Colt Defender .45

Discussion in 'Colt' started by EvanL, Mar 2, 2012.

1. EvanL

EvanL G&G Newbie

I have a Colt Defender series 90 .45 acp. I have always had problems with this gun stove piping and having very bad feed problems. I took it out the other day after not shooting it for awhile and its just horrible now, every couple shots it jams up or has a problem. I tried multiple mags and ammo and same problem. Its to the point where it doesn't leave the safe at all anymore and i have no desire even to take it out and deal with it. Does anyone have any idea what can be causing this i know this cant be normal for this gun can it?
  2. jwernecke

jwernecke G&G Newbie

Have someone else try and shoot it. My first reaction to stove piping and FTEs is limp wristing. The Defender being a compact i'm sure it has a pretty stout recoil, and would not be hard to limp wrist it.

Where you have already checked ammo, and magazine problems, the shooter would be the next place I would look.

Also you could shoot it again, just be conscious of your grip and make dang sure that you are holding your wrist firm. You dont have to squeeze the grip like your trying to choke somebody but not letting that wrist break up can make a lot of difference.

Good Luck.
  3. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

I pretty well confirmed that I was limp wristing my PF9 by bracing tightly to the shooting bench. From the bench, no FTF & standing up & two handed, FTF on every mag.

Also, another PF9 shooter suggested that when shooting two handed I might be relying on my support hand & paying less attention to my strong hand grip. Tried it one handed & no FTF, even when shooting weak handed!

Give it a try.

Only other thing I can think of is the extractor possible needs adjustment?
  4. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

What ammo have you tried? Have you tried premium ammo.?
    I have been comparing notes on upgrading my Titan recoil spring.
    It will take the 3.18" Defender Guide Rod and 17 or 22 lb springs.
    Kimber Ultra Carry II will take the 3" guide rod assembly, but it may be too short.
    Call Colt and ask for some new spring specs on that pistol.
    They are nice looking guns, but one has been in the glass at my gun shop for two years.
  5. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

I would do all that has been mention, someone else to shoot it, ammo and mags. I would contact Colt-they will stand behind it. Part of he problem is every now and agian short barrelled 1911's have feeding problems. You might also try calling Neil Keller-world renoun 1911 pistol smith @ 260-724-3065-you might have to leave a message. He built a 1911 for President Bush-jr. He lives in Decatur, Indiana.