Can Anybody I.D. This Rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dallas, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

Virginia, just outside of Washington D.C.
    I have recently inherited a .22 rifle. The only markings on the rifle are as follows:

O.F. Mossberg & Sons Inc.
    New Haven Conn., U.S.A.
    151M(b) .22 LR Only Pat Pend

I can not find any additional markings.

It is tube feed (throught the stock), it has a plastic trigger guard and plastic butt plate. It has a 20 inch barrel. The front and rear sights can be manipulated into several different sight picture
    combinations by loosening the front or rear sight screws and rotating the sights. It is not a bolt action rather it is a semi auto with a pull back knob for the safe or open breach position.

Can anybody tell me something about this rifle? It is in near mint condition. I can't include a photo since I don't have a scanner. Since the rifle appears to be new I can only assume that my father purchased it in the '50's or very early '60's.

There are no instructions or owners manual so I am at a total loss. Can anybody help?
  2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Dallas, check Mossberg's web site, www.mossberg.com , they list a collectors group. Where is the 151M(b) on the rifle? That just might be the model number. You might be able to get a manual that way as well.
  3. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

I found an additional marking on the swing out rear peep sight, it reads Mossberg S-130. The markings as indicated in the first post are all together on the barrel between the front and rear sights.
  4. Jay rh

Jay rh G&G Newbie

5. Dorothy

Dorothy G&G Newbie

I am new to this. I never shot before- but thought I'd take a class with my 21 year old son. I just got two .22s from my dad and mom. I do not think my dad has shot anything but a rat in 1960 with his rifle. It is a O.F. Mossbery and Sons, Inc., New Haven Conn. USA, 151M(b) 22 L.R. only Pat. Pend. Good shape (as far as I can tell...) and my mom's is Springfield Model 15, J. Stevens arms Company, Chicopee Falls, Mass. .22 short long or long rifle. I think my sister's high school boyfrend took them out in the 70s to clean them. I thought it would be fun to learn to do some target practice. No one in the family ever hunted or had guns, so I onoly look at this as the fun of target practice (though I did get my son a BB gun at the age of 12). Any knowledge of these guns? the value or worth of using them to learn with? They were married in 1950 or 1951 and I know they had these when they dated just before marrying.
  6. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Hi Dorothy just give them a good cleaning these are fine little rifles for plinking, have fun with them and pass them on just as your folks did. I wouldn't fret too much about their resale value, their value as mementos of your family far outweighs anything with a dollar sign in front of it.
  7. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Dorothy, first off, welcome to G&G.

I just sent a message to Dallas, the original poster from this thread, so hopefully he has some new information on the rifle for you.

As for the Springfield, I have no idea, but perhaps someone here has experience with this old rifle. You could also try contacting Springfield Armory directly to see if they can supply you with some archived information. I'm sure they'd be tickled pink to hear about some nice antique rifles still being serviced by American citizens.

If you need parts for the Springfield, check out this site: Savage, Fox, Springfield & Stevens | 15 | e-GunParts.com

Also, good on you for buying your son a BB gun. My first experiences with firearms was an air-powered BB gun at different Boy Scout camps and summer camps. I was fortunate enough to have the experience of shooting a .22LR rimfire rifle (and learning all the basics of safe shooting) at a summer camp called Camp Orkila on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands, north of Puget Sound, WA.

Hopefully, these two .22's will be treasured heirlooms in your family for generations to come.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2007
  8. Oz n Bolivia

Oz n Bolivia G&G Newbie

Dorothy Welcome. Take the classes and learn to shoot well. Classes are the quickest and best way to learn to shoot well and safely, except by joining the Marines. The lowly 22RF is a great entry point. My mother was a better shot than I was. I love punching paper and watching cans bounce when hit, but todays Aluminium cans just get holed not much movement.

Oz
  9. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Welcome, Dorothy.
    I have been collecting Mossbergs for awhile now, and the M151 series is popular and not too over-valued right now. It was made in good numbers, so isn't a scarce model. A good condition rifle would sell for around $150 on the open market, though if it was pristine a collector might pay more if he needed that one for his collection.
    The 'b' in the Mossberg nomenclature usually refers to minor modifications in a series, such as different sights. The "S130" Dallas referred to is the model number of his Mossberg peepsight. An excellent sight that will fit many Mossberg models (look for two small holes in the left rear receiver).

I also have the old Stevens Model 15 (Savage, Stevens and Springfield all used the same designs, and many also were made with 'store brand names').
    An uncle gave me mine when I was young, it's still a good little shooter.
  10. Dallas

Dallas PUKHA DAWG

BigDog about covered it. My Dad bought this when he was in College as a plinking rifle. It still has the original canvas cover. As just-a-car said it has memory value for me. I haven't fire the rifle since I inherited it and may never.

By the way welcome aboard the boards, Dorothy.
  11. aztex

aztex G&G Newbie

Mossberg 151 (b)

Hi Jay,
    I also have in my possession a Mossberg 151M (b) if you are interested. It is in excellent condition. Please advise,
    Aztex
  12. JCKnife

JCKnife G&G Newbie

I realize this thread is several months old, but I've been looking for that rifle. If you still have it, e-mail me: j dot knife at insightbb.com

Thanks.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Just for a kicker, and because for some reason I missed the original thread...

Mossberg 151M autoloading rifle - improved version of the 51M, 20-inch barrelcomplete action is removable without use of tools, mfr'd from 1946-1958.

The 51M was made in 1939-1946, micrometer click reciever peep sight, hooded front, two-piece Mannlicher-style cheekpiece stock with full pistol grip, hard rubber buttplate, & sling swivels. 15-shot tube mag.

the 151K version was made from 1950-51, same as above with a 24-inch barrel, but without the micrometer peep.

Then came the 351K with a monte-carlo type stock...1960-71
    the 351C with a cowboy-style stock...1965-71