Can I resize a .357 lead bullet, to .355 (9mm)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 22plinker, Oct 10, 2009.

1. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

I have 1500 lead bullets, that are mismarked on the package. The package says "9mm, .356". They are actuall .357. Can I resize them, to .355 for use in a 9mm auto? I use a Lee Hand Press Reloader, for 9mm & 380acp only. The 125 gr lead bullets sometimes work in my large Taurus PT92AFS (9mm) and in My Taurus PT58HC (380acp) But it will NOT (EVER!) work in my Taurus Millenium 9mm. (YES, I DID find a "safe load" for 380acp, with a 125gr bullet, in a regular loadbook!)
    I have already tried a Carbide sizing die (Lee # 578-115) & it does NOT "squish" the bullet the needed .002. What I think I need is, a carbide sizer die, made for sizing "just cast" bullets. I cannot find a part number, in the Midway catalog. Lyman shows a "450/4500 Lube sizer" pn#254-205 as "fits Lyman lube sizer". Does anybody know if this part will fit a Lee hand reloader, and will it resize the lead bullets. (Yes, they are lead, yes they can be resized. I "drifted" a bullet, through an old .355 barrel & the bullet was resized to .355 but I don't want to have to do each bullet, this way.)
    Can anybody give me advise on this?
  2. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  3. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

The reason I need to resize is, the bullet jams in the barrel, when the slide is about 1/8" from closed. It is a BEAR to get the slide retracted!! When I finally get the slide open, to remove the bullet, the barrel "grooves" are deeply embedded in the end/sides of the bullet. It is clearly too large in diameter, for my new Taurus Milennium 9mm. Thanks for the "link" that gave me the info that I need. I will order the part you suggested. THANK YOU JIMKIM!!!
  4. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

if the bullets are getting jammed in the barrel just by trying to chamber them, wouldn't that mean they are too long? sorry if i'm way off base here. never messed with loading for semi-auto pistols.
  5. mikld

mikld G&G Newbie

I agree. If the round is jamming into the rifling when you try to chamber it, I think the COL is way over length. Check in your manual for cartridge over all length specs. If the slugged bullet (.355") is for the barrel you will be using, .357" is probably about right, as long as it will chamber. Lead bullets are more accurate and will lead the bbl. less if they are .001" to .002" over bore size.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I was just going to say, most lead bullets for 9mm are about .357". My lead for .357 is about .3585"
  7. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I agree -- the rifling should not be engraving the bullet when chambering the round. What weight are the bullets?
  8. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Note: The bullets in question are round nose lead.
    All the specs I read say "length 1.169" I set my reloads to 1.069, (.100 under the maximum length listed in both loadbooks that I have. There is no "minimum" length for 9mm) With an LED in the barrel, I can see the rifling goes right up to the "relief" cut in the barrel, for the length of the case.
    A bullet of .355 diameter, set at 1.169" will chamber fine, with no problems. A bullet of .356 will also chamber fine, but only if it is set to maximum length of about 1.125. Anything longer (.356 diameter) will "stick" when the slide closes. It will fire & eject, but I cannot retract the slide, with the round in the barrel. Clearly, the problem is, the bullets (.357-.3575) are too large in diameter. I have about 1200 of them that I will use. My thoughts are, my barrel is set at "minimum diameter" when Taurus manufactured it. I will order a Lee Lube & Size Kit #343992 to resize the bullets that I have. Note: I have reloaded 9mm, as short at 1" & they load in the magazine with no problems & shoot without any problems.
    I am open to comments and suggestions? Has anybody else ever had this problem, of "oversize" bullets, or "mislabeled" bullets?
  9. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Oversize bullets, 9mm, problems

