Cheaper Than Dirt Ammo is More costly than GOLD

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by KW Gary M, Jan 22, 2009.

1. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I just got the newest Cheaper Than Dirt catalogue in yesterday's mail. I was reading it this morning and thought it was a misprint. I had to take out the catalogue I got in November to double check. The same box of Golden Saber .40 in 165 Grain that was $14.69 is now $29.36. Hydrashok 9MM that was $32.47 is now $53.97. I understand ammo costs are up thanks to Obama Bin Laden but that is pure greed. Sportsman's guide hasn't gone up that high. Bass is the exact same price it has been for a year. The more I deal with Cheaper Than Dirt the less I like them. That catalogue went right in the trash.
  2. RookieShooter

RookieShooter G&G Newbie

Hummmmmm

I'll have to take a look at that.
    Thanks for the heads up.
  3. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

I don't really think Osama has anything to do

with the price of ammunition in America. I do believe "what the market will bear" has a lot to do with it. As long as fear based buying dominates the gun world they have no reason to lower prices.
  4. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

IMHO, Cheaper than Dirt has always been higher priced than many other outfits. A few cents variance I can accept but CTD is usually a few dollars more. I will not deal with CTD unless as a final resort. Let them know what you think, they most likely won't care but at least you will have done your part...and then buy elsewhere.
    Ammunition to Go is the best for prices and customer service; second would be J&G.
  5. RookieShooter

RookieShooter G&G Newbie

With my limited experience in all this
    gun arena stuff I have to agree with
    The Fear Factor
    IMHO
  6. Basalt

Basalt G&G Newbie

Cheaper Than Dirt = More Expensive Than The Other Guys

Domestic ammo manufacturers are probably limiting their production because they don't want to get stuck with a lot of inventory they can't sell if ammo serialization goes into effect. This means two things. First, the price of domestic ammo is through the roof. Second, major online retailers and major chains like Walmart are limiting THEIR orders so THEY don't get stuck with inventory they can't sell; so we see a lot of "out of stock" notices.

I think the spread between domestic and imported ammo prices will increase in weeks to come. foreign producers, even though the US may be a major part of their sales, don't have as much risk at this point in time.

That said, I doubt that ammo prices, imported or domestic, are going to go down significantly, adjusted for inflation, for the next 8 years.

Ergo, BLOAT (and learn to reload before they make THAT illegal too.) :aargh4:
  7. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Cheaper than Dirt is hopefully overpriced in their catalog...

...or this ammo and firearm blitz is crazier than I realized.

And, I've been aware of and preparing for it for awhile...

...and greed is a terrible thing!
  8. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That was OBAMA Bin Laden not his buddy Osama.
  9. USASA

USASA G&G Newbie

The name they use...Cheaper Than Dirt is a real misnomer. Strictly B.S. as far as this outfit is concerned. Not only is their ammo outrageous, most of the stuff they sell is overpriced.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  10. 30-30man

30-30man G&G Newbie

I found that often the catalog is much cheaper than what they are really selling it for. The last catalog I got was last week. They had S&B 7.62 x54r listed at $16.99 then you go to their website and it is $21.99. I quit them a long time ago. They are a dishonest bunch of rip off artist and anyone who does business with them while they are gouging the people who love our hobby, should be ashamed. I even asked them to remove my name from their mailing list but I still get their crap in the mail. I can't believe Potterfield lets this continue, Midway is a good business but they are also linked to CTD. Oh well, makes good tinder for the fireplace.
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I've had good luck

With Sportsman's Guide as well as Nachez shooting supplies. Brownell's is the best for parts.

Also, when ordering from Double Tap or Buffalo Bore (especially Buffalo Bore), I've always had great customer service.

I've not had bad experiences with CTD in any way, but due to their higher prices in general in the catalog I've not ordered anything for about 6 months + . Gun prices at their store in FTW have been OK; but their ammo there is pretty steep. They do have some stuff I can't find elsewhere though.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2009
  12. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Wonder who'll wind up doing more overall damage to our nation in the long run (when historians look at things a couple of generations from now).
  13. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Very good point. The only difference I see is Osama admits he is out to destroy America.
  14. mx308250

mx308250 G&G Newbie

I don't know dirt is pretty expensive. Have you bought any lately?
  15. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega G&G Newbie

I've always had good customer service with CTD. But their ammo prices are getting out of hand. $400 for 500 rounds of Wolf??? HA!
  16. bassoneer

bassoneer G&G Newbie

Same at a gun store here in Knoxville...I had bought some Golden Sabers for $19.99 a couple of months ago. Monday I saw the price was now over $30.
  17. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I find Sportsman's Guide to have Golden Sabers pretty cheap. If you buy several boxes it will justify the shipping. If your going to spend $99 or more send me a PM. I have about 5 codes for $10 off that need to be used before the end of February.
  18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

That's OK. CTD makes up for ripping you off by also charging you too much for shipping.
  19. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

My cast bullets wont have any numbers on em:usa:

Our freedom wasn't won with a registered gun
  20. dsschuler

dsschuler G&G Newbie

Natchez is the cheapest I have found, they have different ammo on sale every week.