Bushmaster .308

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Packing4Peace, Oct 6, 2004.

1. http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bushmaster308.asp

Oh yeah baby. It' an AR15 style rifle that spits big fat .308 Winchester (7.62) rounds! They are pretty pricey, but a .308 AR15 would be a mighty useful gun. It would pack better range and a lot more punch than .223s.

If I only had 2 grand to blow on a gun... sigh.

Has anyone owned or fired one of these? If so what did you think of it?
  2. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I've seen them in person. I myself prefer the A2 stock to the Ace for a 308 model, believing the ACE is best suited to AR-15 carbines. I also prefer the ergonomics, aesthetics, and proportions of the Armalite AR-10 to the Bush 308. The Armalite costs a bit less. I've seen the Bushies for $1500 at a gun show, and the Eagle Arms (by Armalite) for a grand. The Bushies use unmodified FAL mags, have an ambidextrous mag release, and I think have a forward assist. The AR-10 lacks the latter two features and uses converted M14 mags instead.

It would be a hard decision for me, but I think I would choose the Eagle A2 myself for a battle rifle. If I wanted a target setup, I'd choose the DPMS 308.
  3. As a battle rifle, a .308 AR 15 would probably be better suited as a mid to long range rifle. I would prefer a .223 for mid to close range combat for several reasons: smaller, lighter ammo - more in a clip and easier to run around with; less recoil - means shooting quickly and accurately is easier; smaller frame - better mobility.

But that's just my opinion, and I've never been in a gunfight, so what the heck do I know?

I do think the .308 would be well suited for hunting though.
  4. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

Havn't shoot one, but looked one over at a gun show. Had a nice feel. Whish I had the money as well. Don't remember the price, but seems it was alot less than 2K.
  5. Well, the bushies start at list price $1600, could probably find one for $1200-$1400, and I was figuring in the price of a decent scope, magazines, ammo, etcetera.