Choke for Dove Shooting

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SDorton9, Jan 16, 2008.

1. SDorton9

SDorton9 G&G Newbie

This is probably common knowledge but it cant hurt to ask. One of my friends from school said he bring me along dove hunting for the first time. I plan on using a 12Ga. O/U with 30 inch barrels. What choke and load would you recommend for dove hunting? As of now im planning on like an 8 shot 3 dram load but am at a complete loss for what choke to use...probably just a cylinder or maybe modified.
    Thanks,
    Steve
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I prefer Improved cylinder or modified but advise carrying all available chokes or if you have stationarry chokes,carry more than one barrel or gun.Let us know how you do but dont come back claiming 100%,as that I would either not believe or cry over. sam.
  3. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I've read that with high quality ammo the full chokes arn't needed.
    Depending on the terrain your hunting such as a field I would personaly take all the chokes that came with the shotgun and see what combination works best.
    My brother in law takes a weeks vaction to Dove hunt and travels to one of the many farming communitys here to hunt.
    He use's a Browning Citori feather 12 ga. 26 barrels and carrys duplicate cylinder, modified and full chokes it all depends on where your at when you set up.
    So if you don't have all the chokes then go buy them 2 of each kind and then shoot your gun to see what the different chokes do. You may even have a cylinder in one barrel and a modified in the other.
    Where I live we have big wide right of ways and pastures, but it's hard to get permission to hunt in pastures or someone else has permission.
    I discovered modified was best for me with a 28" barrel pump action.
    I don't much care for 8 shot I use 7 1/2's and even 6's.
    You say your gun has 30" barrels I would see how your modified choke does in it at the range but try them all.
    Get to know that shotgun learn what shells it likes best and what the different chokes do. Just my two cents.
    A.H
  4. dixierat

dixierat G&G Newbie

early in the eason an IC might be ok. I always preferred a full choke for the extra range. My favorite dove gun was an old bolt action .410 FC with either #7 or #8 shot.
  5. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

improved and modified, if a lot of high fliers use modified and full
  6. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I generally use an IM with 7 1\2 shot, 1 1\8 oz loads.
  8. SDorton9

SDorton9 G&G Newbie

Thanks guys, I've learned a lot from this site.
  9. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Enthusiast

Improved cylinder to modified. I usually use imp cyl.
  10. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Cylinder bore and improved

Dove are smaller, faster moving type targets.
    You do not want to be overchoked. This has been my experience in West Texas where I was raised and dove hunted each season.
  11. SDorton9

SDorton9 G&G Newbie

Yea Nathan, Unlike shooting trap, i figured they'd be small and wicked agile so I should back off the full choke. The question was just how far?
  12. Dustdevil

Dustdevil G&G Newbie

Personally, I prefer Mod and Imp Cyl. with either #7-1/2 or #8 shot. Doves are soft birds, and here in the west are often flying toward you or a passing shot. Rarely do I shoot doves going away. My first shot is more often farther away, so it's mod first in the bottom barrel, then IC in the top for the second shot, which is usually closer. My gun of choice is either a Browning Superposed w/30" or Beretta 686 w/28".
  13. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I don't mean to get off topic here but has anyone had in experience in shootin at the Imported Doves ? There bigger and have a white ring around there neck.
    Maybe there only in Arkansas.
    I was driveing down a street in town during our Deer season and noticed a flock of big birds on a side walk. It looked like someone had busted a bag of corn on.
    As I got closer they were these new Doves and were about as big as Pigeons.
    They seem to be multiplying fast around South Arkansas.
    Anyone have any experience with these Doves ?
  14. Big Faulky

Big Faulky G&G Newbie

A.H. we noticed, east tx, that some of the dove were smaller. heard something about mexican dove. havent seen any biggens tho. i like modified choke and #6
  15. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Suggestion

Definitely a cylinder on one barrel.
    I would recommend an improved cylinder on the other barrel. Dove can come in very fast so you want a wide pattern.
  16. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

A.H., we've got quite a few of the eurasian ringnecks around here, along with white-wings, mourning dove, and the Mexican rock doves.