Can you shoot a sabot slug out of smooth bore?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by riverine17, May 12, 2013.

1. riverine17

riverine17 G&G Newbie

I have a Benelli SNT and I went to get some slugs to shoot but the shop only had sabot slugs. Can these sabots be fired through my smoothbore? If so, what would be the benefits or negatives to doing so? Just curious, thanks for any help you can give!
  2. savage12755a

savage12755a G&G Enthusiast

Of course you can shoot a sabot round through your smoth bore. That just makes a very large breech loading smooth bore musket. Your accuracy will be non existant however, since the sabot round requires rifling for proper operation.
  3. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

Yes.........But not very straight, very far............
  4. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

Yeah probably won't be able to hit a man sized target reliably past 10 yards
  5. rando

rando G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Others have asked the same question on here before. If it were me then I would take it to a range and shoot at paper to find out how your accuracy is. Will not know unless you try it at a target,.
  6. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Agree Heard the sabots need to be fired from rifled barrel for accuracy. Try the Fosters but my Win. 1300 still hit to the left of aim with a smooth bore.
  7. riverine17

riverine17 G&G Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies, all. General consensus is that the sabot can be fired but it wont be very accurate. Like I said, the shop only had the sabot style in stock but perhaps I'd better wait until regular slugs are back on the shelf. I tried the search function to see if this topic had been brought up but nothing showed up, wonder whats up with that? Anyways, again, thanks guys!
  8. bobvz

bobvz G&G Regular

It depends on the sabot projectile. Sabot rounds shaped like skirted pellets can fly pretty straight out to 75 yds or so. That's because they have their center of mass ahead of their center of pressure - just like a dart or shuttle cock - weight forward. Bullet shaped projectiles need to be spun.
  9. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

Sabot slugs are intended for rifled barrels or smooth bore barrels with a rifled choke tube.

Posted From Gun & Game Mobile!
  10. lynxpilot

lynxpilot Constitutionalist Forum Contributor

I'd be curious as to how it works out. Science tells me you need rifling, but it would be great if you'd try it and share what you found out.
  11. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Just tried a Federal Sabot with a rifled choke tube. No cigar. Printed low at 25 yards. Most need fully rifled barrel unfortunately. Some say for either I believe but every gun is different and don't believe accuracy will be that great.
  12. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Shot a doe at 80 yards with a sabot through a smooth bore.
  13. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Yes,

however, it really takes a rifled barrel to get the most from a slug.
  14. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Something to keep in mind on using sabots in a smoothbore.

When foster slugs were invented, they were made with "rifling" grooves. They do not make the slug spin as some think, (the slug acts like a shuttlecock/birdie) The premise was that during that time, just about any shotgun may suffice as the meat getting gun using "rifled" slugs. The veins on the slug combined with the softness of the lead are designed to allow the slug to "flow" through tighter chokes with no damage to the gun. Someone was thinking, right?

Fast forward to today. As others have mentioned, rifled configurations are meant for sabots. You DO NOT want to shoot a sabot from a tightly choked gun. The hard plastic combined with the stiff copper jacket found in most sabot projectiles will not give. You may not blow up your gun, but you could very well damage or bulge the tighter of the choke constrictions.

Safety first guys....
  15. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Enthusiast

Good advice to all Jerry and thanks. Guns are too costly to ruin today. I may just have to purchase another gun for sabots. Now won't that be ashame.LOL