Can a solenoid trigger a 12 gauge shotgun shell?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SenTnel, Oct 5, 2009.

1. SenTnel

SenTnel G&G Newbie

I have an idea for an electronic device that take 12 shells and can be fired electronically. Is that possible? If so, what type of force or pressure is needed to trigger off a shotgun shell?

Thanks!
  2. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

well an electronic charge isnt what sets off a shotgun shell its a strike to the primer so whatever you would use the solenoid for would have to be able to strike the primer either way this would probably end badly i would not recommend it and will probably submit it to the darwin awards if you attempt it.
  3. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Yes, of course it's feasible and should be simple to do but I don't know what force is required to set-off the primer.
    I also don't know the legalities of such a device in your country.
  4. captsquirrel

captsquirrel G&G Newbie

I'm with Dave on the Darwin award nomination. What on Earth do you have in mind? Whatever it is it sounds like a bad idea.
  5. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

I think he is asking if a solenoid has enough force to set off a primer. I think the long and the short of it is I do not think a solenoid(like off a gm starter I assume) would have enough force to set off a primer. Now if you used the solenoid to replace the trigger it might work. All I have to ask is why would you want to do that anyway.
    Travis
  6. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Got to disagree with you there Travis, I don't know about GM starters but there are plenty of solenoids out there that would easily set off a primer. (electric, pneumatic or even hydraulic ones could do it.)

I would suspect that the engaging solenoid on virtually any pre-engaged starter motor would suffice. (Not sure if you yanks use the term pre-engaged?) but I'm sure that most of you mechanical types know what I mean.
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Remington, at one time, did produce

an electric shotgun. It was battery powered, had special ammo, and really failed in the marketplace.

This is not a new idea. Other manufacturers have experimented with it. However, it has just never been a successful idea.
  8. tappedandtagged

tappedandtagged G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, if you find the right solenoid, it's possible and interesting; however, as Wunhunglow said, legal??? Not so sure. And what use would someone have for that? Sounds like someone's trying to booby trap some stuff. Not a good idea there bud.
  9. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I have a bad feeling about this.
  10. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

solenoids worked the triggers on the WWII Browning aircraft machineguns but they didn't directly hit the primer. I have seen several types of solenoids that did have enough power to set off a primer.
  11. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

me too.
  12. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

Get your finger in the way of a starter solenoid, and that'll convince you that it has enough force! But I want to hear more details about this plan, Bubba. I'll hold your beer.....
  13. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

No, I just don't think that a solenoid has enough forward momentum to set it off. Not to mention that most solenoids use power to hold them back and are not really a low power application. The only feasible way I see it working is using the solenoid to pull the trigger.
    Travis
  14. musicmaniac

musicmaniac G&G Newbie

Amen! Or maybe instead of getting your finger in the way, take the starter off your vehicle and take it down to your local Checker/Schucks/Kragen and have them test it for you. Watch the power that the bendix shoots out with... PLENTY of force.
  15. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Stop digging Travis. Electric solenoids use power to operate, either way, most use spring or air pressure to return them to their un-energised position.

As others have stated check out your car/truck starter solenoid, it uses a spring to keep it dis-engaged and when powered, drives forward to engage the starter ring. It would mash your finger if you put it in the way.

I've got over 30 years experience with electro/pneumatic & hydraulic control systems. A correctly sized electric solenoid operated firing mechanism would easily ignite a primer.
  16. pajaro

pajaro G&G Newbie

where is our original poster? why does he want to trigger 12 shotgun shells? why 12? i don't get it.........
  17. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

12 gauge shotgun shells, not 12 shotgun shells. He's probably wanting to build some kind of remote controlled varmint blaster. You know, like a video camera on the chicken coop to watch for the fox, see the fox on camera, push the button and BOOM!
  18. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

Probably scared off by the number of replies. As for the auto starter
    solenoids I have ever worked with move the wrong way to directly fire a primer. The solenoids we used on the foam markers moved both ways but I don't think there was enough force there(of course I never had need to check it out). A hydraulic solenoid would have enough force but I don't think it would have the desired speed. A pneumatic solenoid would probably have both but then you would have to have a air tank to set it off and that makes the whole thing just that much more complicated. Really if you want a electric trigger look into the ones Remington made. They even use a electric trigger in mini guns I think. Just my $.002.
    Travis
  19. travisg96

travisg96 G&G Regular

But why when there are many easier solutions to remotely fire a gun. And you are right I don't have that much experience working with solenoids.
    Travis
  20. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Man knows how but only the good Lord knows why!

I agree there are many easier solutions to remotely fire a gun but the OP asked if it was possible for a solenoid to trigger a shotgun shell. It is!