Can a .410 Shotgun shoot .45 Longs?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by hawkeye_gunner, Jun 21, 2008.

1. hawkeye_gunner

hawkeye_gunner G&G Newbie

Hello,

I know that Taurus made their "Judge" that shoots both .410 and .45LCs, but heres my question.

A member here told me a 410 Shotgun should be able to shoot .45LCs, but I need some advice before going out and buying a box of .45LCs.

Can a .410 Shotgun shoot .45LCs? Say a regular size bolt action Savage/Springfield shotgun shoot .45s? Is the barrel large enough for a 45lc? Would it work if chambered it first? I'm not expecting the .45 LCs to fit in the magazine, but to chambering it specifically seems to be more realistic.

Thank you for looking through this.

Input is vital!!
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If your gun is NOT made for 45 colt then No, it isnt safe...
    PERIOD !
  3. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I would not shoot 45LC in a 410 shotgun. I am not sure but the pressures are much higher with the pistol cartridge than the shotshell. You can shoot 410 shell in a 45lc though!
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

unless it is chambered for it, and clearly marked on the gun, HELLLLLL NO!
  5. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

No. If that were the case, shooters would have been doing it for the last hundred years and it would be common knowledge.
  6. hawkeye_gunner

hawkeye_gunner G&G Newbie

All right, thanks for your replies.

I won't try it then.
  7. scoutman

scoutman G&G Newbie

dont ever try any think like that un less its compatable for and example a 38 shell can be shot though a 357 correct me if im wrong
  8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I'd say you could do it at least once! If you're still alive afterwards, count your blessings and don't push your luck. :D
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    yep,
    and pigs can sorta fly if you throw em off a cliff!
  10. Cyrille

Cyrille G&G Newbie

If the gun is chambered for .357, it is chambered for .357 NOT .38
    read the owner's manual, it should state. on some page something to the effect of
    "use only the proper cartridge/ caliber that is correct for this firearm.
  11. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

The 38 special can be fired in a 357 however you must clean the crud from in front of the casing as the casing is a tad shorter so you will not mix them the other way around in old guns, 357's are stronger so you need a stronger gun, and some old 38's would not be up to the task. as for the 45 in the shotgun no way the metals are different and its not safe unless made for it like the judge and TC contender are.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The .45Colt(LC) has a flat base and is either jacketed or lead "alloy which makes it harder than .410 slugs which are made from pure lead and have a skirt on the bottom that is expanded out against the barrel to form a gas seal.The chamber demension on a .410 is .470"+ which may allow a .45 Colt to be chambered altho .45 colt is .480"."but"the cylinder bore on a .410 is .410" making it .41cal,not .45cal.A .410 slug meisures .400" with that cup I mentioned.A .45colt bullet/slug meisures from .451" to .454" which is .041"to.044" larger than the bore on a .410" shotgun.The bullet is constructed from a copperjacket lead core or alloy cast lead and both are hard to compress(especially .041").A .410 barrel is thin compared to a .45 Colt which is only designed for a max of 18kft lbs.To compress a .45 slug that much would develope pressure I can only guess at but would bet it would top 50k lbs,and this in a bbl designed for about a 20k max pressure.The next one would be .44cal which has a .457" case which would chamber in a .410 but has a .430"slug which would require it to be compressed .020",still developing tremenduous pressure. The next one is the .41 cal which has a .490" rim and .435 body which might allow it to be fired in a .410 but has a .410" bullet which when it hit the choke would have to be compressed considerably,leading again to high pressures and besides the case would have to stretch .045" to fit the .410 chamber,and it couldnt do it so it would shoot powder and hot gasses back in your eyes.So there is no way you can fire a handgun cartridge in a .410 without injuring the firearm,you or both.The reason they can fire .410,s in a .45 chamber and barrel is the chamber and barrel are much larger than a .410 so it doesnt build excessive pressure.Please don't ever be dumb and stupid enough to try to fire handgun ammo in a .410.I still like you no matter what others say about you and want you to be able to post here for a while longer.Besides,if choked the muzzle may only meisure .380"/.390".That is a lot smaller than .450" sam.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2008
  13. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

JUST BUY .410 Slugs....They are made for it !!!
  14. knightRider

knightRider G&G Newbie

your wrong . :burnout:
  15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Your right!Cyrille we demand you rethink your post and reverse your readings. sam.
  16. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin G&G Newbie

A lot of people, the un-rich country folk, used to fire .45 Colt in single shot 410s. I never heard of a blowup but it might have happened. They were used as a Deer 'Rifle' when needed and a small game gun at other times. Some of the old Single Shot Shotguns were pretty stout guns.
    You can shoot .38 Spl and .38 Long Colt in a .357. Just be sure and clean the chamber afterwards.
  17. Cyrille

Cyrille G&G Newbie

Oops my mistake sorry guys, Sam Adams made me do it!
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

In the bp days the .45 Colt had pure lead slugs which could be compressed much easier than the hard cast that is about all that is available today.And,yes they used to use heavier barrels.But even if I knew of a bonified case of a .45 Colt being fired succesfuly through a .410 barrel I would not post it as I believe it would be very dangerous and might intice someone to try it and injure themselves.I have heard of someone doing it but in 60yrs of guns have never seen it or heard of it being done in such a way that I totally believe it.Maybe that is because the ones that tried it didn't survive to tell the story. sam.
  19. mym1a

mym1a G&G Newbie

if i'm not mistaken a 410 gauge and 41 mag are the same diameter however neither is chambered for the other.
  20. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

This sort of lunacy sounds like something for the Guns & Ammo Show's "Torture Test" segment. Richard Venola and the other guys in that segment do all manner of downright dangerous gun tests. They've fired .45 ACPs under water; shot slugs out of a Thompson/Center with the choke tube still in the barrel; blown up a T/C by firing it with 3 inches of mud plugging the barrel; and other stuff just as dangerous.

I'd be interested to see what would happen if you tried firing a modern .45 LC out of a modern .410 shotgun - on the TV, not in person. Sounds to me like there's a good chance of the shotgun blowing up, or at least blasting gas out of the breech and maybe swelling the chamber out.