, if they are of the same caliber/style. There are always exceptions to the rules, but basically you could put DPMS parts on a Bushmaster, or RRA parts on a Colt. Just be sure to read the small print. The Bushmaster two-stage trigger does not work on some of the Colt lowers, for example.

The biggest concern I have been sure to remind myself of is that I don't mix things that are illegal (without a tax stamp purchase). For example, putting a pistol barrel on a rifle lower. Or, buying the 3-round burst or full auto trigger kit without the tax stamp.

I would question some dealer's knowledge of the legal issues concerning military-style rifles. I have seen, for example, vendors selling 30-round magazines in a city where it is only legal to have 20-round magazines. It may be legal for them to sell this, but they don't remind people that if they live in that city, they have to get a tax stamp if they want it. There is also a law that all handguns must be sold with a locking safety on the trigger. But, I ordered a gun through GunsAmerica.com, and it did not have one. The FFL that I xfered it through here didn't put on on either.

If you have built a computer before, it is kinda the same. Just have to make sure that pieces match the piece they are attaching to and are compatible to the overall rifle you are building. Don't want the new Bushy .45 cal barrel and put it on a gun with a .223 lower. :)
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2007
  14. likehesaid

likehesaid G&G Newbie

AR-15 Build

So now you want too build your own rifle from the ground up. I'm going too provide you some links that will help you too decide. I have built several myself. One word of advice find about 5-6 other friends to go in on the purchase of the tooling and the 80% lowers. Yes you can go as exotic as you like and spend as much or more than you would for a store bought weapon. The pride of bulding it yourself is the more important aspect of it in the first place. Plus getting exactly what you want on it is the second. This link has the whole story of how to build it and the proper jigs too hold your lower too build, CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15 80% Tooling / Drill Jig . This link will take you too where you can purchase a 80 % lower AR15 Plus Store - custom firearm parts, kits, AR15, AK47 . I've included a pic of my varminter i built just too give a rough idea of how they can look. PS this one cost $800 to build.

Attached Files:

15. JBS

JBS G&G Newbie

LIKEHESAID

Question...Why do you have the scope on your AR set so high? Man, that sucker's up there.
  16. likehesaid

likehesaid G&G Newbie

Up there!!

Yes it is up there quite a bit. Even with a DPMS high rise upper the scope (10-40x56) was touching the extra heavy triangular hand guard. In addition it is easier too use the charging handle. The price you pay for old eyes and a need too see out too 500 yards+. It is a tack driver @ 100 yards it is capable of hitting the same hole consistently. In addition it took over two years for me too get (afford) the parts too make w/o a divorce that is..:)
  17. AresSin

AresSin G&G Newbie

Hey guys I'm thinking bout building an M16 Assault Rifle A4 could you guys when ya get the chance send me links about the parts I'll need and the prices

Ryan
  18. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Go to AR15.com, and check their section of "Building your AR15" in the Forum.

There is ALL the info you could ever want.