QUOTE=22plinker;1018378]Note: The bullets in question are round nose lead, teflon or other "slippery" coating.
    All the specs I read say "length 1.169" I set my reloads to 1.069, (.100 under the maximum length listed in both loadbooks that I have. There is no "minimum" length for 9mm) With an LED in the barrel, I can see the rifling goes right up to the "relief" cut in the barrel, for the length of the case.
    A bullet of .355 diameter, set at 1.169" will chamber fine, with no problems. A bullet of .356 will also chamber fine, but only if it is set to maximum length of about 1.125. Anything longer (.356 diameter) will "stick" when the slide closes. It will fire & eject, but I cannot retract the slide, with the round in the barrel. Clearly, the problem is, the bullets (.357-.3575) are too large in diameter. I have about 1200 of them that I will use. My thoughts are, my barrel is set at "minimum diameter" when Taurus manufactured it. I will order a Lee Lube & Size Kit #343992 to resize the bullets that I have. Note: I have reloaded 9mm, as short at 1" & they load in the magazine with no problems & shoot without any problems.
    I am open to comments and suggestions? Has anybody else ever had this problem, of "oversize" bullets, or "mislabeled" bullets?[/QUOTE]
  10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

And you heard this where? There is most CERTAINLY a minimum. The less AOL, the higher the pressure. 9mm's already run at pretty high high pressure. Anything more and the last thing you may be seeing pieces of your gun flying for your face!
  11. BenchRest

BenchRest G&G Regular

What kind of rifling do your firearms have?
  12. George H

George H G&G Newbie

If you will look with your eyes open.9MM bullet are max weight of 147 gr. that means its a shorter bullet. and they should be .355. IF, they were 130 gr 357 they will work fine if resized. You can resize jacketed bullet the same way. The reason they stick is the bullet is too long. When I was shooting pins with a 38 super(which is 9mm) I made a casting die out of a 38 semi wad cutter that was 180 gr. The extra length was smaller than 9mm so it was no problem.
    Sounds to me from the orig post that you are thinking. Thats a good thing for most shooters altho it can be dangerous. If you study Powders and the presure signs and use the gray matter between you ears you will be fine. Where the hell do you think 98% of reloading and wildcats came from? Thats correct guys like you and me only I have been doing it longer than you. And the only gun I ever blew up was intentional. G
  13. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Resizing 9mm lead bullets

Per JIMKIM's advise (see his post above) I ordered the Lee .356 sizing die, on monday this week. Friday I got the shipment from Midwayusa.com. WOW, what service! I followed the directions, lubed with Alox, let them set overnight, then I ran a dozen 125gr lead bullets (.357-3575) through the sizing die, added powder, crimped them at 1.125 length, then ran them through a Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die. I loaded 10 of them in the magazine of my Taurus PT111 (Millenium) & cycled the slide. Every bullet chambered and ejected with no problems. (I will shoot them friday)
    I note that there are NO "rifling marks" on any of the bullets. My thought is, my barrel is "tight", probably at minimum diameter & this gun "likes" lead bullets, set at a "shorter" length. (Jacketed bullets, set at 1.149 chamber & shoot, with no problem) As a rule, I have always set 9mm and 380acp at a minimum of .020 UNDER listed maximum length.
    Previously I had stated that I had NOT seen a "minimum" 9mm length. In my new reference book "Modern Reloading, Second Edition" I do NOT find any "minimum" length. BUT, in my "One Book/ One Caliber 9mm" I DO find the minimum length, for 9mm to be: 1.000". This "notation" is on page 8, and I admit, I missed this notation, MY mistake!
    Thanks to everybody, for the good comments!
  14. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

glad you seem to have gotten it sorted.
    let us know how they shoot after friday, please?
  15. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Taurus Millenium 9mm, .356 LRN, All cycled & fired with no problems. I now know that this gun likes "shorter" rounds! Now that I know the gun shoots them, reliably, I will do some evaluation with different loads. I also had made up 30 bullets, in 380acp, using the same .356, 125gr bullets & they also worked well. I will continue to experiment, 1/10 of a grain, (Win 231) at a time & see how they work? Thanks again, for all the comments & advise!