Century Arms U Fix 'em

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Sgtsquid, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Sgtsquid

Sgtsquid G&G Newbie

Has anyone purchased one of these and if so what condition are they in? Is it usually a simple fix or are they too far gone to bring back? I know each one is different but if anyone has had any prolonged history with You fix 'ems I'd like to know. Thanks.
    p.s. Gannie I'm also posting this in the C&R forum.:nervous:
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I've looked at them many times, but when they state things like may come with or without a bolt, I chicken out.

But they did have a 91/30 in fair condition for $56.
  3. Sgtsquid

Sgtsquid G&G Newbie

They've got 91/30 hex' for $40, I'm thinking two for the price of one, and that should be enough to make 1 complete. Hopefully.
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

May be worth it if you know how to headspace a chamber. That is the thing that worries me. If it comes with out a bolt...which it seems like one will not know until it arrives, then at minimum would be the cost of a bolt, plus headspace gauges and possibly headspacing.

I guess if ya bought two and one had a bolt then that worry would be nil. But, what if you bought two and both had the same parts busted or missing?

I say this as I have a T53 project sitting on my workbench. Just need a new stock.
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Is your Chinese stock this bad?

[​IMG]
  6. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

I do'nt believe in gun lotteries. A fully functioning 91/30 is 79.95 on AIM. Why would you want to pay $50 bucks for a piece of crap? It reminds me of a post someone else did when they found someone selling 98K barrels that had been in a fire "as is" for $50 bucks. If you know metal you know that any steel that is hardened and is exposed to high tempatures again will be brittel and unsafe. Sounds perfect for a barrel that was designed to shoot 196 grain rounds at 2800 fps huh? Be afraid, be very afraid.

Michael
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Michael, I can think of a couple of reasons. Let's take the 91/30s they have listed as an example, since I know them half-well.

Worst possible case: you detail-strip the piece and salvage parts from it. You'd likely be able to salvage the trigger group, the magazine follower and floor plate, the buttplate, the front and rear sights, the barrel bands, the barrel band springs, possibly the handguard, the magazine and trigger guard unit, and the two screws that hold everything together, even if the chamber or barrel are shot and the bolt is missing. If the bolt is present, even if you manage to salvage only the bolt body you'd have something you could send off to be bent for a scoped rifle.

Best possible case: the stock is shot but the metal is all sound but with a chewed-up finish and the bolt is there. Toss the stock and the handguard and get one of the wood Monte Carlo stocks that are out there for the Mosin; they cost about $90. Get a can of Duracoat and do all the exposed metal with it. Get the bolt bent by one of the benders that advertise on eBay or Gunbroker.com, fit and free-float the barrel, then finish the stock the way you like it; I recommeng tung oil varnish and a lot of patience. Put in a little time on it, and you'll have a gorgeous hunting rifle that can take down any game animal in North America for a whole lot less than you'd pay for a bottom of the line modern bolt-action from a major maker.

If you have the skills and you want to experiment with a clear conscience, those "U-Fix-'ems" are an affordable way to go.
  8. Sgtsquid

Sgtsquid G&G Newbie

Cyrano, you've almost pushed me over the edge. One more comment should do it, so let's have it....
  9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Well, mine has a butt plate and a cracked stock. My bolt is darker as well. But, yes.
  10. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

i don't see the point of paying twenty bucks less than you can get a shooter for and then hoping it doesn't cost you fourty to make it shoot.
    it would be different if they were rare or finns. not run of the mill 91/30's
  11. Augiedoggy

Augiedoggy G&G Newbie

they are actually the best deal if your looking for something to sporterize....this way you dont depreciate a collector gun.. and upset less of the diehards on here that think any alteration to anything stock is a sin..I purposly looked for the roughest looking rearsenaled non matching #91/30 I could find (with a good bore) when I bought mine to cut up and drop in a richards stock..... I think it looks like a damn handsome hunting rifle now and it was fun to do....
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2009
  12. Augiedoggy

Augiedoggy G&G Newbie

You do realize that at least half of the owners of these guns buy them because they are cheap right? not everyone is a collector...while i myself have one I'm afraid to shoot because its in such fine shape many people get them because they are cheap,dime a dozen and easy to repair and maintain.... so parts guns or you fix ems can be a dream come true...especially for the bargain hunters which from what I see this forums full of.
    Hell I want one now!
  13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Sounds like another bout of Mosinitis kicking in!:hypnotized:
  14. LeftHandShooter

LeftHandShooter G&G Enthusiast

photos please!
  15. Wyld_Cat

Wyld_Cat G&G Newbie

Why be afraid to shoot it?? My 1954 unissued Polish M44 looked to be test fired only... since i've had it i've put close to 100 rounds down its throat... in 2 sittings only. They were built to be fired. I wouldn't buy a gun for a wall hanger unless it couldn't be fired. Guns were made for one thing.. shooting.
  16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

And if it couldn't be fired, I wouldn't buy it!
  17. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I've been looking at the ufix'ems myself.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

So get one and tell us how it works out. You could cause a stampede for them if it works good.