Case bulging on bullet seating....

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by texnmidwest, Jan 29, 2011.

1. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I was reloading some 30 carbine and the first 100 rounds went well. Then the second 100 I started getting a bulge where the bullet seats. Picture isn't the greatest but not sure how to correct the problem. Any Ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

My guess is that the problem lies between the press handle and the chair.
  3. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Enthusiast

Seating the bullets crooked. When you flare, and you set a bullet on top, visually inspect to make sure you have it sitting as straight as possible in the case.
  4. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

If the rim isn't messed up, pull them, resize and try again.
  5. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

Make your flare a little bigger (wider) Then, order the 4th die, Lee #222-864 "factory crimp die" www.midwayusa.com This "bulge" is fairly common, on reloading straight wall cartridges like 380acp, 9mm, 40 & 45acp. It is very important to have adequate flare and you need to be sure the bullet is parallel to the case, when you press it in place. If it is "cocked', even a little, the bulge will result. Using the 4th die, you should be able to "iron out" any remaining bulge. That's how it works for me, when I reload 380acp & 9mm. After the 4th die, the bullets drop right into my Lyman Max Cartridge Gage.
  6. jguilletjr

jguilletjr G&G Newbie

Did the adjustment on the die change for any reason? (Loose maybe)
    You may be crimping too tightly before the bullet is seated to the correct depth. I had a problem with that and I made a slight adjustment to my seating die.
    Also you may need a little more flare on the case mouth.
    Do you trim your cases to specifications?
  7. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

8. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Interesting. Jimkims link leads to the idea that you should just load them up and have at it. Those guys thought you need to have a minimum casemouth flare and better brass. Most of the guys here say it comes from not having enough flare or seating the bullet crooked.

I get that bullet base bulge with my .45s sometimes. I've wondered about it, but never worried about it. The funny looking ones seem to load and fire just fine.
  9. texnmidwest

Thanks for the info guys! Great link JimKim.

I will get a factory crimp die and see if I can get that corrected. Also flare the case a little more.
  10. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I get that alot on the Carbine and .45ACP. Normally they chamber OK, and it's a number of factors which can be involved, all listed above. If they chamber, no problem. I have a spare old carbine barrel that I drop them into after reloading. If they pass as most do, no worries. The 'sticky' ones I separate and shoot them separately, but I have them marked so as to alert me their may be problems.
  11. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

Midway has the .30 carbine FCD on sale for $9.99 now.
  12. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

Try just partially sizing(just the top quarter) the cases first. I'd still get a FCD, but you may not need it for this.
  13. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I get that bulge with all of my heavier bullets in all my straight wall cases. Was that a 110 gr. or heavier bullet?
  14. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Were all you cases the same length? (as aluded to in an above post)
  15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Enthusiast

ummmm.
    the carbine is not a straight walled case. straightwalled cases have rims.
    you most likely just have some thicker brass.
    it got sized to the taper, and the bullet just squoze it out to the right size.
    albeit just a bit on one side.
    try having the case in the shell holder all the way, and holding the bullet up and down while seating.

you most likely have a bit of grit under the shellholders rim.
  16. Indiana_gun_nut

Indiana_gun_nut G&G Newbie

Have had this problem before. Need to make sure all your brass is same length. I had bought 100 rounds of new brass that were alittle longer than the first reloaded 30 rounds of used brass. Just backed die out 1/8 good to go.
  17. medalguy

medalguy G&G Regular

30 carbine headspaces on the case mouth so proper case length is critical. Too short and they may not fire, too long and you may have an out of battery embarassment.

As far as the bulge, don't worry about it. As suggested, it could be some brass with a slightly thicker wall. Mine looks like that sometimes and I don't have a problem with it. The Lee FCD won't have any effect on the bulge. Since the case is tapered, it will simply crimp the case mouth, just like a bottleneck case. Then you will run the risk of having too much crimp and that can change the headspace. See my comment above about headspace.
  18. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

My preference is to NOT seat a bullet and crimp at the same time. I have the Lee FCD for all my taper crimp pistol calibers and am working on getting them for everything I reload for with the calibers I only do a few at a time for being the last I will get. I had been using the seating/crimp die out of spare die sets to make the crimp a separate operation but the Lee FCD works so much better especially on thin walled cases that its the only way to go.

I was getting the case bulge on .380 acp rounds and I found expanding slightly more, separating the seating and crimp operation and using the FCD all but made the bulge go away. On some rounds you can still slightly see a bump where the bottom of the bullet is but they still function fine.

tim
  19. texnmidwest

Bullet size is 110 grains. Case lengths were pretty consistent. Once fired Aguilla brass.

I will run a few rounds though the rifle to see if they function properly.

Great info guys! Thank You!