Can you shoot a slug through a shotgun with a modified choke?

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by nc.hunter, Nov 2, 2008.

1. nc.hunter

nc.hunter G&G Newbie

Hey guys, the NC. gun deer season is just around the corner and I have gotten pictures of a 6-point buck and a nice 8-point buck. So, I really want to hunt to try to get one, my dad bought me a single shot 20 gauge shotgun about 2 months ago, I am pretty sure its a savage shotgun, But I would like to know if its possible to shoot a slug through a shotgun with a modified choke, buckshot would work, but I really prefer slugs. Thanks.
  2. single shot

single shot G&G Newbie

I believe it can be done but accuracy will suffer. Improved cylinder is prefered I believe. I'm a rifle and bow hunter but someone here will know everything about this I am sure!
    Good Luck
  3. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Everything I've read says slugs perform best with a cylinder bore, though they are designed to be safely shot through all types of chokes (though, as stated, accuracy will suffer).
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Agree with the other posters

and I do recommend a rifled barrel so you can truly get the performance
    from the slug.

It is a good investment. As another route, I have a Rossi 20 gauge rifled slug single shot that I really enjoy.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  5. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Definitely go with a cylinder bore. A 24" rifled cylinder bore would be ideal. Of course 2 3/4 "00 Buck Standard or Magnum loads out of a full chock will hold a killing pattern out to about 40 yards on running deer. 3" Magums won't allow fast follow up shots.
  6. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

make sure its the old style Forster (?) slug. their hollow base squeezes down when going thru a choke the sabot slugs do not. Forster slugs were made for un-rifled barrels and can give huntable accuracy in most shotguns.
  7. RePete

RePete G&G Newbie

8. unclejer

unclejer G&G Newbie

Go with any Foster type or better yet Brenneke Knock outs I used a 20 ga Topper with a mod choke and had no problems within 75 yards.
  9. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I've shot 12 guage fosters through modified. No problem.
  10. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

i shoot slug through my 870 express magnum. have never changed the choke since i bought it, dont even know which choke it is but i think it might be a modified choke, not sure. but have never had any problems with them at all.
  11. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

I have 2 barrels for my Maverick 88 and 1 is a 28 inch modified fixed choke smoothe bore and a 24 inch rifled barrel and I have shot a few soft leaded slugs through it (cant remember which ones) but I can say it made me nervous. Thats why i bought the rifled barrel. I can keep a 1-2 inch group at 100 yards pretty easy. If you are going to be using slugs I would recomend getting a rifled barrel if you can afford it.
  12. OldTimer

OldTimer G&G Newbie

N C Hunter:

FWIW, I've shot Foster-style slugs with my Moss'y 500 (12 ga.) bird barrel: 28" bbl, modified choke with a single (front) bead. I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards EVERY time with it. :D

If you have screw-in choke tubes, I might wonder if slugs could eventually make it hard to change choke. If it is a fixed (single) choke barrel then I see no problem with using Foster or Brenneke-style slugs. I still prefer my shorter slug barrel with rifle sights...YMMV. ;)

Have at it, and good luck,
  13. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I bought a rifled barrel for my Mossy 500A...thats what is next to my bed...