Cheap semi-auto .22 pistol?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JMcDonald, Apr 28, 2008.

1. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

What are some good, but low-budget semi-auto .22s?

Thanks.
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Depends on if you want pistol, revolver or rifle in .22? And how cheap you want. I wouldn't suggest to cheap..How much do you want to spend or have to spend?
  3. andrew cochran

andrew cochran G&G Newbie

He said semi-auto pistol. I really couldn't anserw that one really. Never looked into them.
  4. GlockMeister

LOL, guess they did. I remembered to look at the category but missed the title. lmao. I won't bother to edit it, think it's funny. When I remember one thing I forget another. lol And now that I think about it, I can't remember if that was there when I first replied? lol Oh well.

Here, did a quick search on www.gunbroker.com/ and this is the page that came up just putting in .22 pistol and checking title and description.
    GunBroker.com Search Results: .22 pistols

Here's a good one about to end in 35 minutes or so and under $300. The Ruger Charger .22.
    GunBroker.com guns: ( RUGER 10/22 CHARGER SEMI AUTO PISTOL ) (item: 98008839 ends: Apr-28-08 06:56:08 PM)
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2008
  5. Zen900

Zen900 G&G Newbie

There's a ton of cheap semiauto 22 pistols. Some are just plain junk. I have a S&W 22A I paid $175 for. I sent it back to S&W twice and they had to bring it up to standard with their dime. Now I have a nice 22 plinker and squirrel gun. Beware of cheapo 22 pistols because they jam. They have heavy trigger pull or just fall apart. The reason I suggest the S&W is they honor their warranty. Personally though, I don't understanf why S&W put out their low priced 22A model because I know they lost money. Mine had a warped sight rail, warped feed ramp and it stovepiped. The sights wouldn't align etc.

Other cheap 22 models like the Jennings are only good guns if some one gives it to you. Stick to Ruger, Beratta,Browning and other reliable names. There are a lot of good 22LR pistol makers. The Browning Camper at $249 is probably the best of them all.
  6. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

These cost about $200, I had one I wish I'd kept. If they cost less than this you don't want one. (You didn't specify whether you wanted a target or pocket auto).

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Phoenix .22LR is probably the best of the cheapies, and got fairly good reviews form Guntests magazine some years back. They even have a "shooter's kit" with two lengths of barrels (3" and 5", IIRC), and all in a plastic case. The pistol alone generally goes for less than $150 at gun/Pawnshops. It's basically a 'pocket pistol', not a full size target/plinker type.
    For a good reliable .22 handgun, go with a revolver - Heritage Arrms or Tanfoglio TA series. Available used for pretty cheap, and fairly well built.
  8. FISHPOND

FISHPOND G&G Newbie

I highly recomend a Ruger Mrk II. They are great little pistols and very accurate.
  9. SgtKnuckles

SgtKnuckles G&G Newbie

10. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

I was actually looking for more of conceal-able sized pistol for the GF to both plink with and also carry around with her. I know a .22 isn't the best thing to carry, and have done tons of reading on it, but she already has a .22 rifle so I figured it would be convenient.

Ill look into the Taurus and the Phoenix!

Thanks alot!
  11. GlockMeister

Honseslty, I think a .22 could get her in more trouble then help her if she ever needs to use it for protection. I mean better than nothing but. Why not look into a .32 or a .380 at least. I mean at least then it'll have some stopping power. Ammo will still be kind of reasonable and can still plink with it. Maybe a Bersa .380. They can be had for about $200 or so.
  12. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

I am about to get a Hi-Point 9mm. If she likes that, then she might end p with one of those instead. Id rather not have to keep track of a bunch of different types of ammo (especially in an emergency), which is why I started with the .22. This will be something that she could carry in a SHTF scenario along with her rifle, and have only one batch of ammo that both weapons share.

As far as inflicting damage, I think it will more more effective than, say, pepper spray, heh. Plus, the cost of ammo means she can practice a bunch more than if she used a centerfire weapon, which is a plus. Based on her opinion of and experiences with my 9mm carbine and her .22LR rifle, I think she will be able to much more accurately dump a magazine at a target with a .22 than with a 9mm. At very close ranges, no bullet is really going to stop a determined BG before harm is influcted. But from ranges like accross the parking lane or something, Id rather her make eight .22" holes rather than two or three .35" holes. Basically, I am trying to say that the best weapon is the one that can be used most comfortably, and I am making an educated guess that she would be much more comfortable with a .22 than a 9mm or even a .38.
  13. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

The phoenix is cheaper and it looks bad ass. But i would look into the ruger lcp.
  14. GlockMeister

Well you said this is your lady, just get her something reliable. I'm unfamiliar with Hi-Point so I won't comment. There's tons of 9mm's out there in a wide range of prices also. Good luck.
  15. Zen900

Zen900 G&G Newbie

I didn't know you were after a concealed type pistol. I have no guess for you to get her but 22LR and 22 magnum have excellent penetration. In todays world where CCW holders carry 45caliber full sized semiautos some folks think the tiny 22 is a pea shooter but many people carry 22 pistols for self defense. 22mag pistols are a bit larger. A 22 magnum two shot derringer is a deadly self defense weapon but I have no idea what they cost.

From what you are asking I'd suggest the KelTec P32. It's the lightest semiauto pistol made. It holds 8 shots of 32 caliber and but it can be treated like a revolver. It weighs less than the Taurus and the Pheonix. You can carry it in a shirt pocket or hang it around your neck on a necklace. It weighs half what a Taurus 22 weighs. I kid thee not.

You have asked an interesting question because concealable and plinking guns are two different beasts.
  16. alaskamonte

alaskamonte Suspended

Cheese whiz!

The major downfall of any rimfire is the dreaded click with No Bang! Using MATCH grade ammo reduces the odds of Click with No Bang which leaves a revolver in rimfire or any centerfire.
  17. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The Phoenix HP22 with short barrel is on a par sizewise with the basic pocket pistols like a Bersa or Walther PPK - just less power. Decently 'concealable'.
    But for defense, I would go with something with more "oomph!"
    The High-Point pistols tend to be clunky and heavy - they are straight blowback design, so need more mass in the slide. Good shooters, but they take up more 'purse space', IMHO.
    You need to rethink the "cheap" thing - this is your lady's life in the balance, after all! Don't scrimp.
  18. Taurus Fan

Taurus Fan G&G Newbie

From reviews of people that have owned the Phoenix, you may want to pass.
  19. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

Thanks guys! I found the Taurus at Academy Sports & Outdoors for $209.

Also:
    That is what I've read. Penetration shouldn't really be a problem. And like I said, twice as many holes, regardless of size, means effectively twice as many chances to strike something vital!

Yeah. My thinking is that you can plink all day with a concealable pistol, but you cant conceal a plinking pistol, heh.
  20. Fatstrat

Fatstrat G&G Regular

Be sure to use SP ammo instead of HP for max penetration.