C&R question

Discussion in 'Curios and Relics' started by PAPA G, Dec 8, 2010.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

i saw this posted on another forum, and was wondering what everyone here did. answer #1 seems to me as a Catch 22 sort of reply. no hunting license or permit could apply to alot of newbee's.

FROM ELSEWHERE.
    Most of the form is straightforward, but then I get to this:

C. Are you in possession of a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States?

1. If you answered "NO," you likely cannot lawfully possess a firearm and therefore cannot be a federal firearms licensee.

2. If you answered "YES," complete the following information, and attach a copy of the hunting license or permit to the application.

Huh? You mean that if I've never applied for a license or permit, I'm automatically adjudged a threat to society?

In my case, I have a carry license, and provided the info. But still: what are these cretins thinking?
  2. Dean R.

Dean R. G&G Newbie

That sure sounds screwy. Do you know what State this is from?
  3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i dont recall ever seeing that .
  4. PAPA G

he is in Washington State, but i would think that a Federal form would apply to all states the same.
  5. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

there must be a mistake in your quote. i've never had a hunting license and i never got hung up on the question when filling out my federal C&R paperwork. i think whoever posted that was mistaken. have a look at your own application and you'll see. i'd look it up, but i misplaced my extra copies at the moment.
  6. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

When buying a deer hunting permit at the local Wal Mart store here in Gladstone, MO...the sporting goods associate started filling out the application form. Then he asked if I had a pervious years permit with me...because it was help him reduce the possibilities of errors.

I did not take it as anything offensive...just that he could fill out the form with or without the old permit...but that the old permit would be useful.

No point being paranoid about this was what I thought.
  7. PAPA G

operator malfunction, the guy was doing the section reserved for people living here from other country's. i guess all the fine print looks the same after a bit.
  8. clayw1pi

clayw1pi G&G Newbie

C&R Information Likely Bogus

Here's the URL for the C&R License Application. I see nothing on it requiring you to have a hunting license in order to be eligible for a C&R.
  9. cheapblaster

cheapblaster G&G Enthusiast

I do not have a hunting license nor did I have one when I applied for my 03 license, which was issued and I have renewed since then. You simply do not need a hunting license in order to apply for an 03 license if you are a US citizen.

I looked at my copy of my renewal paperwork. Part of it is OMB No. 1512-0571, Certification of compliance with 18 U.S.C 922(g)(5)(B). What all of those numbers are about is a form where you certify that you are a U/S. Citizen. If you are a "non-immigrant alien" you are generally prohibited from any sort of inter-state dealings in firearms or ammunition.

Question 5 on that certification asks if you are an NONIMMIGRANT alien, answer yes or no. If you answered "yes" to that question you must go to a series of questions, among them is 6a, asking if you have a valid hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States.

It does not specify whether or not having a hunting license would be a way around the "general prohibition" mentioned. Presumably the question is there for that purpose, but it does not state that so I am just guessing.

But back to the original point - if you are a citizen, none of this applies to you!
  10. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Exactly !!
  11. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

So what is the part that refers to a Chief Law Enforcement Officer? Does this mean I have to go have the Sheriff or other official sign my application?

And how long does it usually take to get an approval or denial and actually recieve the license after mailing in the application? I will be mailing mine in by the end of the week.
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  12. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

It means just that...If you have a police dept. you go to the chief , if you are in a county , etc served by a Sheriffs Office , it goes to the Sheriff...The time it takes BATFE varies from weeks to months depending on their workload..
  13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Exactly !!
  14. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

i mail mine to the sheriff. pretty sure he's higher up on the donought chain than the local police chief.
  15. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

Got it. Thanks guys.
  16. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

So can I just walk into the police station or the courthouse and have it signed?
  17. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

The Police Cheif doesn't sign anything.

You send it to the LOCAL Law Enforcement Chief (If you have a local Police Chief, it goes to HIM, not the Sherrif. Always the most local.)

He doesn't sign it or approve of you getting the license. His job is ONLY to deny you if he feels you shouldn't have the license.

Sent him his copy and forget about it.. If he doesn't do anymore than file it in the round file, it's no skin off your rear end.
  18. roggom

roggom G&G Enthusiast

^ Yup, I mailed mine as well, It's just a heads up that you are applying for a license. If the dept feels they need to follow up they will contact the BATF. If you have not been convicted of any felonies or misdemeanor domestic violence, you will be good to go.
  19. matt760

matt760 G&G Enthusiast

So the copy that I send to the ATF does NOT have to have the sheriff's signature on it?
  20. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

no. just send him a copy and forget about it. he'll notify the atf if you shouldn't be allowed to have a C&R.
    the first two pages go to the atf. the last two pages of the form go to the sherriff.
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2011