Cheap .223 Rifle

Discussion in 'General Rifle' started by PAPA G, Oct 23, 2004.

1. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

suggestions for an inexpensive .223 rifle. would be for occasional sniping at foxes, miscellanious varmints, stray dogs etc. :)
  2. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

[​IMG]
    It is a well known fact that the AK is one of the finest rifles in the world. The original AK plant and the office of KALASHNIKOV is in the IZHMASH factory in Izhevsk Russia. Now the IZHMASH factory brings you the sporting version of the world famous AK and they call it "SAIGA". Yes, there are some changes such as: Hunting stock / forend

Standard capacity magazines

Wide range of calibers or gauges

Sporting sighting system

But under the hood lies the famous AK action / design, built by the original AK factory. Standard features: Hammer forged chrome lined barrel

Machined steel bolt

AK side scope rail

Polymer magazine and iron sights.

Options:

Scope Mount

Checkered wood stock / forend

Polymer stock / forend

Extra magazines

If you want a dependable semi-auto rifle or shotgun then buy a Saiga and you will see why the AK action is considered one of the most dependable actions in the world.

Around $259

.223 and 7.62x39 came close to buying one today...
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2004
  4. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

AccuTriggerâ„¢

Introducing the new Savage AccuTriggerâ„¢... A revolutionary design that will forever change the way shooters expect triggers to function.

Savage is constantly searching for new products or innovations that provide a true benefit to shooters. The trigger is one significant area that captured Savage's attention. Most triggers found in firearms produced today have a very heavy pull. The reason is quite simple...liability. Manufacturers cannot afford to ship firearms with triggers that could accidentally discharge; therefore, they design their firearms with heavy trigger pulls.

Almost all triggers can be adjusted to some degree. Some triggers have a screw that can be adjusted in order to reduce spring pressure on the sear mechanism, while others require a gunsmith to polish the mating components to reduce sear engagement. Adjustments to factory triggers can create an unsafe condition and usually void the factory warranty.

Savage is a unique company. Its managers, including the owner, are shooters and hunters. They listen to other shooters to understand what they want (and don't want) in a firearm. Most shooters are frustrated with a legal system that mandates the design of heavy triggers. They don’t feel they should be required to buy a firearm and then pay a gunsmith to have the trigger adjusted.

Savage challenged its engineering team to design a completely new trigger system that would give shooters what they desired. It took several years, but Savage’s new AccuTrigger™ meets every objective.

The AccuTriggerâ„¢ is Easily Adjustable

In most centerfire hunting models for 2004, the AccuTriggerâ„¢ is adjustable from approximately 2 1/2 lbs to 6 lbs, giving the shooter the flexibility to set the trigger pull to individual preference without paying a gunsmith to adjust the trigger. In the 12 Series Varmint and Law Enforcement Series, the AccuTriggerâ„¢ is adjustable from approximately 1 1/2lbs to 6lbs.

Adjustment of the AccuTriggerâ„¢ is easy. Simply remove the stock and rotate the return spring with the tool supplied with the rifle. The AccuTriggerâ„¢ has a single adjustment location and is designed so it cannot be adjusted below the minimum setting.

The AccuTrigger is Completely Safe

The AccuTriggerâ„¢ is completely safe and cannot accidentally discharge from being jarred or dropped when maintained and adjusted as intended. The trigger is designed with an integrated AccuReleaseâ„¢ that must be completely depressed or the rifle cannot fire. While pulling the trigger, the AccuReleaseâ„¢ is intentionally depressed, which unblocks the sear and allows the rifle to discharge.

A newly designed teardrop safety is an additional feature on rifles with the new trigger. It provides for better acquisition of the safety button and operates smoother and quieter.

The AccuTriggerâ„¢ is Extremely Crisp and Exhibits No Creep.

Savage used sophisticated software to compare objective measurements of their new AccuTrigger™ with competitors’ triggers. These comparisons confirmed there is a graphic and repeatable difference between the AccuTrigger™ and all other triggers tested. This objective method of testing demonstrated the new Savage system has a lighter trigger pull than all the other major brands. In fact, the AccuTrigger™ was lighter than a top-of-the-line imported brand and a custom aftermarket trigger. Testing also revealed the AccuTrigger™ was much smoother, crisper, broke cleaner and demonstrated less creep than any other factory-built trigger tested.

See and use the future of the industry — the Savage AccuTrigger™--the trigger system that makes all others obsolete.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Given the parameters of cheapness, shooting foxes, stray dogs and other varmints, and keeping it simple - my vote would be the H&R/NEF single-shot in .223 Rem caliber. You can find one under two bills. Add a cheap but decent scope - you're in business! :)
  6. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I would agree with the previous post regarding Savage and Sagia. If you want to step up a little from there in price, you can get a .223 ruger ranch rifle for a little less than an AR-15. Kel-tec is also making a neat little .223 rifle in the $500 range. Lots of choices!
  7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Stick with the single shot or bolt action if you plan to hunt varmints with it. The Ruger Mini-14, though a fine rifle has poor acuracy when it comes to small varmint size targets especially past 200 yards.
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Exactly my thoughts. The initial idea seems to be geared towards a singleshot or bolt rifle. Ya don't need a thirty round banana clip to hunt varmints. :)
  9. G Hollingsworth

G Hollingsworth G&G Newbie

I would hope this doesn't upset anyone BUT,the ak is and will always be what it is, A well designed MILITARY (throw-a -way) firearm. As far as i'm see,the best thing about the ak is you can throw it in the mud and keep shooting. Its to bad we didn't have it in the early days of S E Asia. Anybody that knows about our early stoner understands.
  10. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

well...ole Brer Fox is a red :rolleyes:

any way thanks for the suggestions, will keep searching the pawn & gun shop :)
  11. silentknight

silentknight G&G Newbie

If you can spend 500 on one I'd sugest a Tikka T3, I couldn't be happier with mine
  12. CV32

CV32 G&G Newbie

Tikka T3 gets my vote too. Excellent rifle.
  13. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I second Big Dogs suggestion of the H&R/NEF
  14. utahvarminter

utahvarminter G&G Newbie

savage 10fp (blued synthetic heavy 24" over sized bolt handle), or 12fv(blued synthetic heavy 26" oversized bolt handle)
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  15. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

16. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Stevens Budget Bolt gun sounds like what I'd use. But the Saiga 223 kicks butt too.
  17. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

And why not I say. I plan on getting one down the road-the price is just too nice.
    A brand new Savage 110 without the AccuTrigger, for a big discount.
  18. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

I have one of the last Savages before the accutrigger. A 300 RUM. I shoot MOA with it. And this is ME we're talking about, and I suck.
  19. myarmor

myarmor G&G Newbie

Savage always keeps thier reputation for accuracy. And these Stevens are getting great reports.
  20. utahvarminter

utahvarminter G&G Newbie

PLEASE FOR HEAVENS SAKES< DO NOT GET A STEVENS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the trigger is like seeing a grand-pa in a speedo, is [glow=1]CREEPY[/glow]!