Buying a Gun in Florida

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dl11, Oct 24, 2007.

1. dl11

dl11 G&G Newbie

Hey everyone, I was considering buying a gun sometime. I looked up the laws in Florida and its relatively lax. I'm 18 and was thinking of getting a handgun and then taking gun training courses. However, am I not allowed to buy handgun ammo? I was looking on gunbroker and it says that you have to be 21 to buy handgun ammo. I can't seem to find anything specific regarding this. Is it the same if I were to buy it at Walmart or something?
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you'll also need to be 21 to buy a handgun.
  3. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

Gun Control Act of 1968 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you have to check federal, state, county, and city laws, all of them have an opportunity to screw you, for example without the federal law I would have a POS car and be buying 3 or 4 guns for myself for christmas, as the age under state law is 16 in alaska, but federal law says i have longer to wait
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Left O is right - you have three years to wait. You can enjoy rifles and shotguns, or get into Cap&Ball revolvers and muzzle-stuffers. Black Powder is a whole different ballgame! :)
  5. SilentSoul

SilentSoul G&G Newbie

You also cannot just buy a gun off gunbroker you need an FFL or someone with one to do the transfer.
  6. shottas69

shottas69 G&G Newbie

Actually in florida at the age of 18 you are able to own your own handgun at 18. You will not be able to purchase it from a dealer or online. but it is permitted to sell a handgun to anyone over 18 in a private sale.
  7. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

You are allowed to own one and/or shoot one at a range just not buy from a licensed Gun Dealer. Can you get your Father, mother, brother, sister, cousin, aunt, uncle, friend etc to buy it and transfer it into your name? That same rule applies to a handgun or handgun ammo.
  8. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

your in the same boat im in

you can buy ANY long gun (rifle, shotgun, carbine, what have you) but if its considered a pistol, you gotta be 21 for some reason....the ammo applies to that law to which is retarded (i could buy a 9mm carbine but not the ammo) but i have never had a problem buying handgun ammo before (ive bought some for friends as gifts)
  9. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That one never made much sense to me. A 12 gage shotgun can do a hell of a lot more damage than any handgun. You can buy the 12 gage or even a 10 gage but not a .22 pistol.
  10. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

I think it is still legal for a parent to buy a handgun for their child in GA. I know it was in the nineties.
  11. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I think it is in FL. I believe you can possess one at 18 and buy one in a private sale at 18 just not from a licensed FFL dealer. Once FFL is involved Federal Laws kick in.
  12. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

its all about concealing it

still, it doesnt make sense to me
  13. Chasing

Chasing G&G Newbie

Ammo has an age limit, I would guess, because most parents will separate their gun and their ammo for safety purposes, and most minors *near* age know where their parents keep it/them.

It's not hard to any 16-year-old to snag a family gun, so it seems only proper to have an age limit on ammo - usually the only thing missing.

Also, ammo contains gunpowder (duh). In an age where you're not allowed to buy canned air to clean our your keyboard until you're 18 'cause some 14-year-old is using it to get high, do you really think anyone would condone selling what's essentially an unrefined explosive to that same kid?

Also, About.com's "What Are the Gun Laws in Florida?" page, located here: What Are the Gun Laws in Florida?

Please note their disclaimer: Caution: This summary is meant for general purposes only. Firearm laws frequently change and the following answers may not reflect changes in the laws.

Some interesting things noted about Florida:

"Rifles and Shotguns
    • Permit to purchase rifles and shotguns? No
    • Registration of rifles and shotguns? No
    • Licensing of owners of rifles and shotguns? No
    • Permit to carry rifles and shotguns? No
    Handguns

• Permit to purchase handgun? No
    • Registration of handguns? No
    • Licensing of owners of handguns? No
    • Permit to carry handguns? Yes
    It is unlawful:
    • To sell, give, barter, lend or transfer a firearm or other weapon other than an ordinary pocketknife to a minor less than the age of 18 without his parent’s permission, or to any person of unsound mind."
    ("without his parent's permission", that bit makes me giggle. So apparently minors may own their own guns, but their mommies and daddies must consent.)

That's all from me.
  14. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

You don't even need a bill of sale or any paperwork in FL. I have bought several handguns on a hand shake.
  15. mesa

mesa G&G Newbie

The reason is a handgun is completely consealable their for you could walk right up to someone and shoot them in the head. a shot gun is not and it doesnt matter if you can get close enuff you dont need a 12 guage to kill someone
  16. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie