Chilean Mauser Questions

Discussion in 'Mausers' started by jmeck, Nov 28, 2008.

1. jmeck

jmeck Scope mount mfgr. Forum Contributor

I've been looking at some Chilean Mausers in the 7.62x51 nato cal.
    Are all these rifles rebarreled? Or just rechambered and rerifled. I've also heard they are for the most part very accurate, is this true? Does anyone
    here own one? I have heard the Spanish Mauser carbines in 7.62 nato are
    not very good shooters. Any advice or info would be appreciated. Thanks
  2. whirlwind

whirlwind G&G Enthusiast

idunno about the ones chambered in .308 but i had a mauser from chili chambered in 7MM and that was one of the most accurate rifles of all my military rifles. ex-wife number two took her and sold her during my divorce just to hack me off and im ashamed to say it worked!
  3. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I have one of each and was told the Chilenos in .308 are not safe to shoot. I shoot the 7mm Mauser all the time.
  4. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

There are a few Chilean Mauser, those that are based on the Mauser M95 action should not be shot if chambered in 7.62 Nato using .308 Win. ammo; those that are based on the M98 action are usually seen with the crest and Modelo 1912, the left side of the receiver side rail is stamped "WAFFENFABRIK
    STEYR" with "AUSTRIA" underneath. These are definitely capable of shooting in 7.62 Nato.
  5. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I've got a Spanish Mauser in 7.62 that is very accurate.
  6. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Does anyone have any documented evidence of a chilean mauser of the small ring type blowing up or coming apart, I have never been able to find any, if you have this kind of documentation would you please froward it to me or tell me where I can obtain it.I have had several of them in my shop over the years and the people that had them were using factory .308 in them and have been able to find no problems with them and I carefully inspected them and miked the actions and even had the bolt on one X-ray and could fine no cracks.
    thanks Steve
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2008
  7. jmeck

I too would like some proof of this happening. Not to say I don't believe
    what KR75T is saying, but I've found that gun stories are like fish stories.
    Minnows tend to turn into trophy bass. I am wondering if perhaps the stories of 7.62 milsurps "blowing up " aren't due to using 308 win. handloads that were loaded a bit too "hot". I know this is a contraversal
    subject that has been rehashed a million times.Sure I'm going to steer to the safe side like most will,...but what if we are passing up some fine shooting rifles due to miss-information, or miss-use of a firearm.
  8. K75RT

K75RT G&G Enthusiast

I certainly would not pass on any untrue information, my info is based on my training and education as well as my references. I do not have any documentation of a failure while using .308 in a M93/95 Mauser. Yet, the SAAMI rates the .308 chamber pressure at 52,000 psi the Mauser91-93-95 is rated at 45,000 psi and that is only when properly heat treated. When I was in business I always erred on the side of caution. INHO an action that is rated at 45,000 psi is stressed by some 7,000 psi. I understand there are several arms that are chambered in 7.62Nato that will chamber .308 Win. What I always told my customers was if you hand load you can safely shoot your rifle, look for loads in the .300 Savage area and you are OK. My references are NRA publication, notes from school and some general knowledge.... If it were my rifle and it is a M95 chambered I'd choose not to shoot .308 Win in it. I personally would hand load some nice .300 Savage loads in the .308 case and have no problems.
    There is a lot of misinformation on the net and I try to be safe and truthful. I try to give reasonable explanations that would lead a prudent person to think twice....Infact I own a Spanish FR7 in 7.62, I handload it to .300 Savage levels and I've never any signs of excessive pressure.
  9. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

K75RT I load my Spanish 1916(which is basicly a 93) to About .300
    Savage levels but have loaded hotter with no problems. Although I
    haven't done it to that level much. I've shot standard .308's in it too.
    Its a accurate rifle that I've killed 13 deer and 2 coyotes with.
  10. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

I to am a trained gunsmith and I did not ask the question to question or impune anyone or their traning or experience I just ask the question to see if there was or had ever been any documented evidence of these particular rifles rupturing form the use of factory .308 win ammuntion, and i darned sure don't like being treated as if I were some kind of idot.:hitwithrock:
  11. jmeck

Thank you gentleman for all your info and insight about this tpye of converted Mauser.:)
  12. Capt'n Mil Coll

Hey Jmeck in my opinion I would stay with the 7mm Mauser Chileno. I love mine. I shoot it and have shot it a lot. I dont know about the 7.62x51 but I am not going to shoot mine. Others have said the 95 Mauser is not the best rifle because they only have 2 locking lugs compared to the 3 on the 98's. I dont care Ill still shoot mine.
  13. sbrown2609

sbrown2609 G&G Newbie

m1912

hey guys i'm new to the post but i have a mauser that matches the descriptions seen here. it has the crest and modelo and streyer austria in all the right places it has a curved down bolt handle the rear site is graduated up to 20 (200 meters?) it does have M12 .308 engraved close to the end of the barrel next to the muzzle. I recently bought this gun for 150 bucks at a pawn shop, which it had already been sporterized with a synthetic stock and a nice scope on it. I have shot it with the .308 factory loads, 165 gr Fusion ammo with no problems and killed a deer w/ it this season. Any one have any input or more info on this gun????? Ask if you need more info i would like to find out more about it, especially since it says .308 on it.
  14. pico

pico G&G Newbie

I have many Chilean Mausers that have been rebarrelled and shot or have been shot at the current setup. The Chilean Mausers rebarrelled and sold as .308 are not .308 but instead are NATO 7.62x51. These should be safe to shoot the NATO Ball ammo, but stay away from .308 as you may blow the two locking lugs off of the bolt and sheer off the bolt handle, catching the bolt with your face and eye.

I have the 1895 in 7mm Mauser, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, .257 Roberts, 6.5x55, and 9.5x57. It is the strongest action of the pre 1898 Mausers, and should be safe to shoot most out there. Some were heat treated by gunsmiths in the past to allow them to handle some of the higher pressure loads, but having only the 2 true lugs makes me prefer a 98 action to these for the larger chamberings.
  15. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Many of us have been all over the Net, and NOT ONCE have we found direct evidence of a small ring Mauser failing with factory or normal handloaded .308Win ammo. One of the early importers back in the 80's subjected these rifles to a test, and IIRC, it took some 90,000 PSI pressure level to destroy them. This test info is 'out there' if your Google FU is strong.
    Still, I load my 7.62X51 ammo for my Spanish M1916 (small ring Mauser) to approximate .30-40 Krag level, just in case. My FR8 (large ring Mauser) handles milsurp 7.62X51 with no problem, and has eaten it's share of .308Win. Inspect the lugs after every shoot for set back - mine have been okay so far.
    So, it's a matter of what YOU are comfortable with. I tend to err on the side of caution - and I still shoot the old war horses.
  16. pico

pico G&G Newbie

Good point made for examining your bolt from lug damage after shooting sessions. I tend to agree that these older weapons are built like a brick outhouse, but would caution on shooting these rifles with rounds they are not really intended to shoot. The military converted these rifles to fire the NATO .30 cal round, so I am just guessing they did not want their soldiers killed by improper arms. With that in mind, you could always get a chamber adapter to fire .32ACP in place of the rifle round.
  17. Capt'n Mil Coll

We actually have a posting on G&G explaining and showing how the .308 M95 Chilenos were rechambered with an insert. This insert is very hard to see. It works its way back from the front of the chamber and eventually can cause catastropic failure of the reciever. It would be like shooting a low serial number 1903 Springfield.

You may end up shooting it all your life with no problems. Or you may end up dead from reciever failure. Or anything in between.

Its your choice. Its your life. I am very serious about this. You should be as well.
  18. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

I also have been looking at one of these old Mausers. I am not expert by any means but the fact remains these rifles are modified to shoot a round that they were not originally designed for. The thought of that bolt coming straight back into my face is enough for me to go with the 7mm option if and when I do get one. I'm not trying to tell all of you other guys what you should be doing just my perspective. A possibility is enough to make me pass on the 308 or 7.62 chamber ones.

Michael
  19. sbrown2609

sbrown2609 G&G Newbie

hey guys, what i'm trying to figure out is.... On the barrel of my mauser it is actually stamped into the metal (very neatly) m12 .308. This is located near the end of the barrel at the muzzle end. Would it not be safe to shoot the .308 in this. It has no other caliber markings on it whatsoever and i've always gone by what it says on the gun to shoot. Thank you for any help. After reading these posts i am scared to shoot my new gun.
  20. Capt'n Mil Coll

Is yours a M95 Chileno Mauser? It sounds like it is a different model.